• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

I know what he was implying. This map just showcases the main attractions which is fine but I think it’s a bit of an insult to not include curse on this version

But it’s a preview ? Meaning it’s not finished.

And an insult, does The Curse have feelings?

Honestly we’ve had numerous pages of map talk now surely there is something, anything else to discuss.

Is the price of beer going up on the resort does anyone know!

Confirmation that Forbidden Valley will keep its name?

I quite like it. A bit like the Thorpe map, it’s more navigational than the previous ones.

I tried doing a dodgy screenshot on my phone so it may not come out very clearly. I’m sure a high quality version will appear at some point today.

IMG_2054.jpeg
I do like it (except CBeebies Land, which looks odd and squashed).

But then that might be expected, as it's strikingly similar to the map we used to produce back on TowersTimes. I mean, it's somewhat to be expected as it's the same perspective, but it's remarkable really.

The word "tuned" in quotes piques me. Is that deliberate? Tuned makes me think of a radio channel or streaming content?

I think the start of that map reveal video might also contain a sneak peek of what Bianca mentioned here:
1709984925730.png

I suspect the App is going to be getting an upgrade when it is updated.
Going by the fact that the word "tuned" has quotes around it, i'm sort of hoping and expecting it may be music related? What do you think?

I quite like the new map. I think the old one was starting to get a bit too busy and not particularly functional, so I definitely think that a new design was needed, personally.

As for whether the park is moving in the right direction under Bianca and new Merlin; my view is that overall, it is. Yes, there are still issues that haven’t yet been solved, but Bianca and the new team at Merlin have not been here very long at all in the grand scheme of things. Rome wasn’t built in a day; Bianca and the new upper management team at Merlin were not going to blaze in and solve every problem within a year.

If you look at the commonly cited to-do lists from enthusiasts, they are far, far too long and costly to be completed in one year, particularly when considering the already committed-to projects like Nemesis Reborn. You’re not going to get multiple new flat rides, upgrades to Hex and Skyride, instant TLC to some of the park’s weaker areas, upgrades to the Monorail, upgrades to Congo River Rapids, a retheme of Walliams, a retheme of the Dungeons, and everything else being requested by enthusiasts in one or two years. It’s simply far, far too expensive, and far too big of a mountain to climb in one year alongside the projects the park had already committed to. The task of improving the park and solving all of its problems is going to be a long process that takes many, many years to complete. Bianca’s mission will most certainly be a marathon rather than a sprint, and with that in mind, I think her and the new management team at Merlin have made an overall admirable start.

I must admit, however, that I do have concerns about whether a focus primarily on rejuvenation at the expense of new major projects long-term may adversely affect the park. Perhaps controversially, I do not feel that a delay of Horizon beyond 2026 or a cancellation of Horizon like some are suggesting would be a good idea. I’d be more sympathetic to the idea had Alton’s last major draw been more recent, but 2026 would already represent 8 years since Alton Towers’ last major new ride investment, in Wicker Man. If you delay much beyond 2026, it will have been the best part of 10 years since the park’s last major ride investment. That is a long time, and I think there’s only so long the park can focus primarily on refurbishing and rejuvenating for. I accept that this rejuvenation is necessary, and at the moment, I fully agree that it’s a positive step, but I think that some compromise to allow for a new major ride investment within the next couple of years is also necessary.

I must admit, however, that I do have concerns about whether a focus primarily on rejuvenation at the expense of new major projects long-term may adversely affect the park. Perhaps controversially, I do not feel that a delay of Horizon beyond 2026 or a cancellation of Horizon like some are suggesting would be a good idea. I’d be more sympathetic to the idea had Alton’s last major draw been more recent, but 2026 would already represent 8 years since Alton Towers’ last major new ride investment, in Wicker Man. If you delay much beyond 2026, it will have been the best part of 10 years since the park’s last major ride investment. That is a long time, and I think there’s only so long the park can focus primarily on refurbishing and rejuvenating for. I accept that this rejuvenation is necessary, but I think that some compromise to allow for a new major ride investment within the next few years is also necessary.
Completely agree with this. Already 6 years since Wicker man opened in 2018. To me the gap should’ve been 7 years. There was a 5 year gap between Smiler and Wicker man and we can take into account the 2 years of covid so I think 7 years with a 2025 opening would’ve been perfect. Shame it’s been delayed but as long as it’s no later than 2026 it should be fine

I was hoping for something music-related too. It'd be brilliant if the new management were to push through a digital store with music, etc. It's not a big money maker, but it's the combination of the little steps that help to enhance a business, brand, and engagement, and there is a market for that (whether that's 10,000 or 150,000, I don't know, but if you charged per download, the numbers may not be entirely insignificant, and nothing evokes emotion and memories of the place more than their music).

I also appreciate there are licensing laws, risk of people misusing, etc., so they'd have to get all that covered, but it's something the community have never really had (excepting for that CD 4 years ago and one back in the early 90's) - full versions of the park's soundtracks - and I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
The maps needed an overhaul like this for the last five years or so, Walliam’s World always looked dreadful on the map, this is sooooooo much better. Will need a proper look at it, but this is probably the best map they’ve had since 2010
To be fair, Walliams World looks dreadful in real life as well so at least it's accurate.

I prefer the new map, it's actually helpful to have one that's at least slightly more geographically useful, helps to find the shortest routes across the park particularly as we know there'll be no Skyride this year.

I assume not all of the labels are finalised yet. It makes sense that they would want to call out SubTerra given it's a sister attraction to the main focus attraction which is obviously Nemesis Reborn.

Wow glass half full or what? The sky ride and hex are both still having refurbishment works, these things take time, parts, man power they had to prioritise nemmy understandably for opening day. So really the total of all the rides and offering there only two rides down for Maintence and refurbishment? Is this not the norm at majority of theme parks around the world? They are going to be open with improvements how is that not a step in the right direction? You can see the works on the sky ride were happening ages ago, clearly takes time to get such complex rides open, I think we’re being a little impatient here.

We still have many great Events this season, where a few years ago we didn’t have half this many? The events that have been scrapped needed to go think we all agree on that. The themepark doesn’t need constant events all year, I personally don’t think I’ve ever planned my decision to go AT around an event. Apart from Halloween and fireworks night or a launch of a new ride.

Pirates, AT after dark, October fest, Scarefest, fireworks, Christmas plenty?
I must add say they been adding street theatre, characters and meet & greets, something we also lacked for years.

Car park prices will go up as inflation does, like the rest of the world unfortunately.

Retro squads rides needed to go there are plans to replace Bianca confirmed they have purchased 3, but as we seen in the planning application for project ocean they don’t just want to plonk them down anyway, they want to theme theme plan according and landscape. Again this is all going in the right direction no?

Adding to this they also added Sub Terror back to the line up, Curse was a success, waterfalls back on, fire back on big Bob and it appears major TLC has taken place across the park.

I’m sorry you can’t deny with new management and being privately owned it’s all going in the right direction?

we can always pick flaws and what we would like to change or scrutinise but come on this is great for AT and I’m backing it all the way this year, we don’t need to constantly complain anymore I feel this is a new chapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hex is no excuse to be closed.. it's been down for a year. That should have been the last ride to be opening late.