• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The impression I get is that some of the old rides are good and even the odd new one. The issue they have is that there is literal advertisements everywhere meaning that there is no atmosphere. They also have dreadful operations and are even worse than Merlin at cost cutting. I haven't actually visited a Six Flags park but that's the impression I get from the US enthusiasts.
This varies massively dependent on which Six Flags parks you're visiting, and under which leadership. I haven't been to any in a while now, but always felt like their dreadful operations and customer care were grossly overstated. I would rather have the vast majority of Six Flags parks in the UK over Thorpe Park, for example. They have a clear vision as a company and know what they are and in which area they excel.
From my outside perspective, I actually think Six Flags would bring a fair amount to the table that people would like in Britain, despite their less than stellar reputation among Brits. For instance:
  • Many of the coasters that they've built as of late have been reviewed very favourably on even a worldwide scale; they could bring a lot to the UK's coaster scene, which many people feel is inferior to that of parks abroad.
  • Investment is regular; at least until before COVID, the company maintained a policy of bringing something new to every park every year, and that something was a new ride of some description in the vast majority of cases.
  • Building upon that, they could also remedy many people's issue of the UK parks lacking variation. They build tons of flat rides on a regular basis, as well as a fair few water rides, and the likes of the Justice League attractions prove that they're not against building dark rides either.
  • Six Flags also runs shows and entertainment within their parks too, which people feel the UK parks lack. Six Flags also do a fair few events; I know they do Fright Fest (Halloween) and Holiday in the Park (Christmas), as well as things like Mardi Gras as well.
So with that in mind, I actually think the Six Flags approach would bring a lot to Britain, and I'll admit I'm perplexed as to why it's become such a dirty word within the British theme park industry.
Weren't they removed before merlin took over or am I mistaken. Can't remember when merlin came in
I think they were, yes. Merlin were 2007, while Thunderlooper was removed in 1996 (Pearson Tussauds), Black Hole was removed in 2005 (DIC Tussauds), and Beast was 1998 (Pearson Tussauds). I think? (Correct me if I'm wrong there)

From my outside perspective, I actually think Six Flags would bring a fair amount to the table that people would like in Britain, despite their less than stellar reputation among Brits. For instance:
  • Many of the coasters that they've built as of late have been reviewed very favourably on even a worldwide scale; they could bring a lot to the UK's coaster scene, which many people feel is inferior to that of parks abroad.
  • Investment is regular; at least until before COVID, the company maintained a policy of bringing something new to every park every year, and that something was a new ride of some description in the vast majority of cases.
  • Building upon that, they could also remedy many people's issue of the UK parks lacking variation. They build tons of flat rides on a regular basis, as well as a fair few water rides, and the likes of the Justice League attractions prove that they're not against building dark rides either.
  • Six Flags also runs shows and entertainment within their parks too, which people feel the UK parks lack. Six Flags also do a fair few events; I know they do Fright Fest (Halloween) and Holiday in the Park (Christmas), as well as things like Mardi Gras as well.
So with that in mind, I actually think the Six Flags approach would bring a lot to Britain, and I'll admit I'm perplexed as to why it's become such a dirty word within the British theme park industry.

I think they were, yes. Merlin were 2007, while Thunderlooper was removed in 1996 (Pearson Tussauds), Black Hole was removed in 2005 (DIC Tussauds), and Beast was 1998 (Pearson Tussauds). I think? (Correct me if I'm wrong there)
Your post has made me wonder if Six Flag's business model would even work in the UK. They tend to build rides that are relatively cheap, quick to assemble and easy to move to another park as the business requires. Due to our complex planning rules and lack of open flat space the UK could be a nightmare for them.

No offence to you Matt, but the idea of a modern American Style Amusement Park in the UK just sounds terrible. They lack theming, way too fast paced, just ugly looking (except a few which are really great with their scenery, such as Dollywood)

Six flags just doesn't have a good time in Europe, just look at Walibi Holland, that used to be a Six Flags park, it was sold to Walibi because it was a huge failure in Europe.
The reason Thorpe Park is still around is because it may hold remnants of an American Amusement Park, but it doesn't try to be one. A UK Six Flags tried to be like all the other Six Flags parks.

And don't forget... Car Parking Lot Coasters...
Would send shivers down to a UK roller Coaster enthusiasts

No offence to you Matt, but the idea of a modern American Style Amusement Park in the UK just sounds terrible. They lack theming, way too fast paced, just ugly looking (except a few which are really great with their scenery, such as Dollywood)
Yeah Dollywood and Silver Dollar City are most definitely theme parks. :)

Six flags just doesn't have a good time in Europe, just look at Walibi Holland, that used to be a Six Flags park, it was sold to Walibi because it was a huge failure in Europe.
The reason Thorpe Park is still around is because it may hold remnants of an American Amusement Park, but it doesn't try to be one. A UK Six Flags tried to be like all the other Six Flags parks.

