• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Some images from above. Despite the fact it was 95 per cent glorious weather today, I stupidly opted to fly in the 5 per cent crappy conditions as it started to rain. As always, done with VLOS and height restrictions etc etc. If shared outside TS please give appropriate credit.

DJI_0595.jpg

DJI_0599.jpg

DJI_0601.jpg

DJI_0603.jpg

DJI_0605.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0607.jpg
    DJI_0607.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
I think it'll actually look worse when the pre-existing track is painted. The new track is gloss whereas the old track is matte, so it'll still contrast.

Having seen it in person today, I'm not a fan. As has been said, it does look cheap and slightly fairground-y in my opinion. Alas, it clearly isn't going to change and regardless, it'll still be the best coaster in the UK. Plus I'm sure it'll look great at night with a cracking lighting package. I just want to get back on the damn thing ASAP. Not having the daily Nemesis ride on a Towers visit is just bizarre.

Some images from above. Despite the fact it was 95 per cent glorious weather today, I stupidly opted to fly in the 5 per cent crappy conditions as it started to rain. As always, done with VLOS and height restrictions etc etc. If shared outside TS please give appropriate credit.

DJI_0595.jpg

DJI_0599.jpg

DJI_0601.jpg

DJI_0603.jpg

DJI_0605.jpg

I see you’ve been making friends on Twitter with these photos 😂

It was great to see the track in person today, I wasn’t expecting them to have made this much progress so early in the season.

I think from a distance it is going to look fine, but close up the vein paintwork does look a bit tacky. I’d rather that than it be just black supports and black track though.

The observation platform is pretty pointless at the moment, but will be great once they start erecting track on that side of the site!

Now given how the Merlin PR team often get things wrong, I'm pretty much certain this is just badly worded and should've read "...track replaced with a new colour design...", but what if what they have written is correct? Could we see different parts of the track in sublety different colours, or could there be more technological things being done to change its colour eg with lights, LEDs, screens etc?

From: https://twitter.com/MerlinEntsNews/status/1652015934133944338?s=20

Never ceases to amaze me how on a site like Nemesis they install track from separate directions and get it to meet within a clearance of a fraction of an inch (I know they had one hell of a time forcing and bending the last price of The Smiler to fit in which explains a lot).

As this is a B and M, I know this will be superbly engineered and super precise, but presumably even a tiny misalignment somewhere on the layout, or several tiny misalignments would add up to huge deviation over the full layout.

Does anyone know how they install each piece so precicely, and If the answer is GPS, how did they do it in 1994?

Couple of years ago, I installed a new garden fence running in a largely straight line covering perhaps 40 feet with a gentle, but consistent gradient, and it looked like Frank Spencer had built it by the time I finished (and still does).

The design and installation people are very clever.

But how do they get it so precise?

Who is doing the actual assembly ? RCS or someone similar ?
I know that TG Cruise were involved in a number of Merlin projects in the past, but there have been mumblings on these forums that they weren't used again (for example on Wickerman), due to groundwork issues with The Smiler ( though to be fair, I don't know how true these rumours are, not to mention they had an awful wet winter during The Smiler Construction that would have challenged Isambard Kingdom Brunel.himself).

Now given how the Merlin PR team often get things wrong, I'm pretty much certain this is just badly worded and should've read "...track replaced with a new colour design...", but what if what they have written is correct? Could we see different parts of the track in sublety different colours, or could there be more technological things being done to change its colour eg with lights, LEDs, screens etc?

From: https://twitter.com/MerlinEntsNews/status/1652015934133944338?s=20

@Matt N called it with his glow in the dark theory. Could be on to something.

I believe TG Cruise are no long functioning or at least functioning as they were. Either way, wouldn't trust them to put up a fence, let alone another coaster.

Total Stations with a 5 second accuracy were easily available and cheap enough in the early 90s. 5 seconds being equivalent to 0.0014 degrees. There had been 1 second theodolites for about 60 years by that point too, or 0.0003 degree accurate units.

My job is to look after such units and certain big projects are even more accurate now with accuracies better than 0.000139 degrees and with the assistance of GPS technology, it can be really accurate whilst being quick.

I'll stop being a massive geek now.

I believe TG Cruise are no long functioning or at least functioning as they were. Either way, wouldn't trust them to put up a fence, let alone another coaster.

Total Stations with a 5 second accuracy were easily available and cheap enough in the early 90s. 5 seconds being equivalent to 0.0014 degrees. There had been 1 second theodolites for about 60 years by that point too, or 0.0003 degree accurate units.

My job is to look after such units and certain big projects are even more accurate now with accuracies better than 0.000139 degrees and with the assistance of GPS technology, it can be really accurate whilst being quick.

I'll stop being a massive geek now.
Thank you. I find this level of accuracy mind-blowing.

Thank you. I find this level of accuracy mind-blowing.

I almost find it less mind boggling nowadays than the “olden days” when people were blowing stuff up left right and centre to build motorways and dams and so on without computer aided design and mapping to get everything in the right place.

Not to take away from the accuracy of the surveyors and civil engineers who have plotted things like this to the precision of a hair width as part of their day to day job however; I gave up on mechanical engineering at uni because I couldn’t be doing with the maths.

I do wonder what they'll do regarding the Nemesis beast in the middle of all this, any theories so far what might happen to the monster in these upcoming Phalanx themed updates?

Would actually be helpful for the GP who perhaps all this time that, ashamed I'm to admit myself back before I knew the lore, that no one seemed to realised that the big fleshy thing in the middle of the ride was the alien monster itself. Maybe here this'll give them a chance to make the monster more noticeable that perhaps in a way it wasn't before?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.