• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

I'll be honest i thought that it was a bit meh

I think the advertising campaign highered my expectations tbh

I actually enjoyed the pre show more than the ride itself...but on the subject of that i think they should drop the staff member on the door letting you in slowly...as first time we went on we completely missed it

Second time i decided to stop and watch it all....causing a huge tailback but with nobody in front of us so the ride op came out and told us to hurry...and the pre show hadn't ended

So if they just let guests in as with duel the queue would slow giving time to watch it

edit....

I've just read that it sometimes has technical issues causing black spaces....this happened on our 2 runs yesterday...2 huge areas just pitch black

Let’s be honest, they were never going to be able to create an attraction that everybody loved. I personally feel like this is a much needed refresh of Duel, and I can’t wait to ride again on Tuesday. I do think there are some areas that need some work, but this is something that could easily be rectified.

Many of us have pointed out the scene that’s in complete darkness after the scene with the demon silhouette appearing behind the Emily doll and how this must be a scene that is still being worked on, however, after watching a few reviews, could this be the final scene? As after the demon silhouette scene, Emily says something along the lines of “let’s play hide and seek” then the audio follows us around the pitch black scene, as if we are trying to find her. I think the audio needs improving in this area with some speakers at different heights or angles to make it seem like Emily is popping up around the ride vehicle, and maybe some Emily dolls that quickly light up/flash to show her moving quickly?

Are there any physical sensory effects such as air blasts or wind? they are cliche, but effective. One effect I'm surprised they HAVEN'T used is a fog screen projection! I know Merlin don't seem to maintain such effects (Gruffelo) but there's no reason they could't i.e. the effect @ Grona Lund in Bla Taget has run for a decade or more.

I went on this 3 times today and there were definitely some technical hitches. Shadow demon behind Emily wasn’t there, Emily jump scare at the mirrors weren’t there and the ride seemed out of sync with the music which was a shame as it looked so much better on Sunday. Hopefully just teething issues

Are there any physical sensory effects such as air blasts or wind? they are cliche, but effective. One effect I'm surprised they HAVEN'T used is a fog screen projection! I know Merlin don't seem to maintain such effects (Gruffelo) but there's no reason they could't i.e. the effect @ Grona Lund in Bla Taget has run for a decade or more.
No blasts or wind that I noticed. Not sure what the definition of a fog screen projection is but the 'hand' in the dolls house could maybe fit that description. I do think vapour/fog in front of screens does make them shedloads better though.

Apparently there’s supposed to be a mist effect as you enter the Trommel tunnel but due to the speed of the cars travelling through, the mist doesn’t have time to build up again in between cars passing by

People other than kids actually used the blasters?

I dont think I had bothered since about 2007.

Sent from my Doro Phone using Tapatalk
I often did, the only alternative was to look at that shed full of junk, ewww

Rode it twice today, and initial thoughts were very positive. I loved certain aspects of it. Particularly the mirror corridor, the new spider scene, and the finale.

But I do feel as though there are parts that needs some fine tuning, particularly when it comes to lighting. I wasn't too sure what has replaced the demon with the rat in the dining room, as the strobe only lit up the underside of it, and I couldn't make it out. Similarly with the giant hand above you that lights up when the train goes underneath it. A few more tweaks and it'll be the best dark ride on the park.

Rode it twice today, and initial thoughts were very positive. I loved certain aspects of it. Particularly the mirror corridor, the new spider scene, and the finale.

But I do feel as though there are parts that needs some fine tuning, particularly when it comes to lighting. I wasn't too sure what has replaced the demon with the rat in the dining room, as the strobe only lit up the underside of it, and I couldn't make it out. Similarly with the giant hand above you that lights up when the train goes underneath it. A few more tweaks and it'll be the best dark ride on the park.

To be fair I don’t think anyone really knows what is sort of lit up where the rat demon was. It feels big so it’s surprising that it is so badly lit (and continues to be so).

To be fair I don’t think anyone really knows what is sort of lit up where the rat demon was. It feels big so it’s surprising that it is so badly lit (and continues to be so).
Believe it's like a big claw. Whatever it is, it sounds very dark/evil.

It depended on how many stops I had on ride but it was probably the second most tiring interactive dark ride I've been on with Ninjago at Legoland being first. At least Duel wasn't a video game on wheels!

Went on it twice today. Was impressed, but there was a heck of a lot happening. In fact i watched the Theme Park Worldwide review posted today and they mentioned lots of things i didn't notice at all. So next time i go i'll look out for these.
As a long term park-goer it was great to see all the Easter Eggs and references.
Definitely one for fan boys and girls.