And don't forget... Car Parking Lot Coasters...
Would send shivers down to a UK roller Coaster enthusiasts
Fair enough!

However, I would take a look at some of Six Flags’ cancelled or upcoming parks in Asia if you want a taste of what they’d do with a new park. The upcoming one in Saudi Arabia looks really quite well themed!

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Six Flags mainly sell the European properties due to their bankruptcy (or at least, the financial problems leading up to it)? The Walibi parks don’t actually look too far removed from a Six Flags park, and they seem to do fine.

I’ll admit I think there would have to be some adjustment for the model to work in Britain (for the same reason why Disney’s international parks post-DLP often differ from the American ones), but I definitely think a Six Flags-style park in the UK could work and be a success.

Merlin executive: "Wht not we buy them for another 20 years and keep killing them, getting rid of beloved attractions, excluding their IPs and the Secret Weapons of course, and keep raising prices..."
This is the opposite of what this release is though lol - Merlin have sold the lease on the land to another company for another 20 years, not bought it lol

Good thoughts Matt, but I'm going to base my limited Six Flags experience (two parks) and use a more neutral stance on their developments to address some of the points in your post.

Six Flags aren't as restricted by the red tape and nimbyism as we are here in the UK. Building coasters is a lot easier in the States, and they also need to market them. The Swarm and Icon both show you can build a coaster in the UK, but that does not certainly guarantee success.

Investment is regular across the portfolio. If you were to take a look at each individual park, some skip having rides to have a water slide installed. The quality of investment needs to be better than quantity.

Once you've been to one Six Flags park, on essence you have been to them all. The flat rides are virtually the same. The dark rides are the same. The depressing atmosphere is the same. The only difference is the coasters which in the UK, there is a good degree of variation.

This point doesn't really stack up given the event calendars the larger UK parks have had over the past year.

I wouldn't say it's a dirty word, but the Six Flags park aren't overly pleasant. They make you appreciate how different and distinguished each of the Merlin parks identities are (even if Thorpe can't make up its mind every few years).

Don't be lulled into the annual video They release every summer breaking down all the investments they put in. If you were to make one for each park (bar MM and GA which are the true coaster parks of their respective side of the states), then the investment rota per park isn't overly impressive.

It would be much better for a company like Walibi to enter the UK after radically transforming their flogged Six Flags parks.

Last edited:
I've only been to two Six Flags parks and they couldn't have been more different. Discovery Kingdom was an absolute misery, with terrible operations and grumpy staff, which matched my expectation of a Six Flags park. I had to leave part way through the day having only been on a few rides as it just wasn't that fun.

On the flip side Magic Mountain couldn't have been more different, excellent customer service and fantastic operations (X2 aside), I had a brilliant day there and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, even with the lack of theming. Considering how big the park is I managed to get every major ride done, on a Saturday, without the use of queue-jump tickets. Even got a few re-rides in the evening. I guess they must have to put in more of an effort there due to it's location, being so close to Universal/Disney parks, so I expect the other parks to be more similar to Discovery Kingdom. If that's the case we do not want them spreading over here too, one park like Thorpe Park is enough for us in the UK :p

Non relevant topic, but British Theme Park Archive is about to release his first documentry, live at 7:30 on his youtube channel!!! It's about how Alton Towers was created in the 80s, with the Flume, around the world in 80 days, doom and sons, and much more!!!

Edit: My mistake, it was just a short video of archived footage

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year everybody! Think I can take credit for the first post in the 2022 discussion actually posted in 2022...

Was at the park for Lightopia yesterday and stopped for coffee at doughnuts at Nemices (we always have to stop there bcos my husband loves puns!). Anyway couldn't help noticing that Blade seems to have disappeared? Could have been removed for maintenance I guess, but I'm wondering if it might actually be gone for good...

Happy New Year everybody! Think I can take credit for the first post in the 2022 discussion actually posted in 2022...

Was at the park for Lightopia yesterday and stopped for coffee at doughnuts at Nemices (we always have to stop there bcos my husband loves puns!). Anyway couldn't help noticing that Blade seems to have disappeared? Could have been removed for maintenance I guess, but I'm wondering if it might actually be gone for good...
Oh the classic blade has gone post. Who knows? I predict it’s maintenance and it will be back. The thing seems immortal. oh and happy new year.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.