• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Why are all the events at Towers executed so cheap and tacky? They have literally stuck stickers on stuff all over the park and some banners attached to some cheap stands. The stages again look tacky and they are branding this as a big event lol.

Why are UK Theme parks (Merlin) so lazy when it comes to events compared to other countries
Because they have the monopoly on "theme" parks in the UK and can get away with it. I use the word "theme" in quotes as some of their theming may look good in a rides first year, but is just then left to rot.

Why are all the events at Towers executed so cheap and tacky? They have literally stuck stickers on stuff all over the park and some banners attached to some cheap stands. The stages again look tacky and they are branding this as a big event lol.

Why are UK Theme parks (Merlin) so lazy when it comes to events compared to other countries

Spot on!

Budgets clearly aren't very extensive which beggars the question why even bother?

Whack some interactive stalls near the Smiler Entrance and maybe a couple of roaming actors and that would be much better than this rubbish.

I'm going to call it now, Galactica Shop will reopen for this year or next.
Wait, it was closed? I've forgotten which shops/stalls have been closed after all these years which tells you how much I've lost count with what's closed or not.

A bit more money spent and it could be a good takeover, but that would involve more money and less profit.

Have all of the staff on every ride and shop in smiler uniforms, yellow and black banners hanging from all the lamp posts etc. Sell a yellow/black ice cream. Really it’s two simple colours, the list is endless what they could have done/could do.

Was in the park today. The smiler takeover was very odd. You can tell they decided at some point to budget-cut the original event. Probably had smiler props laying around the back.

There was YMCA on the bigger stage in X Sector and some Marmalising scripted show on the smaller one.

The audio was strange around the park. Thirteen music near the front of the park, Oblivion soundtrack playing at the driving school. Galactica didn't have anything playing.

Thirteen has gained a 'T' roller banner for some reason at the entrance.

And the Smiler props near wicker man were interesting, to say the least.

Alton Towers needs to work on some of its immersive experiences. Fairground rides near permanent rollercoasters with themed music, random entertainment and props.

All feels disjointed and odd.

A bit more money spent and it could be a good takeover, but that would involve more money and less profit.

Have all of the staff on every ride and shop in smiler uniforms, yellow and black banners hanging from all the lamp posts etc. Sell a yellow/black ice cream. Really it’s two simple colours, the list is endless what they could have done/could do.
Yeah these were the kind of things I had in mind. Really basic stuff that would have gone a long way. The food is a no brainer, so many possibilities.

The stickers look beyond tacky. There are better more creative ways to do the hidden smiler logo thing if they would be willing to spend a bit more on it. So far it looks like they may as well have not bothered.

The problem I find with Festival of Thrills is that it's a relatively small event, but how it's advertised makes it feel like it should be a big event similar to Mardi Gras/Oktoberfest.

I'm not a fan of The Smiler theming in front of Wicker Man. I think there are better and more subtle ways in which they could have implemented the 'takeover' without shoving cheap and tacky theming and loud audio in front of the existing rides.

@davestones ideas are more what I would think would be suitable. Have Smiler banners around the park*, heavily theme/dress up Towers Street, make use of the stage on the lawns, themed food available in different outlets, street entertainers around Towers Street in The Smiler attire*, some form of outdoor entertainment in Fountain Square, and obviously have X Sector as a big focus. In terms of the 'takeover' of individual rides, I would have The Smiler logo or little bits of Smiler theming hidden around the other coasters, make a treasure hunt-style task where guests have to find these bits of theming to win a prize, it could be as simple as winning a pin badge, or a free return ticket for an off-peak day in September (a la Big Six Challenge event).

At present, the event feels so cheap to the point there's literally no point in running it. I feel the cheap and tacky way they've had to implement this event, does more brand damage than having no event at all.

Either invest more to make Festival of Thrills a great event, or keep the pennies used at present for other events in the year.

*Edit: I understand that this event does have some banners on TowersStreet and some roaming entertainers, however, it is still a very sparse event.

Last edited:
I just don't get why all of the festival of thrills budget (and then some more) doesn't go to actually trying to make scarefest an amazing event like it used to be.

Nobody actually cares about this event really, Oktoberfest and Mardi gras have been quite nice tho.

I just don't get why all of the festival of thrills budget (and then some more) doesn't go to actually trying to make scarefest an amazing event like it used to be.

Nobody actually cares about this event really, Oktoberfest and Mardi gras have been quite nice tho.
Absolutely, I would happily see all other events scrapped if Scarefest could get to the level it was in 2010.

People will come to Scarefest anyway. Adding an extra event now is to try and make the park busier in what is normally a quiet period between Easter and the May half term.

May be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t mind the look of this event from what I’ve seen online. It’s a bit of fun for a small, 3-week event celebrating the anniversary of The Smiler, if it was this level of quality at Oktoberfest or Mardi Gras then maybe I’d be more concerned. As others have mentioned, I don’t get why people are so horrified that The Smiler & MoJ have taken over rides when the event is literally called “The Smiler Takeover”… I don’t really understand what people were expecting but this is exactly what I thought it was going to be.

Will try and get to this event as I didn’t manage to visit during Festival of Thrills last year, looking forward to seeing what it’s like in person.

Thirteen has gained a 'T' roller banner for some reason at the entrance.
There are others dotted around the park, they spell out the word "THRILLS" as in Festival of Thrills, like in the logo
festival-of-thrills-the-smiler-takeover-logo.png

There are others dotted around the park, they spell out the word "THRILLS" as in Festival of Thrills, like in the logo
festival-of-thrills-the-smiler-takeover-logo.png
Pretty sure the "S" relates to a certain coaster that is currently under the strict control of a different organisation...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.