• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Just done Alton manor again and apart from the couple dark bits it's a decent ride. Very dark theme compared to Duel. Scared me a few times let alone younger people. Is it family friendly no I don't think so the theme is quite twisted when you think about it.
I wouldn't say that does not mean it is not family friendly. Look at Snow White, both the animated classic and the Disney rides; they are mildly terrifying in places!

It is definitely much darker than Duel though, you are right.

A fellow dyspraxic, how lovely. It's a struggle I can relate to whenever I do bother to use blasters on a dark ride, which isn't often really.

If anything blaster dark rides are simply games and are the antithesis of what a theme park is all about, and that's storytelling. It's not easy to create a gamified dark ride experience without it falling into a trap of detracting from the immersion, as guests are simply too focused on beating each other's scores rather than feeling immersed in a storytelling environment. There are probably exceptions like Men In Black at IOA of course..

I barely even used the blasters while Alty Mans was Duel, just sat there and enjoyed the show so to speak.. hugely distracting with the illuminated targets and competitive people sharing our ride vehicle.

Here's hoping that Alty Mans is a sign of more theatrical dark ride experiences to come to the Resort, rather than cheap and ill thought out gamified attractions.
I'm also dyspraxic and still quite struggle with motor coordination I can see what you're talking about but I do think a bit of competitiveness can bring people together hence why going bowling with friends can be a lot of fun, even though I suck it's still fun to still try and even more fun on the odd occasion that I win.

However there's a time and a place for blasters on a ride, I certainly think Duel isn't the worst example but far from being the best use, I'm glad we had the Duel era I did have some fun with the blasters at times but I'm certainly hoping that Alton manor will be a much better use of the attraction and I'll find out on Sunday.

I wouldn't say that does not mean it is not family friendly. Look at Snow White, both the animated classic and the Disney rides; they are mildly terrifying in places!

It is definitely much darker than Duel though, you are right.
I think the reason to why snow white works with its dark story is because the characters are very whimsical at times and there's a few funny moments on it, like Snow white and the dwarfs dancing. I also think it doesn't help that the characters are very cartoonie, and it'd be hard to take them seriously.

Just done Alton manor again and apart from the couple dark bits it's a decent ride. Very dark theme compared to Duel. Scared me a few times let alone younger people. Is it family friendly no I don't think so the theme is quite twisted when you think about it.

I have done it today myself. Had 4 goes on it just to try and find all the Easter eggs and probably still missed some.

I agree a much improved ride over what Duel became. I would also like them to overhaul the empty spots in the ride though as they just don't work for me.

Overall though a solid 8 out of 10. In the relatively short amount of time they have had it's good what they have come up with.

I have done it today myself. Had 4 goes on it just to try and find all the Easter eggs and probably still missed some.

I agree a much improved ride over what Duel became. I would also like them to overhaul the empty spots in the ride though as they just don't work for me.

Overall though a solid 8 out of 10. In the relatively short amount of time they have had it's good what they have come up with.

My thoughts entirely.

For the small number that feel it 'doesn't live up to the hype' and the small number on ATR socials saying it was 'rubbish' etc. - i would say you created your own hype or had misinterpreted this as a hardcore thrill attraction... it's family/thrill and hits this perfectly. With Merlin's track record, I was expecting something middle of the road and very unfinished. Whilst it is slightly unfinished, it wasn't a glaring issue and I was quite honestly blown away with the amount of work they have done in six months.

My thoughts entirely.

For the small number that feel it 'doesn't live up to the hype' and the small number on ATR socials saying it was 'rubbish' etc. - i would say you created your own hype or had misinterpreted this as a hardcore thrill attraction... it's family/thrill and hits this perfectly.
This. It isn't meant to be a thrill ride, and people should manage their expectations accordingly. However, of course, there are other people who have very legitimate arguments that this ride is a little disappointing. Personally, I am trying to distance myself from the hype before I ride it, although I am finding it difficult not to be extremely excited about it!

On a side note I am actually happily surprised the reaction from the online fanbase has been mostly pleasant and not particularly hyperbolic

There hasn't been the usual stage of way too high overhype, followed by a deliberate counter reaction, followed by a bitter counter reaction to that. People just seem to mainly enjoy the ride for the ride.

Surprisingly the least divisive ride reaction Ive ever known for Merlin?

On a side note I am actually happily surprised the reaction from the online fanbase has been mostly pleasant and not particularly hyperbolic

There hasn't been the usual stage of way too high overhype, followed by a deliberate counter reaction, followed by a bitter counter reaction to that. People just seem to mainly enjoy the ride for the ride.

Surprisingly the least divisive ride reaction Ive ever known for Merlin?
It's been great to see a quite wide good reaction to the ride, I was looking at people's wickerman reactions and videos and comments from 2018 and even then I'm surprised how much negativity there was when it first opened I would have not thought it was true seeing how much praise it gets today.

Expectations were generally low due to previous Merlin dark rides being disappointing. It's not something they've ever excelled at.

Alty Mans is a pleasant surprise and shows Merlin can pull off a well-rounded dark ride. It's not perfect, but given limited budgets it's amazing what they've pulled off, the creative team should be very proud.

I just hope they do tweak things/make changes/add or remove stuff over the next few months in response to feedback.

My thoughts entirely.

For the small number that feel it 'doesn't live up to the hype' and the small number on ATR socials saying it was 'rubbish' etc. - i would say you created your own hype or had misinterpreted this as a hardcore thrill attraction... it's family/thrill and hits this perfectly. With Merlin's track record, I was expecting something middle of the road and very unfinished. Whilst it is slightly unfinished, it wasn't a glaring issue and I was quite honestly blown away with the amount of work they have done in six months.

