• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Yeah I see your point but I can see Towers being stuck in a difficult situation. Of course they can enforce any rules they like and you agree adhere to them simply by buying a ticket. But then you will get those people who will refuse to follow them because their argument would be "we don't need to distance anymore, it's not law" etc, etc. And if people kick off about it, how much will Towers enforce it? Currently, they have the law to back them up should it escalate but once that law is gone, how far are they prepared to go to enforce a rule that - according to the Government - isn't needed anymore?

I don't expect the law to change this soon due to the variants. Some things might relax further but I think the June date will change. I think 1m distancing will be around for a while, so strangers in same ride car with no perspex will be a no.

I don't expect the law to change this soon due to the variants. Some things might relax further but I think the June date will change. I think 1m distancing will be around for a while, so strangers in same ride car with no perspex will be a no.
Yeah there's concern around the Indian variant in the UK. SAGE are meeting today, and if they deem it a threat then the June 21st easing may be pushed back.

Honestly. The Gangsta Granny ride itself I am sure will be fine for what it is - a small support dark ride (even if it has to perform as a more major ride). But the area, honestly. Jesus Christ. Alton constantly repainting clapped out old buildings. it's embarrassing.

Nice to see the roofing tiles look sparkling like new (photo from TPWW on Facebook).

186504646_6281287971897112_6294404122275797481_n.jpg

I’ve got to say, I think it looks stunning from some of the photos I’ve seen, with a surprising amount of detail! I hope it’s successful for them, and I hope it’s expanded upon in the years to come!

@AstroDan Have they really replaced the roof tiles? They must have gone for a weathered effect or something, because they don’t look that new to me…

I’ve got to say, I think it looks stunning from some of the photos I’ve seen, with a surprising amount of detail! I hope it’s successful for them, and I hope it’s expanded upon in the years to come!

@AstroDan Have they really replaced the roof tiles? They must have gone for a weathered effect or something, because they don’t look that new to me…

"it looks stunning".

Are you joking?

My roof tile comment is tongue in cheek. There is clearly marks where moss and/or other crap has been and it hasn't been cleaned properly. Adds to the typical ATR embarrassment of area re-themes over the past decade or two.

Wow that looks rough. I'm not a fan of the block colours being used without any detailing to attempt to emulate the art style of the books, it just ends up looking like the playground of a primary school instead of the new area within a "world-class" theme park.

I still remain optimistic for the ride, but christ would it have killed Merlin to give them a bit of extra cash to get this looking better?

"it looks stunning".

Are you joking?

My roof tile comment is tongue in cheek. There is clearly marks where moss and/or other crap has been and it hasn't been cleaned properly. Adds to the typical ATR embarrassment of area re-themes over the past decade or two.
I’ve got to say I really like it; very vibrant, with some nice little Walliams-styled details! It certainly looks a drastic improvement on CCL in its dying years, anyway, which I’d personally class as a win for the park!

I guess we’ll have to wait till tomorrow to see how Gangsta Granny stacks up as a ride; I think it looked really fun from the publicity shots the park has posted, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see what the initial riders think! Is anyone from TS going to be there for the opening tomorrow?

Meh. Can’t say I’m bothered about this area, when I visit with my friends we’ll probably go on the twister - I assume when I visit with my family they’ll want to ride GG so I’ll probably ride it then.

I’ve got to say I really like it; very vibrant, with some nice little Walliams-styled details! It certainly looks a drastic improvement on CCL in its dying years, anyway, which I’d personally class as a win for the park!

It is an improvement on CCL at the end - but by how much? It's not got a proper catering outlet, has a theatre sat there unused, a large shop unused, a driving school that is not part of the area and principally, the area is just re-paints of clapped out buildings from the 1980s with a temporary funfair ride in the middle.

It is an improvement on CCL at the end - but by how much? It's not got a proper catering outlet, has a theatre sat there unused, a large shop unused, a driving school that is not part of the area and principally, the area is just re-paints of clapped out buildings from the 1980s.
I’d give it a little time; I’m sure the park has thought about this, and are going to gradually integrate these elements into the area over time.

I guess we shouldn’t really expect them to do it all in one year, as it would be a big job; to be honest, I’m thankful we got a full area out of it as opposed to just the ride itself being placed within CCL, which with the onus they’re placing solely on GG, they could quite easily have done!

One thing I do have my concerns about is that I feel some of the rides (I’m thinking Royal Carousel and Raj’s Bouncy Bottom Burp, as well as Driving School if that ever gets integrated) are a bit too “kiddie” for the area’s target market, but I’m probably just being very nit-picky there, and Gangsta Granny and Flavio’s Fabulous Fandango should alleviate this issue, to a degree. As well as any potential future additions, if they’re ever made.

I think the key thing with this area is time, personally. Within time, I’m sure it’ll blossom in exactly the same way as CBeebies Land did, and to be honest, I think what they have there now is perfectly nice for what it is, personally.

Matt, have you forgotten that it was supposed to open last season but covid delayed it? They've had over a year to sort it out. :tearsofjoy:
In fairness, I’d imagine the park lacked the funds to sort it out for a fair chunk of 2020, and by the time the park reopened in July, it was probably a bit too late to really set any major plans into motion.
This area has been in planning for four bloody years and built for 14 months!
Am I correct in saying that prior to the current iteration of the land, it was originally planned for 2019? Or did I imagine that completely?

Anyway, I personally think that Alton Towers have done a cracking job with it, on the whole, and I look forward to hearing the initial reviews tomorrow!

The best thing I've seen in these photos is the phone box claw machines.

It's a shame that the area never seems to get a proper retheme, just constant re-paints and half arsed efforts. As mentioned above, you'd have thought they'd have jet washed around the place at least.

That's if Merlin have budgeted for a jet wash....

I do think it's a little bit ridiculous its still a 10-4 on the day of the new area opening - because surely there's going to be slightly more traction today than a usual Monday?

I do think it's a little bit ridiculous its still a 10-4 on the day of the new area opening - because surely there's going to be slightly more traction today than a usual Monday?
It's also interesting that with an hour to go before the TWoDW rides open, none of them are marked on the app yet. :p:confused:

Last edited:

It's still a Monday during term time. I doubt it will be that much busier. There will be more people on the new ride (especially vloggers), but also Hex, Duel, Sharkbait Reef and other attractions will be open to spread crowds out. Also the weather is pretty awful this week, if people had booked weeks ago they are probably coming, but I don't expect there to be many bookings that have been made in the last week as the weather was known.

The week beginning 31 May when its half term break will be the first properly busy week.