• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yep, a lot of the people from abroad who they rely on for cheap labour went home during Covid and the pay is c**p so other people are just starting to think it's not worth bothering. The service and hospitality business is struggling especially as you get treated like crap by the public and management and they usually only want to pay the minimum wage or only slightly above. A lot of people are just starting to realise that there's no point in working for slave wages when you can't afford to live on them in this country. Businesses who are capable of offering people more in terms of wages will have to do so eventually and those who can't afford to will end up having to cease trading. Supply and demand.

Out of interest does anyone know what the pay is for ride hosts at towers?

They don't list pay on the job advert
2021 Ride Host - (immediate start) | Merlin Careers
(Which I really think should be made mandatory for all jobs!)

Pretty sure basic hosts get pretty close to minimum wage though. Ride operators a little more.

With the fact it is fixed term not a permanent job and in a remote location though there are plenty of places that probably pay better for similar work though.

There are a lot of roles at ATR right now https://www.merlincareers.com/en/job-search-results?c=merlin&page=2,0,2,0&Brand=Alton+Towers+Resort but almost all of them don't list the pay details! How can anyone know if it is worth applying?

Night Porter does list pay at £9.51 an hour 2021 Hotel Night Porter | Merlin Careers which seems a bizarre mix of cleaner and receptionist! But McDonalds crew member pays £9 an hour for over 21s and I think they pay additional on top for night work. So AT are not offering a huge sum considering night receptionist could feel quite a demanding role.

Had an amazing day at the park today overall, waits weren't quite as bad as expecting and nemesis was running smooth as anything and did a good amount of rides too.

However I was in a terrible mood for the first 2 hours because my first ride of the day on wickerman there was a group of around 7 lads who kept purposely elbowing and nudging into us as hard as they could and wouldn't move back from standing right agaisnt us and wouldn't stop even though we kept saying for them to stop.

I really wanted to just kick off at them big time but I know I would lose it and probably get kicked out of the park but it was completely unacceptable covid or none covid

We had a similar experience at Wickerman, group of 4 probably GCSE aged girls practically breathing down our necks for 75 minutes, frustrating!

Day was great though! 20 points for the person who said do The Smiler, Thirteen and Rita first, got all 3 done by 11!

Galatica was running with 2 stations which sped it up immensely, queue time said 40 minutes but we were on in about 15/20!

Longest wait we did was 75 minutes for Wickerman but didn't queue longer than 45 minutes for anything else!

20 points for the person who said do The Smiler, Thirteen and Rita first, got all 3 done by 11!
You see told you it works. Also I knew judging on the queues that Galactica was on 3 trains, frustrating that I went a day when it was only on 2 and ended up waiting 90 mins for it when you only waited 15/20!

Reports are coming in that all seats are now being filled on The Smiler and other outdoor rides - common sense finally prevails !
As a result, nothing is above 60 minutes in the thrill section!

GG is on 90, but no thrill ride is above 60 minutes!

As a result, nothing is above 60 minutes in the thrill section!
Honestly it’s such a good move! I understand that peoples comfort levels will be different but public transport etc now allows for people to be sat together. So if it’s 2 minutes sat next to someone, for the sake of halving the time spent unmasked and crammed into a queue, it just makes sense .

Now somebody go ahead and get those dummies off Thirteen and we’ll be laughing !

Honestly it’s such a good move! I understand that peoples comfort levels will be different but public transport etc now allows for people to be sat together. So if it’s 2 minutes sat next to someone, for the sake of halving the time spent unmasked and crammed into a queue, it just makes sense .

Now somebody go ahead and get those dummies off Thirteen and we’ll be laughing !
If WM is loading all rows, then I’m assuming that the dummies have been removed from Thirteen!

Apparently not just yet - I imagine they’ll need Intamin to sign off on their removal (sitting at 80 minutes currently)
Ah right. But I assume that would only take a couple of days or so?

Am I also right in saying that all rows sans dummies are now being loaded, so that more than 6 people can ride per train?

Ah right. But I assume that would only take a couple of days or so?

Am I also right in saying that all rows sans dummies are now being loaded, so that more than 6 people can ride per train?
I’m not on park, but from reports on various FB groups yes they’re filling aside from the rows with dummies :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.