• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
No they'll just open it at the start of the season as planned because there's going to be social distancing all year most likely

Given the scant regard Towers had to social distancing last season (i.e. just allegedly reduce park capacity & rely on guests to use common sense, wear masks & follow floor markings) I bet they will open as planned. The only thing that will stop them is government legislation, such as that currently in place.

Given the scant regard Towers had to social distancing last season (i.e. just allegedly reduce park capacity & rely on guests to use common sense, wear masks & follow floor markings)
I think towers did all they could tbf. Regular announcements to tell people to stick to Chevrons and keep masks on

I think towers did all they could tbf. Regular announcements to tell people to stick to Chevrons and keep masks on

Yes, there is only so much the park can do. However, you only have to read the TripAdvisor reviews from when the park reopened. It was clear that a significant number of guests were ignoring the rules. There were also suggestions that park capacity was not being restricted quite as much as Towers would have you believe. Merlin were chasing profit over guest safety IMO. They heavily restricted the ability of annual passholders to visit and seemingly let in rather a lot of pre-booked day visitors who generated them more profit.

When things start to calm down, I will be very selective about where I go - and based on what I've read on TripAdvisor, Towers will not be on the list. If I visit a pub, I'll select wisely and only visit small independent ones that do not attract clientele who want a £1.99 pint x10 - and distancing goes out of the window after the 5th pint.

I mean this is no great surprise, but Alton Towers have updated the website yesterday to confirm all bookings up to 28th Feb have been cancelled, including the scaled back half term event.

Leek Signs have been busy creating new signage for Towers!

139462754_3755574001152109_8280393553621166735_o.jpg

139571589_3755574227818753_2312217338004310430_o.jpg

They've also done this awesome livery for Towers' Security vehicles!

139456829_3755559707820205_2662781069890885288_o.jpg

139682135_3755559781153531_1960914458816230061_o.jpg

Well hopefully in a couple of months we come out of lockdown and towers can open on time. Then we can get back onto coasters again and have a good season

Well hopefully in a couple of months we come out of lockdown and towers can open on time. Then we can get back onto coasters again and have a good season
I'd take that with a pinch of salt mate. Towers have already cancelled all their February bookings and events.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt mate. Towers have already cancelled all their February bookings and events.
Because there's very little chance of the lockdown ending before mid February? And yet there's a high chance of it ending by mid March.

So I really wouldn't take the cancellation of February to have any baring on the likelihood of a start to season at a normal-ish time.

How can you be so sure?
I'm no expert in epidemiology, but...
New variants popping up here and there, idiots not conforming to the rules, one fifth of the population likely to decline the vaccination, footballers hugging for England, and with the Christmas holidays increasing rates in a great many areas, why do you think there will not be an Easter repeat?
The first priority will be to reopen schools, then non essential shops.
After Easter probably for theme parks is my guess.

It’s said that Boris’ current plan is to return to a tier system in early March, with the local tiers being decided by deaths, hospital admissions and also the percentage of over-50s who’ve been vaccinated. If Staffordshire Moorlands can get itself into a reasonably low tier post-lockdown, then I could see a March opening as originally planned being able to happen.
How can you be so sure?
I'm no expert in epidemiology, but...
New variants popping up here and there, idiots not conforming to the rules, one fifth of the population likely to decline the vaccination, footballers hugging for England, and with the Christmas holidays increasing rates in a great many areas, why do you think there will not be an Easter repeat?
The first priority will be to reopen schools, then non essential shops.
After Easter probably for theme parks is my guess.
There’s a key thing to remember; after Easter, the vaccine will be far more prevalent than it was before Christmas, with a far greater number having been vaccinated. I know you say about how 20% will allegedly reject the vaccine, but it might not end up being that high for all we know (anti-vaxxers certainly seem to be a definite minority of people compared to the entire population), and even if it is that high, 80% is still a substantial percentage of people to be vaccinated. When the vaccines we’re currently deploying are said to be between 70% and 95% effective, that should definitely have an effect, and make the situation considerably better than it was before Christmas.

The thing to remember is that the vaccine was barely in circulation at all in December (some had had it, but the number was very, very limited; mainly limited to within healthcare and care home circles), whereas by the Spring, a pretty substantial amount of the population should have been vaccinated. I’ve got to say, the rollout has occurred at an impressive speed so far, with relatively few problems, so I’m hopeful!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.