• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Biggest issue today on the 4 rides I had on it was on one of them they played announcements into the ride telling people to stop filming/using a torch etc which kills the entire ride audio and very much ruins the ride experience for everyone. Hopefully they can do something so they can play the announcements without killing the ride audio all together.

Anyone with a better or nerdier memory than mine able to tell whether the Doom & Sons hearse that is now part of Coach House Confectionary is the old one from Haunted Hollow?
I'm not sure if this has been answered already, but no the Coach House Confectionary hearse is quite a different design to the old Haunted Hollow hearse.

The Haunted Hollow hearse can be seen on the Alton Towers' wikipedia page:
1280px-Alton_towers_hearse_at_haunted_hollow.jpg

Although this seems like a massive improvement to Duel, I'm a little bit disappointed about
the loss of the Grand Hall Demons and the pillar monster.
same here, definitelymy biggest disappointment. K think those Demons could've very easily been integrated itto the ride. Imagine if Emily summoned the Demons and the first one jumps out and does its thing, and the second one could be holding instead of a rat but a silver platter of human skulls while saying something like "Mmmmm, Delectable". (So basically Emily summoned a Demon to eat her parents and the house guests, in which it did so.) It would be very dark but also very funny with the line from the demon. I think that would fit jnto the ride really well personally and would be a major improvement over the projection of her.

Although this seems like a massive improvement to Duel, I'm a little bit disappointed about
Is this based on reading peoples reviews or actually experiencing the ride?

It's very easy to linger on missing effects when just hearing about changes to a ride. But sometimes even a good effect isn't worth keeping if it doesn't fit in with the new pacing and story.

I havn't been on yet, so I don't know if this is the case for the examples you've given. But I can certainly see cases for them no longer fitting in.

For the most part I think the exterior looks fantastic, but does anyone know what the purpose of the silhouette in the smashed window is for? All I can think is that some sort of lighting is projected behind it at night, but it looks a little silly during the day. Perhaps a leftover from the media event?

I’m not bothered about either if I am honest. Neither add to the new narrative. Plus neither was a particularly special effect.

Funnily enough the one animation I would have thought could maybe have been “fan serviced” would have been electric bill. I don’t care he is not in the ride but if there was to be any HH character they would have kept it would be that.

The rest is very much meh

For the most part I think the exterior looks fantastic, but does anyone know what the purpose of the silhouette in the smashed window is for? All I can think is that some sort of lighting is projected behind it at night, but it looks a little silly during the day. Perhaps a leftover from the media event?
It's a permanent feature, looks great at night - the day not so much

336922186_554341986678498_8451825229869094064_n.jpg

Edit: my comment below is talking about how the main window of the house looks.
I've realised that due to Spoiler sections this comment makes no sense without context. But it's not really a Spoiler in itself.

- - -

I think it's good that they've put real thought into how it'll look at night.
But given that their are only a few weeks in the year the building will be seen at night it seems very strange not to prioritise something that looks good in the day.

What has been lost was some the best props from the original, probably of better charm than most the new props—but they have been there for 20 years after the ride closed and don't fit the new theme in any way. They didn't fit Duel after. Finally undoing the mismatching /recycling of Duel is one the best moves of the new ride.

So is the new ride worth losing what was removed? Overall yes, I'm glad it goes for a new take and it works well!

Last edited:
I too thought the silhouette in the window makes the otherwise brilliant facade look naff. I think it needs a net curtain over it in the daytime or something or going in the other direction, an actual prop of Emily. It's nice that they've thought about a night time effect but the fact that it looks so awful in the day outweighs the 2 weeks of night openings at the end of the year.

What has been lost was some the best props from the original, of better quality than most the new props—but they have been there for 20 years after the ride closed and don't fit the new theme in any way. They didn't fit Duel after. Finally undoing the mismatching /recycling of Duel is one the best moves of the new ride.

So is the new ride worth losing what was removed? Overall yes, I'm glad it goes for a new take and it works well!
It's a shame, personally I thought some of them could've fit really well, but you're right, they never fitted into duel well when that was about zombies coming to life. I wonder if Towers has kept some of them in storage, they'd be great for future auctions!

minor complaint, but I wish that when the preshow ends it just doesn't immediately start all over again, it seems a bit overly repetitive. I think the queue needs to have a more standard ambient before the preshow begins, like a minute of just the chandeliers flickering then the start of the peppers ghost effect.

minor complaint, but I wish that when the preshow ends it just doesn't immediately start all over again, it seems a bit overly repetitive. I think the queue needs to have a more standard ambient before the preshow begins, like a minute of just the chandeliers flickering then the start of the peppers ghost effect.

The issue with that is it’s a moving queue so then a lot of people will miss it

I wonder whether a 3D figure in the window would be more effective. Similar to the beggar woman in Hex perhaps.

D4B5F2CD-C582-4289-9354-7F5618A5A342.png
Photo from TowersTimes

Instead have an Emily Alton figure covered in drapes.

It would look equally as effective in the day as it would at night with lighting, and it should be a fairly simple fix to improve the current 2D silhouette.

Issue with the ride when it has to pause for whatever reason. All effects seem to skip themselves for the whole ride. For example, if you’re in one scene, it stops and then goes again, any movement isn’t restarted or the audio hasn’t.

Must be due to sensors triggering, once your past it and it’s stopped there’s nothing to tell it to replay again basically.

Eaisly fixed but with annnoucements or brief pauses at the moment feels a little clunky