• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Wasn't there a reference to Rita somewhere? I'd hardly call that ride "dead" when all they did was drop the "Queen of Speed" part of the name and add a few vines. Likewise Air is Galactic in all but name since the VR is removed, and yet Air got a gravestone too.
Yet where's the grave for poor Nemesis! It actually is in pieces, and likely to have changed more than the above 2 when it reopens.
I don't think there's a lot of consistency in what did and didn't get referenced.

PS. I'm aware this is a serious sounding answer to a joke post. But I'm sure someone will take it literally.

All depends when Valhalla opens in seeing how it compares. Would give a better view on who is the best dark ride by then.

I wouldn't say that there was any discernable difference difference between Duel and Alton Manor - from a capacity perspective. The sixth seat probably doesn't make a right lot of difference in practice.

The (not a) pre-show is very cool, on our second lap people were hanging back to watch it so some empty rows went out. I imagine that's a short term non-issue though.

Last edited:
After some deliberation, here are my thoughts on the ride:-

- The overall atmosphere within Gloomy Wood is much improved, the additional bits of theming such as the new ironwork gates and signage, queue line, facade and immeasurable improvements to the F&B outlet are really welcome. I do feel the references to other rides are a little too obvious and excessive, and somewhat takes away the rides own identity however I appreciate the sentiment
- I didn’t really get to experience much of the pre-show that has been mentioned so will hopefully hang back on a quieter day, but the indoor queue area is looking fresh albeit largely unchanged
- It is difficult to look at it with fresh eyes after having had so many rides on Duel, it was very obvious to me what scares and elements had been repurposed. Realistically, most people are not going to notice this so it isn’t an issue.
- It seems there are some teething issues, as there was a very large section of complete darkness, and the final scare with the large Emily didn’t work for us and we only saw her unlit for a fraction of a second with the camera flash. Edit: apparently the rat demon isnt there as I thought.
- Thoroughly enjoyed the mix of digital effects and setpieces. The demon coming out of the fireplace, missing passengers, and return of the trommel are a highlight. The latter of which is really improved with the simple clock addition.
- Will definitely take some re-rides, given the storytelling is a little more ambitious I feel the vehicles travel slightly too fast to take it all in now however I am nitpicking.
- Final thoughts are it is a much improved, complete overall experience. No longer feels tired and dated but a more modern dark ride worthy of a major theme park. I will however miss ‘eeaayurghh’.

Last edited:
After some deliberation, here are my thoughts on the ride:-

- The overall atmosphere within Gloomy Wood is much improved, the additional bits of theming such as the new ironwork gates and signage, queue line, facade and immeasurable improvements to the F&B outlet are really welcome. I do feel the references to other rides are a little too obvious and excessive, and somewhat takes away the rides own identity however I appreciate the sentiment
- I didn’t really get to experience much of the pre-show that has been mentioned so will hopefully hang back on a quieter day, but the indoor queue area is looking fresh albeit largely unchanged
- It is difficult to look at it with fresh eyes after having had so many rides on Duel, it was very obvious to me what scares and elements had been repurposed. Realistically, most people are not going to notice this so it isn’t an issue.
- It seems there are some teething issues, as there was a very large section of complete darkness, and the final scare with the large Emily didn’t work for us and we only saw her unlit for a fraction of a second with the camera flash. I’m not sure if he is supposed to be used as a scare as noone has mentioned it, but the rat demon is very much still there (albeit immobile) as he was lit up with a very quick flash which may have been from the following cars scare behind us. It was actually an effective scare even if it wasn’t intentional.
- Thoroughly enjoyed the mix of digital effects and setpieces. The demon coming out of the fireplace, missing passengers, and return of the trommel are a highlight. The latter of which is really improved with the simple clock addition.
- Will definitely take some re-rides, given the storytelling is a little more ambitious I feel the vehicles travel slightly too fast to take it all in now however I am nitpicking.
- Final thoughts are it is a much improved, complete overall experience. No longer feels tired and dated but a more modern dark ride worthy of a major theme park. I will however miss ‘eeaayurghh’.
wait this guy is still there? duelbts-02.jpgif so, dear alton towers...

shut-up-take-my-money.gif

No it’s not there.

Pretty certain it is. Watching a POV, after turning right past the Emily screen in the Grand Hall, there is a sound effect and it briefly being lit up by purple lights. It exists in its original spot but just doesnt move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The rat demon has been removed. There's a new prop in the same location that probably reuses the original mechanism but it's definitely not the same as before. This is the case for a lot of other theming throughout the ride.

On a related note, some of the re-used mechanisms are now more visible than they were on Duel. Not sure why they haven't been covered up but hopefully that'll happen in the near future

Been on it twice this morning and really enjoyed it. Spotted different things on each run through and separate jump scares got me on each occasion.

The whole area seems much better now especially with the confectionery shop open. Creates a better atmosphere.

The merch was a bit basic, hopefully they refresh things as the secrets of the ride become more common knowledge.

Been on it twice this morning and really enjoyed it. Spotted different things on each run through and separate jump scares got me on each occasion.

The whole area seems much better now especially with the confectionery shop open. Creates a better atmosphere.

The merch was a bit basic, hopefully they refresh things as the secrets of the ride become more common knowledge.
Generally I’ve found Merlin Merch to remain slightly generic, logos and the such is the most.

Would be nice to see some little pieces that are unique but maybe we’ll see that like you said as time passes

Definitely only a very small amount of ride-themed merch on offer, a lot of generic tat much as was the case when it was the duel shop. Shawn Sandbrook has said in his opening day vlog that more themed merch should be on the way.

Definitely thought the generic smiling teddy bears were a bit of a missed opportunity, should have been given the Emily Alton treatment in some way.

I wonder if this is on purpose or by accident, I only mention as I always thought having different jump scares each time, or different ones for every car would be a great idea to make a dark ride re-ridable unlike the original haunted house where each car got the same jump scare each and every time and by the 2nd or 3rd ride you know where each is coming from!