• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If I may add my own reaction XD
296710440a7a28afcbf09ed1de2ab20e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

A bit of serious speculation from me today, but since the park are teasing new mirror effects and subsequently effects not seen in the UK, what if we're getting something similar to the Jack Sparrow animatronic from Shanghai's Pirates of the Carribbean?

(Skip to 13:53)

What if we see a similar effect with potentially a doll transforming into Emily Alton at some point in the ride?

On another note, I'd really like them to bring back the Giant sequence from the original Haunted House, but instead of it being the same giant, it's Emily Alton looking at you within the dollhouse, those effects would really give the impression that she's following you throughout the ride...

With the teasers of dolls, a doll scene is a must surely? I could see it working well replacing the screaming heads scene.

I’m remaining cautiously optimistic, however I think this will be done very well by Towers/Merlin. Can’t wait to see what they’ve been up to.

It’s amazing we don’t know more given the amount of drones flying above the park this closed season!

A bit of serious speculation from me today, but since the park are teasing new mirror effects and subsequently effects not seen in the UK, what if we're getting something similar to the Jack Sparrow animatronic from Shanghai's Pirates of the Carribbean?

(Skip to 13:53)

What if we see a similar effect with potentially a doll transforming into Emily Alton at some point in the ride?

On another note, I'd really like them to bring back the Giant sequence from the original Haunted House, but instead of it being the same giant, it's Emily Alton looking at you within the dollhouse, those effects would really give the impression that she's following you throughout the ride...

I'm going to guess the budget for that one scene with the skelleton effect and anamatronic was greater than the entire theming budget for TCAAM. So no.

I'm going to guess the budget for that one scene with the skeleton effect and anamatronic was greater than the entire theming budget for TCAAM. So no.
Would the actual skeleton effect be expensive though? I would have thought that it would just be the animatronic that would be expensive.

I'm going to guess the budget for that one scene with the skelleton effect and anamatronic was greater than the entire theming budget for TCAAM. So no.
Not necessarily, whilst Disney would have paid the R&D costs to develop the effect, I'm sure it can be replicated on a smaller budget and the animatronic wouldn't have to be as advanced as the Jack Sparrow one to work. John Wardley got the job with Tussuads because he was able to recreate a Disney-style animatronic for a fraction of the budget.

Much like when car manufacturers who build F1 cars later use components developed for F1 within their regular cars 5-10 years down the line.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, whilst Disney would have paid the R&D costs to develop the effect, I'm sure it can be replicated on a smaller budget and the animatronic wouldn't have to be as advanced as the Jack Sparrow one to work. John Wardley got the job with Tussuads because he was able to recreate a Disney-style animatronic for a fraction of the budget.

Much like when car manufacturers who build F1 cars later use components developed for F1 within their regular cars 5-10 years down the line.

Wardley developed a way to have ramped movement with pneumatic actuators, it was good but it comes nowhere close to Disney and I believe Disney still hold a lot of the patents for animatronics using hydraulic actuators.

I would hope that the screaming heads would be too iconic to remove, but they wouldn't fit well in a doll's house, so I'm not sure how they would fit. Perhaps it would be a good replacement.
We don't know if the entire ride will be themed to a Dolls house yet, so they might still stay, and they had that 2018 refurb a few years back, so they're still in pretty decent condition, if only the LED UV strobes were any good.

There's doing something, then there's doing something properly. A greatly lesser variation may well be possible, but to get something close to as spectacular as that feels a long way off. And that's before we consider then doing that thing reliably thousands of times a day, from a studio which couldn't reliably move two lights on a stick relatively infrequently.

Bert2theSpark's suggestion is not too far fetched.
In principle the effect is a combination of Pepers Ghost and an animatronic. The Pepers Ghost part is easy to do, and Melin has done them many times before. The animatronic depends entirely on how good the animatronic needs to be. A creepy doll is a very simple animatronic, but does the effect still work without those lifelike movements? Probably can do.

You'd be hard pressed to find anything in this attraction, park or any other park that is too iconic to be removed. Change is the name of the game, it drives attendance far more than nostalgia, even disneys Nostalgic Kingdom isn't afraid to rip out a classic. This becomes a much more enjoyable hobby when you learn to let go of the old, say thanks for the memories and welcome the new.

So on that note, I sincerely hope the entire ride is unrecognisable when it reopens. Everyone enjoys a clever Easter egg, but what I really want is a good solid, modern, well thought out dark ride, not one long tribute to the past. I can enjoy my memories when I get home, when I'm on park I want to make new ones.

Realistically though I think a lot of the props and effects will remain but reskinned, with scenes altered to fit the new back story.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.