• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

Hi All,

Not posted for a while! I'm planning on going Friday 29th March with the mrs, I've heard that the "travelling community" is around about Easter, but is that just the Sunday? I know when they are there AT classes it as a "Family-Friendly" day so they dont serve booze anywhere and have ramped up security. We mostly go for the drinking locations and then stumble onto the rides, but will go another time if its gonna be a liquor-free-Friday!
Cheers
Generally the Family Friendly days are just Sundays I believe. I have only ever experienced them on Sundays anyway.

Last edited:
Merlin management have referenced a change in approach in terms of tickets and managing capacities across their attractions in the last year or so.

Just because a date at Towers is showing as ‘sold out’ doesn’t automatically mean they have sold 20 odd thousand tickets.

The ticket availability could well be lower, meaning a 5pm close is deemed suitable as there will be less guests in the park than would previously be envisioned as a ‘sell out’.

At the start of the season they will still be embedding the rides and still ramping up the seasonal staff in terms of numbers and training. They could have decided to start off with a lower number of guests (but with a higher ticket price) to ensure they can provide the level of service they want.

Merlin management have referenced a change in approach in terms of tickets and managing capacities across their attractions in the last year or so.

Just because a date at Towers is showing as ‘sold out’ doesn’t automatically mean they have sold 20 odd thousand tickets.

The ticket availability could well be lower, meaning a 5pm close is deemed suitable as there will be less guests in the park than would previously be envisioned as a ‘sell out’.

At the start of the season they will still be embedding the rides and still ramping up the seasonal staff in terms of numbers and training. They could have decided to start off with a lower number of guests (but with a higher ticket price) to ensure they can provide the level of service they want.
That's my feeling about this weekend - I think they have purposely reduced numbers on both days for these reasons and for guest comfort too.

If you choose to operate how you want and disregard customer satisfaction then you won’t have a business
There's nothing I've seen to suggest that a 5pm close on Sunday will damage customer satisfaction. It's a Sunday, a lot of people will have a long drive home and and work/school the next day, chances are the park will be empty by 5pm anyway. Also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Sunday visitors this weekend are passholders also going on the Saturday so may not be planning to stay until park close anyway.

The park will make decisions about opening hours based on business sense. If they don't think they'll benefit from the additional hour why use it?

If you are in a position where you have already sold out on admissions for the day...I think your business might be doing quite well, ignoring the odd moodie thoosie whose opinion doesn't really affect overall trade.
Does that mean no one on here will ever mention 4pm closes again if that’s the case

Show me anyone on here who has ever been to a sell out 4pm closure.
Doesn’t need to be sell out people aren’t happy with 4pm closures and it’s been made quite obvious on here but you’ve just said us enthusiasts viewpoints don’t really matter

Not defending a 5pm close (it should be 6pm at a minimum), but it is worth remembering that the parks capacity fluctuates and changes somewhat depending on advance ride closures. So when you take into account that Hex isn't ready, maybe Skyride being down for another season, then the overall limit will have changed. Not by a huge amount though.

Just had this email come through about the weekend:

Dear Steve

As a valued Passholder, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Alton Towers Resort this weekend for the start of the 2024 season and the eagerly anticipated debut of Nemesis Reborn!

Our teams have been diligently preparing for what promises to be an exceptionally busy, sold-out weekend. Despite the typical teething challenges that come with reopening the park, we assure you that our dedicated staff will promptly address any issues to minimise inconvenience.

At Alton Towers Resort, our aim is to deliver exceptional experiences for our guests, surpassing your expectations with every visit. Recognising that this weekend may not suit everyone's preferences due to high demand, we're offering you the flexibility to reschedule your booking to another day, free of charge.

To reschedule, simply login to the pre-book portal, cancel your existing pre-book and re-book for another date. If you encounter any issues or have specific inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us below.

For those still planning to visit, we've compiled some top tips to enhance your experience during busy days:

- Utilise the free Alton Towers Resort App for ride wait times and park navigation.
- Plan your route in advance to maximize your time.
- Consider dining during off-peak hours to avoid crowds.
- Enjoy live entertainment throughout the Resort to complement your theme park experience.

We are also excited to be delivering our first Alton After Dark experience, aimed at ensuring you have the opportunity to experience as many attractions as possible into the evening.

Your satisfaction and enjoyment remain our top priorities, and we are dedicated to ensuring your visit to Alton Towers Resort is nothing short of extraordinary! While we aim to provide a seamless experience, we kindly request your cooperation in treating fellow guests and our colleagues with respect and courtesy throughout your visit.

In the unlikely event of any significant operational issues that may arise, our dedicated teams will be readily available to ensure your visit is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Thank you for your continued support and we can't wait to welcome you back to Alton Towers Resort this weekend!

A nice touch - don't know if this is new this year and part of the better communications and transparency we're seeing or not? Either way, its a shame they have to gently remind people to behave themselves towards others and staff.

Yeah, I had that too. It's good that they're forewarning people that it's going to be horrendously busy and are allowing them to book another day instead. Basically, if you're not interested in the hype around the actual opening of Nemesis Reborn (or just a general AT fan-person), don't bother going. Unless you like waiting in massive queues all day :tearsofjoy: