• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It’s great that some of the golf has been refurbished, but there’s also large sections which are awful, or have had bits taken off them as I guess they are broken. The ripsaw and driving school holes have parts of theming missing now, the Hex hole has one of the holes blocked up completely.
It was nice that he majority of the music was playing around the course, including old tea cup music I hadn’t heard before. But if anything the newly refurbished holes make the rest of the course look even worse.

It’s great that some of the golf has been refurbished, but there’s also large sections which are awful, or have had bits taken off them as I guess they are broken. The ripsaw and driving school holes have parts of theming missing now, the Hex hole has one of the holes blocked up completely.
It was nice that he majority of the music was playing around the course, including old tea cup music I hadn’t heard before. But if anything the newly refurbished holes make the rest of the course look even worse.

I think it was the western nine holes that were closed for refurbishment, hopefully they can now do the eastern nine that include Ripsaw, Hex and Driving School.

Over the past 6 months a fair amount of work has been complete on Extraordinary Golf, including:

Replacement of all wooden posts/stumps
Replacement hole signage and wooden frames
All audio repaired
New audio added
New interactive feature
Replaced bridges
Replaced/refurbished some greens
Refurbished windmill
Replaced a lot of fencing
Hut and fence Painting throughout
Theming repaired and repainted throughout
Additional themed and ambience lighting

I’m sure there’s more but that’s off the top of my head. It’s only the start :)

1ecd49556bf720137de5df0fb6663751.jpg

bc7a6fe53fab86c49ad193881f7c4060.jpg

ccc0cf7d01cfb32379eb0826590ee68b.jpg

a4ecd51596e279f92a1ed1995dab8b80.jpg

1fc929742adac35343bd018cd3f7fcd6.jpg

dcc04c847b85228a848d105b89afc8a6.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see the Golf getting some love; it looks brilliant, and it’s nice to see them still adding to it after 15 years!

I’ll admit, however, that I find it very interesting that they appear to have refurbished some of the more outdated holes instead of replacing them. I admittedly haven’t done it in years, so my memory of the holes isn’t brilliant, but I seem to remember quite a lot of the holes were based around attractions no longer in the park (for instance, I seem to remember Ug Land, Old McDonald’s Farmyard and The Flume all having holes), and seeing as Extraordinary Golf was always built as an advertisement for the theme park (or it at least seems that way), I find it surprising that they don’t want to update the holes to be more current. For instance, I’m surprised that they’ve never added holes for things like Smiler, Wicker Man and Thirteen, as well as CBeebies.

Maybe they’re going down the nostalgic route and theming it around historical Towers attractions in the long term?

Over the past 6 months a fair amount of work has been complete on Extraordinary Golf, including:

Replacement of all wooden posts/stumps
Replacement hole signage and wooden frames
All audio repaired
New audio added
New interactive feature
Replaced bridges
Replaced/refurbished some greens
Refurbished windmill
Replaced a lot of fencing
Hut and fence Painting throughout
Theming repaired and repainted throughout
Additional themed and ambience lighting

I’m sure there’s more but that’s off the top of my head. It’s only the start :)

1ecd49556bf720137de5df0fb6663751.jpg

bc7a6fe53fab86c49ad193881f7c4060.jpg

ccc0cf7d01cfb32379eb0826590ee68b.jpg

a4ecd51596e279f92a1ed1995dab8b80.jpg

1fc929742adac35343bd018cd3f7fcd6.jpg

dcc04c847b85228a848d105b89afc8a6.jpg
It’s looking really good and looks like what you’d expect at such a major U.K. attraction. Is the smoke effect new too? Let’s hope they complete the refurb by doing the other holes this closed season!

Golf looks in alot better shape but I don't see the appeal of such short hours. They think they are a leading UK theme park but in the middle of summer close at 4pm! Even school kids have longer days than the towers opening schedule!

With the increasing price that never reflected the reduced hours (let's hope they switch to a minimum of 5pm) I can honestly say for a tiny bit more and less effort from where I live in Sussex I can be in DLP in 3½ hours which includes (covid pending) fireworks open untill at least 8pm in April (that's the current average in Feb).

Id much prefer a few closed days and a minimum of 5pm closes

Golf looks in alot better shape but I don't see the appeal of such short hours. They think they are a leading UK theme park but in the middle of summer close at 4pm! Even school kids have longer days than the towers opening schedule!

Not sure where you're getting the 4pm closes in the middle of summer from, on the website it says 6pm close?

I wouldn't pay any attention to the closing times on the website anyway, they are only put on there as a placeholder for a minimum closing time. Last year was full of 4pm closes initially on the website but I think we only had about 10-15 days worth in the end, mostly in early May/November when it was quietest. And the park never closed earlier than 7pm on a weekend all season.

Not sure where you're getting the 4pm closes in the middle of summer from, on the website it says 6pm close?

I wouldn't pay any attention to the closing times on the website anyway, they are only put on there as a placeholder for a minimum closing time. Last year was full of 4pm closes initially on the website but I think we only had about 10-15 days worth in the end, mostly in early May/November when it was quietest. And the park never closed earlier than 7pm on a weekend all season.

June the 21st and the week around it has 5 and 4pm closures. Do you really believe Alton is of value and a great day out when it has such limited hours? Maybe you have not experienced parks other than m£rlin but even paultons park does not close earlier than 5pm!

A decision for me to visit a regional park like Alton is on the value and atmosphere of the park. If I feel like I will be rushed, processed and have little value then I would not attend! Just saying a minimum of 5pm would increase my likelihood of going on a quieter day and enjoy all the facilities.

June the 21st and the week around it has 5 and 4pm closures. Do you really believe Alton is of value and a great day out when it has such limited hours? Maybe you have not experienced parks other than m£rlin but even paultons park does not close earlier than 5pm!

A decision for me to visit a regional park like Alton is on the value and atmosphere of the park. If I feel like I will be rushed, processed and have little value then I would not attend! Just saying a minimum of 5pm would increase my likelihood of going on a quieter day and enjoy all the facilities.

That’s not school holiday season so it will have the placeholder times.

As Josh says they put 4pm on midweek until they have a better handle on expected guest numbers. I don’t think anyone is saying 4pm is a good closing time, Josh just pointed out that in practice last season very few days had 4pm closes even though when the calendar was released in the 2020/21 closed season whole swathes of the calendar was saying 4pm.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.