• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The lockdown isn't gonna last that long idk how you think it will
The lockdown may have ended by March but then it depends what tier Staffordshire moorlands is in whether the park can open or not. The fact they have opened a testing centre for anyone in the local area to use to try and reduce the amount of asymptomatic spreaders in the area means they are trying everything possible to be in a low tier when the lockdown ends, but personally I'm not holding out hope that the season will start on time. Fingers crossed it does though!

Last edited:
The lockdown may have ended by March but then it depends what tier the Staffordshire moorlands is in whether the park can open or not. The fact they have opened a testing centre for anyone in the local area to use to try and reduce the amount of asymptomatic spreaders in the area means they are trying everything possible to be in a low tier when the lockdown ends, but personally I'm not holding out hope that the season will start on time. Fingers crossed it does though!
Thing is though, if we go back to tiers then lockdown technically hasn't ended. The "end", with all restrictions lifted, is a very long way off yet unfortunately. :(

To some of us, lockdown hasn't technically started, it is a poor term, there is nobody in lockdown apart from those fully shielding due to medical conditions or isolating at home with the virus or recovering.
Being allowed out for work, shopping, exercise etc makes the term pretty meaningless.
Can't see the parks being opened under local rules, people outside Staffordshire Moorlands have been known to visit the Towers.
With a constantly evolving virus, this is probably going to take years to get things back to a "normal" situation, not months.

Thing is though, if we go back to tiers then lockdown technically hasn't ended. The "end", with all restrictions lifted, is a very long way off yet unfortunately. :(
Depends which tier you're in, tier 1 is almost business as usual just with added social distancing. Although I agree that that level of freedom is a long way off.

Most likely after schools "re-open" (I use that term loosely as I know many children are still in school), most of the country will go back to tier 4 or if you're lucky tier 3 for at least a month after. Strictly speaking the park can open if it's under tier 3 restrictions, although questions will be raised about whether that is the right thing to do in the current circumstances

If cases are low enough and enough over-50s have been vaccinated, Staffordshire Moorlands could very well find itself in Tier 3/Tier 2 come March.

The vaccine rollout is occurring at surprising pace, and lockdown is already starting to show signs of reducing rates in many areas. I think the situation will look considerably brighter by the time the park is due to open, and even if it doesn’t end up opening as planned on 20th March (I personally still think that is very much attainable at this point), I’d be very surprised if it didn’t open at some point in April or possibly the beginning of May in a very worst case scenario.

Over 1000 people a day are currently dying of covid in this country. One thousand people per day.

I would be extremely surprised (and concerned) if attractions such as Alton Towers were permitted to open in mid-March.

Over 1000 people a day are currently dying of covid in this country. One thousand people per day.

I would be extremely surprised (and concerned) if attractions such as Alton Towers were permitted to open in mid-March.
Yes but the population is nearly 70 million in the UK. Survival rate is about 98% so could be a lot worse

Ah right yeah, let’s crack on and ride rollercoasters then.
The reason we're in this position in the first place is because of the government's stupidity, ignorance and incompetence. Quite why they'd put London in tier 2 and then not move them into tier 3 until its too late so they end up going into a proper lockdown meaning they can't mix for Christmas resulting in half of London leaving to go elsewhere to be with family and spreading it everywhere. It was obvious that was going to happen so they shouldve stopped all transport leaving London

The vaccine rollout is occurring at surprising pace, and lockdown is already starting to show signs of reducing rates in many areas. I think the situation will look considerably brighter by the time the park is due to open, and even if it doesn’t end up opening as planned on 20th March (I personally still think that is very much attainable at this point), I’d be very surprised if it didn’t open at some point in April or possibly the beginning of May in a very worst case scenario.
Vaccine rollout is going well at the moment, one thing to consider is if the pace will continue as such when the infrastructure has to deliver first and second doses at the same time. At the moment, we have the 'luxury' of doing first shots only (for the most part).

BPB seem to be pushing ahead confirming 27/3 orders along with Towers for 20/3 I've seen. I can't help but see this as foolhardy. I can't see why parks wouldn't wait vs the mega faff of all the refunds. I suppose it does help the balance sheets temporarily.

BPB seem to be pushing ahead confirming 27/3 orders along with Towers for 20/3 I've seen. I can't help but see this as foolhardy. I can't see why parks wouldn't wait vs the mega faff of all the refunds. I suppose it does help the balance sheets temporarily.

I'd agree, it does seem foolhardy for parks to be taking bookings for expected opening dates, when there are so many uncertainties at present.

Even if Towers were to re-validate any tickets they had to cancel for a future date, I bet you'd still have to reserve your future date in advance. They are just asking for an admin nightmare, that whilst possibly helping the balance sheet, will end up costing them money.

I'd agree, it does seem foolhardy for parks to be taking bookings for expected opening dates, when there are so many uncertainties at present.

Even if Towers were to re-validate any tickets they had to cancel for a future date, I bet you'd still have to reserve your future date in advance. They are just asking for an admin nightmare, that whilst possibly helping the balance sheet, will end up costing them money.
They must have revalidating / moving bookings for future slots down to an art form now.

Uncertainty is certainly the flavour of these times, seems foolish not to take money off folk if they are wanting to give it you.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.