• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Out of interest, have the park made some changes to the ride?

I’ve just watched this POV, which is the most recent one I could find on YouTube, and I did notice a few differences compared to when I rode:

Some things I picked up on:
  • It looks like they’ve tweaked the lighting in the Grand Hall. I could be wrong, but it looks a bit darker and bluer in hue than before. It also really accentuates the skeletons sat at the tables, which I never even noticed when I actually rode it!
  • Has the Trommel Tunnel always had a strobe light illuminating it? I swear it was just a regular light when I rode it…
  • The animated Emily in the mirror scene is now an actual animation rather than a simple picture that pops up.
  • There are more Screaming Heads than before, and I also feel like they look a bit different; I could be wrong, but weren’t they initially lit in red?
  • They’ve added a projection of Emily popping out of the coffin in the garden scene.
  • It looks like they’ve added a few more details into the final room before you get off.
Unfortunately, I did also notice that some of the effects weren’t working in that POV, most notably in the finale. Are they having issues with getting the timings right or something? It sounded like the audio for the final jumpscare triggered a bit late.

pretty sure there's always been two screaming heads since opening but they've been badly lighted and that has appeared to be fixed, there should be a smoke effect coming soon in the trommel where Emily says "Your MINE" as heard in the video and it lights orange should be a blast of smoke as you go into it, the screen of Emily in the window in the finale has been permanently removed I think as they've replaced it with a broken window and the projection of her hand coming down next to it should come back soon enough improved, some details have been added in the station and exit.

pretty sure there's always been two screaming heads since opening but they've been badly lighted and that has appeared to be fixed, there should be a smoke effect coming soon in the trommel where Emily says "Your MINE" as heard in the video and it lights orange should be a blast of smoke as you go into it, the screen of Emily in the window in the finale has been permanently removed I think as they've replaced it with a broken window and the projection of her hand coming down next to it should come back soon enough improved, some details have been added in the station and exit.
Interesting! So the screen with her eye on it is gone already?

I do think that the ride could definitely improve as the year goes on. I was rewatching some of the opening day videos earlier, and people who spoke to the likes of John Burton and Francis Jackson said that they apparently said about the dark scenes and such being improved in the coming months.

Out of interest, have the park made some changes to the ride?

I’ve just watched this POV, which is the most recent one I could find on YouTube, and I did notice a few differences compared to when I rode:

Some things I picked up on:
  • It looks like they’ve tweaked the lighting in the Grand Hall. I could be wrong, but it looks a bit darker and bluer in hue than before. It also really accentuates the skeletons sat at the tables, which I never even noticed when I actually rode it!
  • Has the Trommel Tunnel always had a strobe light illuminating it? I swear it was just a regular light when I rode it…
  • The animated Emily in the mirror scene is now an actual animation rather than a simple picture that pops up.
  • There are more Screaming Heads than before, and I also feel like they look a bit different; I could be wrong, but weren’t they initially lit in red?
  • They’ve added a projection of Emily popping out of the coffin in the garden scene.
  • It looks like they’ve added a few more details into the final room before you get off.
Unfortunately, I did also notice that some of the effects weren’t working in that POV, most notably in the finale. Are they having issues with getting the timings right or something? It sounded like the audio for the final jumpscare triggered a bit late.

I also noticed that there is an extra lighting effect on the wall at 3:00 above the trommel image.

I also noticed that there is an extra lighting effect on the wall at 3:00 above the trommel image.

Yes what is it meant to symbolise? I mean even if it doesn’t it’s a cool affect I love how they keep updating! I definitely think the animatronics or let’s say mechanics in the cellar/garden scene need to move faster for more of an impact or scare.

First time I noticed the broken window of Emily at the end (very similar to the one on the outside facade) I wish they replace that with one last jump scare, along the lines of the mummy ride of a screen/projector of a fake ride operator. Quickly smashing and morphing into Emily, similar to the spider scene but as a quick last jump scare) yeah why not chuck in a spray of water and a air cannon too. I feel it just needs that last little bit and would be easy to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random question but does anyone know to which degree the drawing room is tilted? and is it tilted so the floor is on an incline as well as on its side? I'm working on a project lol

I don't think that screen has changed or the hand has been removed it's just in the instance of this video that entire scene failed to trigger you hear it playing on the car behind.

Random question but does anyone know to which degree the drawing room is tilted? and is it tilted so the floor is on an incline as well as on its side? I'm working on a project lol
The Drawing Room floor isn't tilted anymore, but I don't know the angles it used to be at.

They are yes
I'm just slightly confused about the levels of the floor is the door you enter through lower down than the one that you exit from? I've been looking at the blueprints and the building in general and it's really confusing me lol

I'm just slightly confused about the levels of the floor is the door you enter through lower down than the one that you exit from? I've been looking at the blueprints and the building in general and it's really confusing me lol
Yeah the preshow queue path is ramped upwards.

It was all on one level, then they took it up as you enter the room you go off to the right and also up. I may be wrong but it seems like they've taken this floor up even higher than two years ago?

The ride is definitely running better now than it was on opening weekend. The only effect I noticed wasn’t working on my ride today was the giant puppets weren’t moving, the lighting for them was working though. Everything else seemed to be working fine including the mirror smash and the corridor with Emily in the ride vehicle.

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but one thing I did notice for the first time today was that the Hamble twins masks from the Boiler House scarefest maze are used in the garden scene. Nice to still be picking up on little things with each ride.

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but one thing I did notice for the first time today was that the Hamble twins masks from the Boiler House scarefest maze are used in the garden scene. Nice to still be picking up on little things with each ride.
Where in the garden? :eek: I would have loved to have seen that!

I did it a few times today (first time since opening weekend) and there has definitely been a few changes since then. I noticed in the queue line outside there are a few announcements about the story, and the same for the exit corridor thanking you for visiting the house. As well as the lighting flickering there too.

I’m sure on opening weekend the fireplace wasn’t on in the queue line, where it was today.

The lighting in the ride is definitely better now, as the grand hall scene is more darker and you spot the skeletons better as well as the screen at the end. The trommel also seemed better lit up compared to opening.

Effects are still a bit hit and bit, only got the loud bang with the wood at the end on one of the rides today, but everything else seemed generally okay.

I just found an interesting video showing Duel and Curse side by side:

Having watched this, I must say that it’s reinforced my previous opinion of feeling that Curse is a huge improvement on Duel overall!

I think that it is slightly skewed, as the Duel POV seems to have been filmed with a camera/phone with its torch enabled, whereas the Alton Manor POV is much darker. I agree on your conclusion though.