• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Alpenexpress & Tiroler Wildwasserbahn Rebuild

From what I’ve seen so far, from numerous POVS, the above is certainly largely agreeable.

I think Wildwasserbahn greatly benefits the most from the change in scenery, due to its position, the design of the rockwork and enhancement of some effects. It certainly still looks a decent and rideable attraction.

Sadly, Alpenexpress certainly looks a noticeable downgrade. As nice it is going through rockwork, there was certainly something special about the train quickly flying through the mysterious hall. Something that’s gone forever.

The original Alpenexpress was probably my favourite powered coaster around. However, it is difficult to know what will take that spot, as far as existing versions go. both versions of this ride are solid proof that the right use of design, theming and terrain can turn a good ride into a great one!

Shall have to see what it looks like in the flesh, when I visit relatively soon.

I wish people would say that about my political statements ;)
had to respond to this because it rang so true! for all the years we've both been on these forum I know we've clashed on many political subjects. But I've never dismissed anything you've had to say about Theme Parks, you've made some of the best observations over the years.

Anyway what I actually came to post, I think Alton's Runaway Mine Train has one of the best layouts. As JW put a lot of effort into making each part of the layout interesting. Could you imagine if they enclosed the ride from the point it passes over the pathway until the current tunnel ends and themed it like the Diamond Mine how good that would be! For starters it's all downhill, so it would seem like the ride is desending deeper with every turn. It also runs along a pathway, that could make a perfect viewing area. Then there is the interaction with it and the Rapids, which is more of a feature on these rides as they pass in opposite directions.

Basically what I'm say, please Alton, give us the true successor to the Diamond Mine!

Got to experience the updated Austrian themed area whilst at Europa-Park last week. We were actually there on the official opening day, so I ended up spending most of Tuesday morning waiting for and watching the opening press conference and ceremony which was a tad tedious but quite cool to see.

Alpenexpress

Is it as good as before? Probably not quite, you don't have the same sense of speed but that is not really a surprise seeing as it no longer goes indoors. The trains are very comfortable, the ride experience is smooth and it is still a fun family coaster. And there is a definitely a slight profile change as the coaster comes back to the station.

Tiroler Wildwasserbahn

As @Sam said previously, this now is a lot better with the new theming. It interacts quite heavily with the Adventure Trail and there are some new water effects that are controlled by those on the trail, which does mean you get wetter than before. Oh and you get to see the dragon! I've always enjoyed Tiroler, and that has not changed!

Yomi Adventure Trail

We really enjoyed this, but damn it's hard work! Whilst not as good as the Deep in Africa trail at Phantasialand, it does offer a different sort of experience at Europa-Park and you get some lovely views from the high points in the trail. The route is a bit confusing; the main route is actually just a walkway and does not involve and climbing/slides etc., and there was one bit where to get back down you have to go the same way that you climbed up. We couldn't do one part of the trail as they were doing some electrical work.

I am so pleased that they were able to recreate the little gemstone houses at the end of the trail that lead to the shop, all bursting with the gorgeous Diamond Mine scent!

Overall Thoughts

This may be somewhat controversial, but I think overall this is an upgrade on what was there before. Yes, Diamond Mine was beautifully charming and unique, but the new theme fits in to Austria better. The mountain like rockwork theming is also very different to much of the other theming in Europa-Park.

I cannot quite believe what they have managed to achieve in only 10-11 months, it is remarkable. To think that this time last year the old Alpenexpress was still running and Diamond Mine standing, and now I have experienced their replacements after a process of design, demolition, site preparation, construction and testing. Incredible.

One final thing. When I was there in April I was not too sure about the new view you have from Spain where you can see right through to the Austrian themed area. However, now that the rides are running I think this works well. It add some kinetic energy to Spain; now you can see Alpenexpress, Trioler, the Panoramabahn all moving as well as guests on the Adventure Trail.

I'm in two minds over this after seeing it.

