• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Alpenexpress & Tiroler Wildwasserbahn Rebuild

There were also shown some artworks not yet public (no photos allowed) which show a dramatic mountain landscape with deep gorges and rope bridges over them to walk around. If it realized like that it will be spectacular.
And they will not only rebuilt the Shop, but the former walkway from the end of the hall along those strange gnome houses. But it is not clear, how much there will change. They plan to reintroduce the typical lemony smell there, too.
That is great news!

If the under-passage returns (I thought it might from the angled section when the new layout was released, but couldn't see how) and the scent then that's a really good sign. Like Rob I havn't actually smelt it in years but on my first visit it was amazing.

Rope bridges also explain why the route of the path is not clear on the plans. That would be very good.

Construction worker Ed Euromaus while advertising the rebuild has demonstrated why you shouldn't stand up during a ride
index.php

Source

The rate of this reconstruction project is quite remarkable. Two cranes onsite, loads of workers and it is just non-stop. Rockwork progressed quite significantly between Monday and Thursday of last week.

I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Goodbye old shop! It was always very cramped and small in there.

I can't remember off the top of my head, is it being replaced?

I’m not sure there’s any confirmation one way or another, but in order to separate the Spanish area from Austria, it’s safe to assume there will be some sort of barrier between the two countries. I wouldn’t be surprised if they build a new shop to serve people exiting by the hotels.

I’m not sure there’s any confirmation one way or another, but in order to separate the Spanish area from Austria, it’s safe to assume there will be some sort of barrier between the two countries. I wouldn’t be surprised if they build a new shop to serve people exiting by the hotels.

Build a wall, dip it in gold and make Mexico pay for it all [/ERB]

I would imagine there will be viewing windows built in it

Just come across the following video which shows how the reconstruction is progressing:

Most of the focus is still on the rockwork, and they are racing along.

One thought I had on this recently was that in an ideal world, I imagine that you would build the coaster first and then do all of the rockwork/theming. Clearly due to time pressures and the lead time on getting a new coaster at the last minute that has not been possible. Installing the coaster amongst all of the completed rockwork is going to be a bit of a unique challenge.

Some new photos have been posted over on epfans.de, and now that the Bellevue Wheel is open we're going to continue to get some great overhead shots of the area I feel:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

You can really get a free from these photos as to how Alpenexpress is going to be in-between all of the rockwork, almost as if it is going through canyons. How they are going to fully segregate all of this new Austrian theming from Spain is going to be interesting though, as the rock walls are rather high.

That looks more like a Disney construction site than a Merlin construction site. Both Pirates and this have those big concrete walls. After two major fires, it does look like they’re trying to use less flammable materials, or at least put in those big concrete walls to slow down any fire, and stop it ripping through the site in a matter of minutes.

I’m quite surprised as the choice of rock colour. I would have imagined it to be more of an orange hue than the greys they’ve used, similar to the previous rockwork in the area, which for example supports the log flume’s drop.

How they're going to fully segregate all of this new Austrian theming from Spain is going to be interesting though, as the rock walls are rather high.

I'd assume they'd use the same philosophy as Klugheim up the road where it's setup to not be offensive if seen from elsewhere

I’m quite surprised as the choice of rock colour. I would have imagined it to be more of an orange hue than the greys they’ve used, similar to the previous rockwork in the area, which for example supports the log flume’s drop.

A quick Google search shows the new rocks are far more accurate to what rocks in Austria actually look like. I suspect we'll see the old rocks painted to match, rather than the other way around.

On that subject, I always had the impression the old Austria area was a copy of Western areas at other parks (most the troupes are there) but adjusted slight to make it feel more European. Hence why the rocks were sand coloured rather than granite.

Edit:
This is how I'd expect an Austrian mine train to feel:

Last edited:
A quick Google search shows the new rocks are far more accurate to what rocks in Austria actually look like. I suspect we'll see the old rocks painted to match, rather than the other way around.

On that subject, I always had the impression the old Austria area was a copy of Western areas at other parks (most the troupes are there) but adjusted slight to make it feel more European. Hence why the rocks were sand coloured rather than granite.

The area of Austria WAS a kind of Wild West area in the first years of the park, explaining the color of the old rockwork. The Alpenexpress was then called Grottenblitz and had a Wild West Theming. Some of this theming was just now removed, e.g. a typical Western wind-driven waterpump that was standing around until a few weeks ago. Even the buildings the Alpenexpress drove by, were originally Western mine buildings that were repurposed as Austrian alpine huts. The whole area was part of a much bigger Adventureland in the 1980s, including the rafts on the lake, the paddle steamer, the restaurant thatched with reeds, the log flume and the mine train. In fact, Austria in Europapark is the only major land in the park that was not planned that way, but just repurposed as such in the 1990s after the concept of European countries was established and Adventureland was a bit of an outsider, so part of it was taken away to form Austria. Theming was adapted partially, but not systematically. So Austria was always a mixed bag thematically. With the expansion to the rafts and steam, and now the rebuilding of the log flume/mine train area, it should be much more consistent Austrian. Now they only have retheme part of the outside of Seehaus Restaurant.

Regarding the rocks being taller than the rooftops of the Spain buildings on their other side, I don’t think it will be an issue. The street through Spain is rather narrow, so I doubt you’d be able to get far away enough to have line of sight to the top of the rocks.

The area of Austria WAS a kind of Wild West area in the first years of the park, explaining the color of the old rockwork. The Alpenexpress was then called Grottenblitz and had a Wild West Theming. Some of this theming was just now removed, e.g. a typical Western wind-driven waterpump that was standing around until a few weeks ago. Even the buildings the Alpenexpress drove by, were originally Western mine buildings that were repurposed as Austrian alpine huts. The whole area was part of a much bigger Adventureland in the 1980s, including the rafts on the lake, the paddle steamer, the restaurant thatched with reeds, the log flume and the mine train. In fact, Austria in Europapark is the only major land in the park that was not planned that way, but just repurposed as such in the 1990s after the concept of European countries was established and Adventureland was a bit of an outsider, so part of it was taken away to form Austria. Theming was adapted partially, but not systematically. So Austria was always a mixed bag thematically. With the expansion to the rafts and steam, and now the rebuilding of the log flume/mine train area, it should be much more consistent Austrian. Now they only have retheme part of the outside of Seehaus Restaurant.
That is fascinating, and thanks for confirming it. I feel like that's something they've managed to cover up well in all the parks history by just referring to the area as Austria, even on timelines for when those rides were built (in the historama show for example).