• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
That's a shame, there was a smaller tree next to it that I think went around 2016 ish. You can see it on the right on Google Streetview from 2009, with the one which was struck last night on the left:
Screenshot at Jun 12 14-47-16.png

Managed to find a photo that we posted on TowersStreet a couple of weeks back that shows the tree in the background in the centre of the pic:

349176324_209050078619880_5361564019141741909_n.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair the site does tend to get particularly badly effected by storms. Just off the top of my head, the old caravan park got completely destroyed by it (site of the hotels etc now), a tree and part of the wall around the entrance to the gardens opposite the Choragic Monument (He Made The Desert Smile) went down several years ago, a tree fell on the orangery causing serious damage in around the 90s and now a tree looks like it has pretty much exploded. You can't legislate for mother nature in this case.

It is a real shame that the tree has gone in such a way, and one of those Cedars (possibly this one) was apparently planted by one of our kings in the first half of the 1900s (King Edward I think).

To be fair the site does tend to get particularly badly effected by storms. Just off the top of my head, the old caravan park got completely destroyed by it (site of the hotels etc now), a tree and part of the wall around the entrance to the gardens opposite the Choragic Monument (He Made The Desert Smile) went down several years ago, a tree fell on the orangery causing serious damage in around the 90s and now a tree looks like it has pretty much exploded. You can't legislate for mother nature in this case.

It is a real shame that the tree has gone in such a way, and one of those Cedars (possibly this one) was apparently planted by one of our kings in the first half of the 1900s (King Edward I think).
Even you take away thr fictional stories of aliens under the ground, the whole grounds are cursed and this being the latest thing to happen.

The storm hit about 8pm last night I think as I was near Uttoxeter. Unless they had more over night.

They are lucky the tree didn’t crush half the food vans on the street, or the Mardi Gras stage.
Could be another storm tonight looking at the weather maps. There's an amber warning in place for the area as well.

Screenshot_20230612-181413-677.png

www.lightningmaps.org is the one you want, shows lightning strikes in real time. Derby and Nottingham have already taken a battering this afternoon, we were supposed to get it here in Yorkshire but looks like Manchester has stolen it all instead
its been very bad here in north west Leicestershire. We pretty much border derby, and it’s been thundering overhead now for over an hour. Luckily no power issues but I’d imagine even more rural areas like Alton would really struggle with storms like this.

I'd rather rain...up hear it has been blazing hot summer sun that has not seen any rain for a whole week.

Before this turns into a UK wide weather report topic, just a reminder this is for Alton Towers discussion. Let's keep it to what's affected the resort today and then wait and see if there's any further issues tomorrow (hopefully not!).

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.