2021: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skyscraper, 2nd Nov 2020.

1. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

Yes they’ve all got proper fencing to fit in to their areas.

Also I believe the music for that advert has been done by Simon Allen (who works for towers and has done plenty of park music), so I imagine he would have also created a soundtrack for each ride, I guess probably all playing the same music, but some kind of retro style music.

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Officially there was a list of rides you had to wear a mask on, in practice it was pretty much everything.

3. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

Last season it was limited to coasters , indoor rides, and for some reason Marauders Mayhem (if I remember rightly) . This is a blanket rule now which makes it easier to enforce for staff , the only exceptions are those who have been issued an exemption card, and of course water rides

4. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

So people have to wear masks everywhere? Including walking around the park

5. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    No, that's not what it says. "...on all rides and any other locations (for all guests aged 11 years and over) where they are required" will mean, as it states, on all rides, and other locations they'd be ordinarily required, so basically anything indoors. I assume this will mean they're still not required in queues then.

Islander and Skyscraper like this.
  6. Ethan

No ut most people would wear them in queues surely given that they're crammed and claustrophobic

7. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Not necessarily, as the queues are still going to be spread out and are mostly outdoors so in theory they're not particularly high risk areas. Obviously some queue lines are more open than others - Nemesis is much less claustrophobic than Smiler.

At least it's not Six Flags Great Adventure though - their policy is that masks must be worn at all times whilst in the park, even if you're just walking around on empty paths.

jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
  8. Burbs

Burbs TowersStreet Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    Seems like this must be pretty common in the States then, as I believe it's the same at Disney? Seems like a fairly silly rule (I can appreciate it in queue lines where you're likely to be standing next to the same people for an extended period of time as opposed to just passing on paths), but I suppose the deck chairs won't rearrange themselves.

Skyscraper likes this.
  9. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

I believe so - the only time guests are allowed to remove masks is when they are sitting down to eat or in one of the specially designated relaxation stations. I think I read that guests are expected to wear mask even if they are sat in restaurants but are not actively eating.

jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
  10. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

I have a feeling the ‘retro squad’ will be here a lot longer than the 1 year anticipated

I can see these flats being fairly successful, and once Merlin spot this, they may change their thought process

It’s clear this is a capacity boosting exercise- but I can see it as a pathway to permanent replacements being built.

It is also clear this is an AT management decision, not a Merlin decision.

Ethan likes this.
  11. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Aren’t the Retrosquad hired in though? Wouldn’t the respective showman of each ride want it back for the travelling fair circuit after this season?

12. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I've got a feeling that the Retrosquad and events were probably originally intended to be part of the 40th anniversary celebrations last year, but the park decided to move them to this year because of how short the season was last year. That makes sense given the advert is set in 1980, Towers' opening year.

Last edited: 8th Apr 2021
    Heidi and Matt N like this.
  13. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    That makes sense; I remember the park announced a similar large-scale calendar of events for 2020 that never went ahead, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Retro Squad was also intended to be a 2020 attraction.

Also, it would seem the park has conjured up an interesting little side story to encourage people to ride all 3; each ride’s description is ended with “Cowabunga! You’re one step closer to joining the Retro Squad!”, so I think they’re trying to imply that you can “join the Retro Squad” once you’ve ridden all 3, which I think is quite a cool way to encourage people to ride all 3!

Buster11 and Skyscraper like this.
  14. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Disney are relaxing their rule slightly, from next week you can remove your mask for outdoor socially distanced photographs. Previously the only time a mask could be removed was while activily eating or drinking (while socially distanced). They had to add the word actively eating as some people were walking round carrying a drink or snack to try and get away without wearing a mask.

Whereas in the UK we've generally taken the route that masks are only required indoors as the natural ventilation is okay outdoors. Except for theme park rides where screaming is seen to add to the risk so masks are required even outdoors.

15. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Park opening hours for next week. I nearly fell off my chair.

[​IMG]

Hours for future dates don’t seem to have been updated yet.

Alsty, jmc, Connor98 and 7 others like this.
  16. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    That has to be a mistake surely?!

17. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    It is no mistake. I've been waiting on the update for days.

Expect other hours to update on a rolling basis dependent on guest numbers and weather.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

jmc, Charlie Newbold, WillPS and 3 others like this.
  18. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Alton Towers is great.

Really been putting a smile on my face the past few weeks.

Can't wait for the new season.

Matt.GC, Alsty, Jb85 and 8 others like this.
  19. Ethan

Wait what? Until 8pm first week of the season? I must be dreaming surely. This can't be happening

AstroDan likes this.
  20. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Looking forward to seeing who might be the first person to put a negative spin on this....! :p

In all seriousness, brilliant news! Has the park ever opened this late in April before?

Bert2theSpark and Skyscraper like this.