• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Wouldn't be surprised if one of the stations went down due to overheating, as that has happened before.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the stations went down due to overheating, as that has happened before.
To be honest that is probably the root cause of most of the breakdowns that have happened on all the rides in the last few days. To much of a coincidence for all them to break down this week when up till now on the whole they've been fairly stable. Bring back the cold weather! :D

It does surprise me how many rides seem to go down in heat nowadays. It’s understandable if we’re in mid to high 30s, but yesterday was just a warm mid-20s day.

It does surprise me how many rides seem to go down in heat nowadays. It’s understandable if we’re in mid to high 30s, but yesterday was just a warm mid-20s day.
But that is air temperature - it won't be mid 20's for the track, sensors and stuff - if they're in constant direct sunlight then they will get significantly hotter

I think the current issue is also the fairly sudden change in weather, we've had three weeks of cool damp weather and suddenly its hot and dry. I think it was a high of about 15 a week ago and today a high of 25.

With regard to the topic of coaster temperature being discussed earlier; I know that many parks in America have their coasters fitted with water squirters in the stations, that squirt the wheels with cold water if it’s hot out. Maybe something similar might be a worthwhile investment for Alton Towers, for those hotter days?

With regard to Nemesis; I think it’s just getting older. Age is naturally going to cause more issues; as much as B&Ms are built to last, anything mechanical will show signs of wear and tear after so long.

Yet Kumba opened in 1993, has loads more wear and tear with year round operation and operates flawlessly without issues. It’s certainly a strange one.

I do know they do welding on Kumba overnight between park close and park open, but it doesn’t affect park operations like is happening on Nemmy.

Yet Kumba opened in 1993, has loads more wear and tear with year round operation and operates flawlessly without issues. It’s certainly a strange one.

I do know they do welding on Kumba overnight between park close and park open, but it doesn’t affect park operations like is happening on Nemmy.

But the major difference between the two is the climate. Temperature-wise Florida rarely falls below the teens and rises to and often above the mid 30s. Alton on the other hand is often in negative temperatures and can on occasions get as hot as Florida; so the temperature range Nemesis is exposed to is far greater and more severe than Kumba. Add to that the naturally damp environment Nemesis is in compared to Kumba and I think that's the reason why it it needing more attention the older it gets (compared to Kumba).

Not to mention that Nemesis also has the pit to contend with; as much as fitting the ride into that pit was an absolutely amazing feat of engineering, and the pit arguably enhances the ride strongly, it does also make the ride more vulnerable to structural problems.

I believe the ride has had supports replaced before due to structural problems deep within the pit, so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Nemesis is experiencing greater structural issues as it ages.

With regard to the topic of coaster temperature being discussed earlier; I know that many parks in America have their coasters fitted with water squirters in the stations, that squirt the wheels with cold water if it’s hot out. Maybe something similar might be a worthwhile investment for Alton Towers, for those hotter days?

They do have water squirters on the Smiler, just before the cars enter the station, I think it might be a problem if they have them on Nemesis or Galatica as they will wet the riders too

I believe the ride has had supports replaced before due to structural problems deep within the pit, so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Nemesis is experiencing greater structural issues as it ages.

I'm not aware of any actual track supports (stanchions) being replaced. The big problem on Nemesis has been the footer for C37-L1. This is at the bottom of the steps by the vertical loop in the queue (heading towards the station) and used to have a blood river running over it. A lot of work has been done on this footer over the years.

As to the rest of the ride, well you can see quite clearly where cross-ties on the track joints have been partially cut & welded. The helix has had partial rail replacement sections over the years too.

Just for the record, I'm not suggesting that anything is unsafe about Nemesis. That said, the ride is 27yrs old - age takes it's toll on anything, us included. It will need more TLC now than it did in it's earlier years.

It's clear that Nemesis is showing it's age, especially riding it the other day it's the roughest I've ever known it. But I can't get too excited, it is 27 years old, built quite unconventionally and has a very good track record for reliability. It must be costing a fair amount to maintain these days, but I'm confident it'll get what it needs

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I am largely confident Nemesis will get whatever work it needs to live on for a long time to come.

Lets take our Towers fanboy glasses off for a second; it is the one Towers ride that really is spoken about the world over (except maybe The Smiler, but that isn’t going to last).

Without Nemesis, Towers really is just an average park with fairly average coasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.