• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They're just classic rides that are found at virtually all fairs.

Most staple rides for British fairgrounds:

-Waltzer
-Twist (PWS ones are the newer models and very slick so preferably one of these)
-Jump & Smile (different models available with either OSTRs or lap bars).
-KMG Freak out.
-Dodgem track
-Matterhorn
-KMG speed/fabbri booster (only seats 8 people so I assume would be too low throughput).
-NA super rides “superstar”.
-AK rides Starflyer (30/40m).
-Waveswinger
-Tivoli remix/extreme
-Miami

Based on what’s been discussed about the target market they are aiming the new flat rides for, i would expect a combination of four of the following rides.

Waveswinger or Starflyer, Miami, Matterhorn, dodgems, waltzer, twister, jump&smile.

Would be kind of funny if they hired a waveswinger or star flyer after the removal of the toadstall.

My main question though here is- how will these rides be operated and staffed? The funfair operators would ideally want to man it themselves although Alton towers might insist that park staff are trained on these rides and Merlin H&S procedures are followed. All of that is much more complicated from a logistical point of view than letting the families run their own rides on site. I could also potentially see them lean towards a jump&smile with ostrs rather than lap bars as they might view it as “safer” (even though it makes no difference). It will be interesting to see whether AT require all the standard h&s procedures and coswp procedures for the park to be followed or whether they just let the operators do their thing with their rides.

I personally don’t do travelling rides. The incidents per capita are alarmingly higher than at permanent theme parks. If they are Alton Towers operated/maintained I’ll probably give them a ride, if not then hopefully they make the coaster queues shorter!

The incidents per capita are alarmingly higher than at permanent theme parks.

Sorry to bring this up, but given the most serious ride incident in the UK in the last 10 years was the smiler crash, I think your comment doesn’t really have a leg to stand on.

The only two serious incidents I know of on the fairground circuit in the last years were on Taylor’s Airmax 360 smashing jump and on the PWS project X. In parks we’ve had splash canyon incident, smiler crash and Lightwater valley incident.

H&S Standards in the UK are similarly high for funfair rides as theme park rides and both will undergo regular checks. One individual family owning a ride can also be advantageous rather than having different engineers with different levels of knowledge about attractions working on it. Your comment lacks a leg to stand on and is really promoting false information. The chance of a ride accident on either a funfair ride or a theme park ride in the UK are equally low. Sure go to another country and the odds may be higher, or also lower (ie. Statistically lower in Germany).

This is bonkers!

I get the idea of needing more capacity, especially so with social distancing and indoor rides closed. I also get that the park is in sore need of flats and filler attractions after so many have been ripped out and not replaced.

However, it is a sorry state of affairs that the situation is now so bad that the parks only option is to hire out some fair rides rather than be given the money to put rides in properly...

Can’t wait to see a knock off Mickey Mouse or multiple bikini clad women on a garish backflash next to the Towers haha!

I do find it strange that with a month to go the park haven't officially announced anything. Regardless to them being temporary fair rides, surely the park would only bother installing them to advertise 'new rides' to increase interest and therefore attendance

I do find it strange that with a month to go the park haven't officially announced anything. Regardless to them being temporary fair rides, surely the park would only bother installing them to advertise 'new rides' to increase interest and therefore attendance

That doesn’t appear to be the reason they are being added. It is to help them cope with the demand that is already there.

I'll wonder if they'll be any attempt to theme them, or if they'll just be dumped as they are.

I expect they'll go with a dodgems as Chessington and Thorpe's are reasonably popular.

I hope this increases demand for a more permanent installation in future years.

I'd like a Tivoli Remix (preferably Extreme and run properly) but I really doubt Towers would get one. Preferably dump in on the Ripsaw site.

Assuming it is random plonkings as has been suggested, it would be better/nicer if they built a fairground area on the lawns and loosely themed at least the entrance as a classic carnival/fair. You could interspace with benches and bars etc also.

I think spreading them around the park is the best method, given the gaps where previous flats have been removed. Plus the lawns need to be empty ready for Oktoberfest/Fireworks and any other events they may have planned.

Obvious sites around the park:
Ripsaw site
Submission site
Dark Forest (where Boneshaker was)
David Walliams area (acts to lessen the impact on queues for GG)

I don't mind them being 'plonked' around the park, since it's temporary it will be fine and I'm sure Towers will do what they can to make them blend in as much as possible. I have my bets on lots of Leek Signs work since that will be the cheapest option to have some kind of (vinyl) theming going on.

This is a great move by Towers to be honest and a great opportunity to get a business case for permanent flat rides. Towers have been fairly successful with previous business cases such as this so I'm sure this will result in a positive outcome.

Flat rides at Towers in 2021, who would have thought it?!

I don't mind this idea. Unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures.

I would assume that the park will market and present them in a way that doesn't damage the park's brand. I can't imagine we'll see dodgy Marvel character rip-offs on facades or Happy Hardcore soundtracks.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.