• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Do some people make accounts just to troll? My opinion has been the same since I first rode it, in that people don’t actually appreciate what a high level this has mostly been done to and don’t realise how incredibly poor Duel was and the state it was in.

They may do but just because that sometimes happens I don’t like people saying disagreement is trolling. I hated people saying that those who liked the ride where fanboys back when it opened and a few on here did that.

They may do but just because that sometimes happens I don’t like people saying disagreement is trolling. I hated people saying that those who liked the ride where fanboys back when it opened and a few on here did that.
Works both ways, those that liked Duel or preferred it were called fanboys about the HH/Duel

Works both ways, those that liked Duel or preferred it were called fanboys about the HH/Duel

possibly.

People should disagree on these points and debate then but it’s better if we avoid the labels.

I strongly disliked Duel and I did from the day it arrived. It was LED’s and some cheap zombies, including a naff scrolling LED sign in the station. If I can give it any credit it had a catchy music theme.

other than the music it for me had no redeeming features, it was an abomination of a dark ride as the shooting element didn’t add to the ride but those who liked it shouldn’t be insulted.

It should be added I haven’t always thought this. I was very happy to resort to insulting cliches to folk who like Icon for instance, I have just changed my opinion on these things over time. I still will say Icon is an abomination but I try to stop calling those who think it has merit “fanboys”.

I find when they have a ride type and a name as their username and start conversations about Benches and Inverted log flumes then it might be a sign.

If the usernames suggests such things then what’s the point of debate. If someone’s hides to make a point then they make to post at all.

Had two rides on The Curse at Alton Manor today and if I'd been blindfolded going into the building both times you'd swear you'd ridden two different rides.

The first go hardly anything was working, even the effects that are usually fairly reliable. To make matters worse the ride stopped twice during the experience due to technical issues although it resumed fairly quickly tbf. Needless to say I was far from impressed but I also had people with me who this was their first time experiencing it and they said it's the worst ride they had ever seen.

Managed to persuade them all to give it another go at around 5.45pm right before queue close and it was far far better. All effects seemed to be working and in sync too. Everyone agreed how good it was.

This is definitely one inconsistent attraction. I have had 6 goes on it now this season and I have barely had the same experience twice on it and not in a good way.

Why is it so hit and miss?

I wonder if it's the spacing of the cars. They still speed up and slow down to suit the old layout, meaning sometimes the effects don't fire or have chance to reset properly. Hopefully this is something they can address in the upcoming closed season

Generally I’ve always had rides working very well, and when effects haven't worked it’s usually when they don’t work all day.

I do think some effects are trigger by one trigger, meaning if the first one doesn’t trigger then you could end up with a scene not working at all.

I’ve had it once where we briefly stopped before the screaming heads, and we didn’t get the screaming heads or the other effects until we got to the garden.

Does anyone think they could replace the ride system in the future?

It really lets the ride down I think the “Gangster Granny” ride system, but perhaps a little abit speeder would make it much more thrilling for the average guests. As it spins and other movement elements, I personally don’t believe that ride system is used to it’s full potential. I’m sure if this is double within this building restrictions, anyone technical minded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone think they could replace the ride system in the future?

It really lets the ride down I think the “Gangster Granny” ride system, but perhaps a little abit speeder would make it much more thrilling for the average guests. As it spins and other movement elements, I personally don’t believe that ride system is used to it’s full potential. I’m sure if this is double within this building restrictions, anyone technical minded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even though the Haunted House ride system is much older than the Gangsta Granny one, it's still much more reliable and quality build.

It's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Tesla Model S. Yeah one is much more modern and has more features, but with a much worse build quality and a much less reliable product.

The ride system is perfectly fine as it is straight after a refurbishment and a retheme.

From a curse POV I don’t really see anything within there that hasn’t been done before. The best practical effect is still the 30 year old tunnel.

I will still ride it multiple times when I visit if it’s quiet but it’s no longer a ride I would consider queuing for as I find it quite boring now. I didn’t get that feeling with Duel, possibly because of nostalgia or interaction.

I don’t think it’s had the footfall and attractive numbers through the gates that Alton anticipated it would attract. There were a lot of mixed reviews in the earlier weeks that perhaps put people off.