• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Most rides aren't listed on the entire resort map, it will be listed on the theme park map, around where the towers are as usual!
It’s not even illustrated on the map this year, there’s normally something. Even heave ho and Flávio’s flange are on.

I’m assuming it’s an oversight.

I too find it intriguing that they’ve kept that open now that social distancing isn’t a thing anymore.

It’s certainly convenient for trekking between Wicker Man and the Forbidden Valley coasters more quickly, so I’m certainly not complaining, but I am surprised at its longevity given that that path was originally intended as an access road, if I’m remembering rightly.

Come to think of it, however, I think Congo River Rapids’ RAP entrance is accessed from down that path (it’s just past Wicker Man’s lift hill, isn’t it?), so maybe they’ve kept it open to make it easier to reach that from Katanga Canyon?
Yeah I remembered about the Rapids RAP entrance being off that path. That'll be why it's open.

I wonder why Towers (and other Merlin theme parks) have inaccurate maps? If they are going to supply them, surely they should at least be accurate? Perhaps they just don't care.

They aren’t supposed to be ordinance survey maps, they are to give you a general idea of the lay of the land in terms of which general direction to head and which rides are in which area and you can then use any directional signs around the park to find your way.

If anyone wants step by step instruction of how to get somewhere they can use the app which provides more detailed directions.

I wonder why Towers (and other Merlin theme parks) have inaccurate maps? If they are going to supply them, surely they should at least be accurate? Perhaps they just don't care.
The map’s mainly a marketing tool before anything else. On the other hand, Thorpe’s map is literally a jazzed up Google Maps top-down view with no sense of scale of the rides as they’re all just flat lines and circles, very weird choice! Sure they’ll go back to actually showing the rides properly next year for Exodus.

I think Chessington’s is probably the best for accuracy while making the park look good for marketing.

Yes let's not forget that when you are on park the map on the app pinpoints your location exactly and tells you how far you are away from nearby rides in minutes and distance

They aren’t supposed to be ordinance survey maps, they are to give you a general idea of the lay of the land in terms of which general direction to head and which rides are in which area and you can then use any directional signs around the park to find your way.

If anyone wants step by step instruction of how to get somewhere they can use the app which provides more detailed directions.
FWIW I preferred the isometric style of the mid-00s, which was a nice compromise between 'useful map' and 'purely a marketing device'.

It’s kind of like why the tube map is laid out the way it is rather than being graphically accurate. It’s all about easily conveying information visually in a simplified way that people can easily follow or see what they are looking for at a glance.

But given that though I do think it would be interesting though if parks sold nice large maps that could be framed and displayed.

It’s kind of like why the tube map is laid out the way it is rather than being graphically accurate. It’s all about easily conveying information visually in a simplified way that people can easily follow or see what they are looking for at a glance.

But given that though I do think it would be interesting though if parks sold nice large maps that could be framed and displayed.
Surprised nobody has attempted to draw a Towers map in the style of a tube map. Plenty of paths to do it with!

In fact Thorpe missed a trick in not doing that when Derren Brown's Ghost Train originally opened!

The next station is Skyride (Towers Street) Change here for Mutiny Bay and Towers Street line services, local bus services and national and international rail services. This station has step free access.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.