Tirol was 100% an upgrade with all the new interactions with the adventure trail and in general, much brighter vibe it has going. Definitely the soggiest I have ever been on it, and ended up blinded for a fair bit after due to the amount of chlorine they had in the water on the day. Goggles might be needed to avoid that ha.

Alpenexpress however... It just felt Off. As @Rob says you don't get that sense of speed you got from going through the Diamond Cave and to me, it felt shorter by being all outdoors.

With the adventure trail, I admit that we didn't do the full thing- I took one look at the size of the slides and such and thought "nope, I am not getting down through that, I'm too tall and I will get stuck and roast in this metal tube". I also echo that the route was confusing- one of the first things you come across at the start is a slide's exit, with a stop/ no entry sign. Makes sense. Right next to that, is what I thought was another painted on no entry sign at the start of some stairs.... and it took an embarrassingly long while for it to click that "Hey, these are the trail markers- they're square Austrian flags!".

I did like that the gemstone homes leading to the shop were back, and it's well worth to pop your head into anywhere you can down that path!

In terms of the rockwork, my main issues is how square the passageways of the rides looked. It took away the natural feel to everything. Another Choice made is the use of artificial grass, plants, and moss all over the rocks. I can't see these lasting well under the sun and elements, and will be interesting to see if EP will swap them out when need be or for something else.

Kudos for the park in recovering so quickly and getting it all back open as fast as they did!

And now, a few photos!

20240512_161027.jpg20240512_161025.jpg20240512_160425.jpg
20240512_161147.jpg

In terms of the rockwork, my main issues is how square the passageways of the rides looked. It took away the natural feel to everything. Another Choice made is the use of artificial grass, plants, and moss all over the rocks. I can't see these lasting well under the sun and elements, and will be interesting to see if EP will swap them out when need be or for something else.
Completely agree with all this. Obviously it's great how quickly they got the two rides back open, but I can't help but think it would have turned out better if they'd spent a bit more time on it.

So I have no knowledge of the old rides.
I loved the log flume (why does the small drop always get you more soaked than the large one on these things?).
Alpenexpress just felt meh, agree with comments. Didn’t really experience Alpen or express. I’m glad I did this in the hotel opening rather than the consistent 25 min queue.
As I don’t have the nostalgic reference to the crystals, it all seems a little out of place with this design - there’s no story/thematic development. Which given the rest of the park just felt odd. Still I’ll take it over Hyperia’s wasteland theming.

I loved the log flume (why does the small drop always get you more soaked than the large one on these things?).
In the case of Tiroler, it’s the rebound wall at the bottom of the drop which then soaks the boat as it speeds through! I was hoping they’d remove this for the rebuild, alas. With the big drop at the end, the boats are going at a faster pace so skim over the top of the water a bit more easily and displace the water outwards, resulting in a more pleasant spritz.

I finally got to witness the reimagined Austrian area and naturally have mixed-positive thoughts on all of this.

Tiroler Wildwasserbahn:
Probably the main attraction which benefits from the overall changes and updates. I really like how it interacts with the new walkways and everything, plus also the effects and the dragons. Nothing less than an equal replacement.

Alpen Express 2:
I was expecting this to be something a major downgrade and comparable to something like Scorpion Express. However actually it was still largely enjoyable with the nicely styled rock work and nearby interaction. Sadly it’s still a slight downgrade from the previous ride, but still a strong powered coaster.

Yomi Advrnture Trail:
It reminds me between things you see in Tover Land and the Robinson Tree at DLRP. It’s an interesting little place to explore and I like the references to the old diamond mine there.

Overall:
This re-imagining of the area was always going to have big boots to fill, and whilst they haven’t been filled entirely they have done more-so than I expected.

A similar/modern rebuild of the old hall was probably never going to happen for a number of reasons but I like what they have done, even if it lacks some of the charm. Its Still remarkable they have done all this in half the time that Scorpion Express has remained closed.

Quite incredible that yesterday marks a year from the fire, and yet it feels like the new Alpenexpress and Tiroler have been opening for ages!

The park confirmed at the recent fan event that there is still more theming, animation and figures that will be added to both rides in the coming weeks.