• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Had 2 rides on The Curse today and they were probably the best runthroughs I’ve ever had! Noticed a couple of new / new to me effects:

• Noticed the scene where Emily used to transform into a demon with the projection behind the doll no longer has that projection, but instead dims to darkness as she says “let’s play hide and seek”
  • During the flying heads scene, noticed a new line from Emily, but for the life of me can’t remember it
  • During the mirror scene, the set pieces before the mirrors are lit much better, starting off in darkness before the chandelier lights slightly and UV lights up the paper chains
  • Also during the mirror scene, noticed another new line from Emily, something along the lines of “where have you gone?” before she appears in the mirror in the fake ride car
Glad to see that further improvements are being made!

Had 2 rides on The Curse today and they were probably the best runthroughs I’ve ever had! Noticed a couple of new / new to me effects:

• Noticed the scene where Emily used to transform into a demon with the projection behind the doll no longer has that projection, but instead dims to darkness as she says “let’s play hide and seek”
  • During the flying heads scene, noticed a new line from Emily, but for the life of me can’t remember it
  • During the mirror scene, the set pieces before the mirrors are lit much better, starting off in darkness before the chandelier lights slightly and UV lights up the paper chains
  • Also during the mirror scene, noticed another new line from Emily, something along the lines of “where have you gone?” before she appears in the mirror in the fake ride car

Have they got rid of the demon projector? That was a really cool effect I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happens a lot, sometimes ideas don't translate well from page to reality, sometimes things break and they need to consider alternatives, sometimes things aren't implemented well.

Putting things in such black and white terms of "well they're thinking of changing things so the park thinks it's crap" is the sort of often toxic discourse that inhabits way too much of social media nowadays.
Not at all, It's just sad the ride didn't receive the budget it needed.

It's had very mixed reviews, the fact that they're already considering changes and constantly asking for feedback regarding the ride experience tells me they aren't happy with it themselves.

The original Haunted House had changes within the first few months and going into its second year and was considered a sucess from the outset. Hex had negative feedback with its original preshows and is now considered one of the best dark rides in the UK.

Last edited:

Most of the stuff here are the same as how it's been since opening. The only thing is the demon Shadow projection sounds like when the projector isn't working. Everything else you've mentioned is how it normally is. The "where have you gone?" is randomized with another phrase " everyone vanishes in this house"

Most of the stuff here are the same as how it's been since opening. The only thing is the demon Shadow projection sounds like when the projector isn't working. Everything else you've mentioned is how it normally is. The "where have you gone?" is randomized with another phrase " everyone vanishes in this house"
Ahh I see, I must be really unlucky then to have never experienced these 😂

Glad to see that further improvements are being we had a s

that's interesting, i had a ride around 3, there was stoppage, just as i got on, we then did around 4 scenes in mostly pitch black, the mirror was just our reflection and no emily, and some audio was off, the trommel tunnel was working, did however notice stuff on the ride that definetely wasn't working on tuesday!

that's interesting, i had a ride around 3, there was stoppage, just as i got on, we then did around 4 scenes in mostly pitch black, the mirror was just our reflection and no emily, and some audio was off, the trommel tunnel was working, did however notice stuff on the ride that definetely wasn't working on tuesday!
It just goes to show how quickly they can get it all reset and working again! Just checked and the time stamp on our second ride’s on ride photo was 3:51pm which had everything working (except for the demon projection as I’m now learning that what we experienced happens when the projector isn’t working)

I found some footage of the forbidden "strip lights". They're the same as the blue ones that have been there since opening day however something has happened to make them brighter and white for some reason. Maybe they've accidentally been reset or something? Who knows
Is there any chance that you could share the footage?

Maybe those lights people were talking about were installed in case of evacuation and aren't going to be left on hindering the pre show

Visited Alton Towers for the first time in a few years with my partners niece and nephew 15 & 11 who had never been before.
Told them about Duel and they seamed to look forward to the idea of a bit of competitive fun in the day (not knowing it had been replaced)
We arrived at the que to a load of weird actors walking around with spades.
Once in the attraction I began to get that sinking feeling that the ride had in fact been changed and indeed it had. We sat down in the carriages and almost fell asleep on the way round. I can honestly say I've never been so bored on a ride in my life. They felt the same and were very disappointed. I really don't understand how Towers even thought this replacement for an enjoyable ride for all would even be a good idea!? Safe to say we were all very much let down by the experience and all said we wouldn't waste our time going on that ever again.

Visited Alton Towers for the first time in a few years with my partners niece and nephew 15 & 11 who had never been before.
Told them about Duel and they seamed to look forward to the idea of a bit of competitive fun in the day (not knowing it had been replaced)
We arrived at the que to a load of weird actors walking around with spades.
Once in the attraction I began to get that sinking feeling that the ride had in fact been changed and indeed it had. We sat down in the carriages and almost fell asleep on the way round. I can honestly say I've never been so bored on a ride in my life. They felt the same and were very disappointed. I really don't understand how Towers even thought this replacement for an enjoyable ride for all would even be a good idea!? Safe to say we were all very much let down by the experience and all said we wouldn't waste our time going on that ever again.
Very interesting take for it, I wouldn't say its boring, yes it's a higher quality ride, but nowhere near as fun or memorable as Duel though. There's a thread already made for Alton Manor, you can find it here.