• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

I don't understand why destinations like Towers should have to provide chargers. You don't see petrol pumps. If you're getting low on battery, charge up en-route to Towers or on the way home.
Like or not, destination charging increases revenue. If these are the ones promised by Raw Charging last year then they aren't free for end users, both Raw and Merlin will get their cut. So it's another passive income stream.

Watch them do the clown move of putting in DC Rapids instead of banks of 7/11kW AC points though

About bloody time they're installing chargers. Very late to the party. I think EV's will go the way of the dodo once Toyota sort out their hydrogen combustion engine, but for the next decade or so, that's a lot of EV's that will need charging.

As for this £10 parking charge, I don't know what to think of it. On one hand I've always been of the opinion that one of the reasons Towers is such a bin is because it's simply too cheap to visit. You end up getting what you pay for. On the other though, it's probably naive to think they're using the cash to start resurfacing, installing charging points, or even potentially sorting out the monorail in the future isn't it? They've sat on the £6/£7 charge for years and just trousered it whilst things have declined.

Am I right in thinking that some chargers (maybe the Tesla ones?) will only allow you to stay plugged in for a certain length of time, then actually fine you if you don’t unplug and vacate the spot? I can’t see that being very practical to park in for the whole day. What if someone is in the queue for Rita? It could take them 45 minutes to get to their car even if they left the queue right then.

Am I right in thinking that some chargers (maybe the Tesla ones?) will only allow you to stay plugged in for a certain length of time, then actually fine you if you don’t unplug and vacate the spot? I can’t see that being very practical to park in for the whole day. What if someone is in the queue for Rita? It could take them 45 minutes to get to their car even if they left the queue right then.
I have a Tesla and have never been fined.
However if you overstay at a supercharger they do charge you up to £1/min overstay fees. This is when it's a high use station and you go over 80% without overriding the limit in the app or when you are at 100% and blocking the bay.

I don't think any AC chargers out there would charge overstay fees though as it defeats the point of destination charging.

My local council car parks all have Geniepoint DC chargers that charge £10 overstay fee after 90mins but again that's a DC rapid that you shouldn't be plugged into all day anyway.

Having EV charges on the park makes sense to me. Although I thought that there was already a destination charger on site I remember looking at a map and seeing one listed at Alton Towers did that never get actually implemented until now or am I just mis remembering?

I agree that EV chargers are sensible to have on site now especially given its rural location.

I would disagree however if the cost of these are being passed on to the car parking charges. The people using the EV chargers should be paying towards their installation not those who don’t need to use them.