• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
With regard to John Wardley's involvement; from what John himself has said, I ascertain that he isn't really an active mastermind behind the project, but instead an experienced voice from the sidelines who John Burton and the other MMM creatives bounce ideas off of.

John himself has seemed very keen to stress that he is not an active designer as such, but instead someone who offers wise advice from the sidelines every now and then. With that in mind, I do think that John's degree of involvement could perhaps be overstated by some.

This ride will very much be John Burton's baby. He is the head creative, and he's the main man with the ideas behind this project.

After playing around with levels in Photoshop, this is what appears in the bottom right corner of the image.

crtvgbhy.jpg

Don't think it's anything to get excited about!
Still odd why they'd even add that there if there's no point of such a small detail that means nothing.

I think its probably just something from one of the stock images the graphic designer used to be honest.
It definitely seems to be part of the (for want of a better phrase) grunge layer that has been added to age/scratch the image. When the bottom of the image was extended to include the arms that the hands in the foreground belong to, you can see where the designer has simply reflected that layer to fill the space.

Has there ever been a ride that then has been made into a TV series or film …. Not the other way around….

The name leads itself to a film or show…. Maybe there could be a future horror film based around the new back story. ??

What would the reaction be if they used the drawing room as a pre show room, with a ride op on the main front doors allowing people in? Similar to Wickerman without the baggage hold...

What would the reaction be if they used the drawing room as a pre show room, with a ride op on the main front doors allowing people in? Similar to Wickerman without the baggage hold...
I think a proper preshow wouldn't work because of how quick the queue moves thanks to the ride system. If we were to stay in one room and listen to some exposition for a good couple minutes, I think it could really reduce the rides capacity.

That would be cool from an immersion standpoint, but my one concern with that would be that it would probably be a massive bottleneck throughput-wise.

Unlike Wicker Man, Duel was not designed to have a pre-show, and that ride system has a ludicrously high throughput. It'll become particularly ludicrous if 6-rider vehicles return as the concept art suggests; by my reckoning, a car passes a given point roughly every 10 seconds on Duel, which would equate to a throughput of 2,160pph with 6-rider cars!

By comparison, Duel's 5-rider vehicles made it get about 1,800pph at full capacity, so The Curse of Alton Manor should have a throughput around 360pph higher than Duel, in theory.

Back to the original point, though; the only way I could see a pre-show working is if it had an absolutely obscene capacity (I'm talking 100+ people, so a considerably larger room than Wicker Man's pre-show room, which accommodates 48, would be required) and a more streamlined batching process than Wicker Man's, as well as more space after the pre-show for the larger amount of people to wait in. The current indoor queue setup of Duel would not allow for this, so I don't think it would work unless they made drastic changes to the building interior.

Quick mention on the recent Drone footage we've received, I'm incredibly surprised they're still ripping stuff out by the looks of it this late into the rides redevelopment especially when the skip has now been taken off-site. Though by all means it could just simply be measuring equipment they're taking out for all I know.

Last edited:
With regard to John Wardley's involvement; from what John himself has said, I ascertain that he isn't really an active mastermind behind the project, but instead an experienced voice from the sidelines who John Burton and the other MMM creatives bounce ideas off of.

John himself has seemed very keen to stress that he is not an active designer as such, but instead someone who offers wise advice from the sidelines every now and then. With that in mind, I do think that John's degree of involvement could perhaps be overstated by some.

This ride will very much be John Burton's baby. He is the head creative, and he's the main man with the ideas behind this project.
He couldn't resist getting involved after this ride he had on it.. the disgust 😂

Unless they've changed the ride system it'd be pretty pointless as they'd be sending a bunch of empty trains around whilst the next group entered and watched the pre-show.
Disney Haunted Mansion solves this by having two stretching rooms. But at Disneyland they are actual elevators so serve a purpose rather than just being pre-show.

Disney Haunted Mansion solves this by having two stretching rooms. But at Disneyland they are actual elevators so serve a purpose rather than just being pre-show.
The other key difference is that the Haunted Mansion was designed to have a pre-show, whereas The Haunted House wasn't. Therefore, if The Curse at Alton Manor was to use a pre-show, it would have to be shoehorned into a building not designed for one.

The other key difference is that the Haunted Mansion was designed to have a pre-show, whereas The Haunted House wasn't. Therefore, if The Curse at Alton Manor was to use a pre-show, it would have to be shoehorned into a building not designed for one.
After all, the Haunted Mansion was originally designed to be a walkthrough attraction with the Stretching Room as part of that, which meant that the Stretching Room would have been something Imagineers would have had a clear idea on how to perfect. The building for TCaAM was not designed for a pre-show, so if one debuted, it may not be satisfactory.

Last edited:
OK so took a while to catch up, only clocked at half past seven this evening that there had been some sort of announcement!

Really excited about the new name and theme - I always approve when AT choose to weave the Towers into ride lore, no matter how loosely - much like Hex it gives them something totally unique that could only succeed there and nowhere else. Love the artwork, it does look like something that could be really original and imaginative. I didn't have particularly high expectations for the Duel refurb - I figured they'd be ripping out the shooting game and lasers, fixing the broken effects and re-theming to a standard ghost train but possibly not a lot more; however this seems to be a completely new concept with hopefully a lot of exciting new effects.

I don't have a problem with the Curse AT rather than OF - they are not quite synonyms and it actually sounds a bit more original and intriguing to have 'at' in my opinion - otherwise it's just another haunted mansion blah blah blah.

I guess my only concern is that the marketing team might have succeeded where the ride developers have failed and the ride won't live up to the hype; I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether or not that's the case.
Alty Mans xx
Oh and no, @Danny. Absolutely not.
Go Away GIF

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.