• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

The website does look better it must be said. But I hope they get rid of all the naff "with a track length 3x longer than Oblivion" stuff for the Smiler, and all that cringe worthy "Lord of Darkness" fan service stuff for Oblivion. The following statement on Oblivion's page is also questionable.

Since opening in 1998, Oblivion has scared and delighted 1700 Alton Towers visitors every hour that the theme park is open.

From what I've seen, the marketing / branding style is shifting back to a 90s theme with the stars and whimsical approach. Jumping back to the video released last month (can't remember what it was of) I wouldn't be surprised if the old IMAscore Towers Street music has been removed and replaced with a new remastered version of the original Towers Street theme, which was a lot more magical and less depressing.

The '21/ '22 rebrand was too corporate and bland for a theme park.

Less than a month before opening now and still no Dungeons tickets on sale. Odd.
Is it possible that they've removed it as an upsell this year? They're down three flats and it may be a smart way of offering some additional capacity, whilst also giving half a new experience for those who haven't done it before (because of the upsell). It could all be with a view for a removal next year.

From what I've seen, the marketing / branding style is shifting back to a 90s theme with the stars and whimsical approach. Jumping back to the video released last month (can't remember what it was of) I wouldn't be surprised if the old IMAscore Towers Street music has been removed and replaced with a new remastered version of the original Towers Street theme, which was a lot more magical and less depressing.

The '21/ '22 rebrand was too corporate and bland for a theme park.

I imagine it'll be the 21/22 music, the 2009ish music and possibly the older version with ride snippets in a long loop

I've never been to the Dungeons, would you mind saying what it was like? As I was tempted to pay the extra for it last year
The Dungeons is a series of shows and a ride. You go through different scenarios in national and local history. These scenes include a torture demonstration, a court of law and a plague doctor. Guests are sometimes selected from the audience to take part in the story telling (perhaps to demonstrate torture equipment on or to be tried for their crimes). The Alton Towers Dungeons also includes the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory boat ride which now goes through different torture and execution methods.
My advice is MAP users should just go to London, Edinburgh, York and Blackpool since they get those for free anyway. For everyone else it is a difficult decision, the other dungeons (bar Warwick) are more expensive but they are bigger. You also aren't losing time on park if going to the other dungeons.

The Dungeons is OK to do once, but I would only do it if you have time in the day and don't mind paying for it. I've only been on it once in its first season, and won't ever bother again. I will be glad to see the back of it and see that building turned into a ride that's included in the theme park ticket.

Upsells in parks feel so cheap and tacky to me. I’ll give a pass to the seasonal events but basically charging extra for one ride on top of all the others doesn’t sit right with me.

I think it alienates the casual visitor too who may not be aware and I note that they abandoned the upsell of Marvel 4D at Madame Tussaud’s which suggests there’s a general lack of appetite.

It’s another negative on the whole experience. Just make it into a regular dark ride, spread out the queues that little bit more in the rest of the park and give your customers an overall better experience.

Did the dungeons once when I was a bit younger and at the park with family who it’s fair to say aren’t mad keen on coasters. It was fine, almost enjoyable but it just shouldn’t be in a theme park.

A re theme of Walliams, building Horizon and reclaiming the Dungeon is one of the most exciting (and logical!) things Towers could be doing in the near future.

Nothing wrong with the Dungeons experience really. It's decent enough if you've never done one before. Definitely worth doing once.

The problems with it is the fact it takes 45 mins out of a 6 hour day, is an upcharge, and takes over a family boat ride in a family area.

If they had a dungeons (or any of their midways) out in the resort I probably wouldn’t visit but I wouldn’t begrudge them being there.

In park is just not on (Sealife works but that’s because it’s free and takes 10 minutes)