I get the impression that a big part of the reason as to why it didn’t go the way of previous Merlin dark ride attempts is John Burton.

To be fair to Merlin the will has clearly been there in the past, just not the execution. It would appear that they now have someone involved who can deliver that for them.

I've read a couple of reviews from people on SM, and there's been a couple of reports of families complaining about the ride being too scary for their kids, that and some accounts of younger kids coming off crying :/

To be Frank, I'm not surprised. The rides audience for now seems to mostly be enthusiasts and older kids and teens. I've personally not seen many families with young kids go in yet.

The ride is a good quality attraction for what it does, that's a fact, but personally the target audience seems to have slight different opinions than us thoosies and older kids. That's all I'm gonna say until summer comes as I think that's when all the families will start visiting first time this year with their kids.

It's psychologically scarier than Thirteen which pleasantly surprised me a little, but that means the 0.9 metre thing is probably a mistake. There's some very deep, sudden, quite twisted sound effects and screaming DIEEEE! like a demon is hardly family market stuff. Will be interesting to see how the season plays out.

There will ALWAYS be some kids who cry and some parents who complain. The same happened with the extremely not-scary Haunted House Monster Party at Legoland.

On the whole the tone of the ride is great for a broad family appeal. If Im right it's recommended around kids aged 10. When I was 10 I would have absolutely LOVED this ride. Kids like to be scared in the way this attraction delivers.

found probably the first clear POV of the ride, it seems like a lot of scenes are overly lit and some effects aren't working.

BUT it seems that the screaming heads are all working now, still no NNNYYYYEEEAAAAHHH though sadly, that and the hearses wheel is back moving, now just get those ghouls flying in there again! Here's a clear screenshot of the rethemed Creature which used to be the final Creature in the scene. It looks like one of the original screaming heads in the concept art for the ride. Surely I can't be the only one who sees the similarities?
Screenshot_20230322-210818_YouTube.jpg

20230318_181328.jpg

Last edited:
found probably the first clear POV of the ride, it seems like a lot of scenes are overly lit and some effects aren't working.

BUT it seems that the screaming heads are all working now, still no NNNYYYYEEEAAAAHHH though sadly, that and the gearses wheel is back moving, now just get those ghouls flying in there again! Here's a clear screenshot of the rethemed Creature which used to be the final Creature in the scene. It looks like one of the original screaming heads in the concept art for the ride. Surely I can't be the only one who sees the similarities?

20230318_181328.jpg

I’m a 31 year old man and that looks pretty scary in places! I can’t wait to ride it in June. Hopefully they’ll have sorted out the two dead zones by then.

I was one who never intended to avoid spoilers. Based on what I’ve seen online at least, this ride is a true theatrical masterpiece and is everything I ever wanted this refurb to be.

I've read a couple of reviews from people on SM, and there's been a couple of reports of families complaining about the ride being too scary for their kids, that and some accounts of younger kids coming off crying :/

To be Frank, I'm not surprised. The rides audience for now seems to mostly be enthusiasts and older kids and teens. I've personally not seen many families with young kids go in yet.

The ride is a good quality attraction for what it does, that's a fact, but personally the target audience seems to have slight different opinions than us thoosies and older kids. That's all I'm gonna say until summer comes as I think that's when all the families will start visiting first time this year with their kids.

When has the ride been targeted at children? It’s a haunted house.

It’s basically an old school PG or 12A ride, some children will cry, other won’t care.

BUT it seems that the screaming heads are all working now, still no NNNYYYYEEEAAAAHHH though sadly, that and the gearses wheel is back moving, now just get those ghouls flying in there again! Here's a clear screenshot of the rethemed Creature which used to be the final Creature in the scene. It looks like one of the original screaming heads in the concept art for the ride. Surely I can't be the only one who sees the similarities?

20230318_181328.jpg

Don’t judge lighting on a video, cameras cannot recreate low light experiences when compared to the human eye. In fact based on my own rides that video has massively increased the gain in post processing.

I won't get the chance to ride The Curse of Alton Manor till late season and I haven't and won't watch the POV, but I have read lots of reviews and spoilers.

This was never going to have the budget of rise of the resistance, etc and I knew that, but throwing a ton of money at an attraction to secure the latest technology doesn't do it for me. The most amazing graphics on the latest games consoles, look fantastic at first, but become the norm very quickly (yet I'm still playing Williams Defender (the best video game of all time), 40 years later, due to the unsurpassed cycle of revenge, the unmatched twitch gameplay, the feeling of accomplishment after a good session, the utter genius of the legendary Eugene Jarvis, etc It's benefits are fundamental and the 8 bit graphics cause no problem at all. I will still be playing it when GTA 5 is long forgotten.

Perfect example of phenomenal gameplay over bells and whistles.

What I expected from The Curse of Alton Manor, is a sense of immersion, a strong narrative, oodles of atmosphere tons of imagination , a spattering of emotion and to feel like a kid again.

If it achieves those things, and a I think it will, then I will thoroughly enjoy it. As soon as I beat my complications of Type 2 diabetes problems, I will be there.

Really looking forward to it.

By the way, try Eugene Jarvis's Williams, Defender. You will die... Very quickly... LOTS... but stick with it... INCREDIBLE, even after 40 years... Having to do with mame... NOW if I could just source that original arcade cabinet ..

Last edited: