• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Mostly only nerds will understand the "Phalanx" nonsense references. There was every opportunity to just close it as a creepy discovered alien pit and reopen it in 2024 with whatever creative guff the marketing team could muster. No one but people like us understand the relevance to "Phalanx", this seems like a partial retheme dating from the opening of NST to the reopening.

There doesn't need to be some silly over elaborate back story. It's a big hole, with a great and iconic inverted coaster sitting within it, centered around a giant monster, surrounded by creepy worship stones and blokes wearing hoods worshipping it. It came to the surface to "feed" and was discovered during "routine excavations" and was later pinned down. It's an alien horror theme that was created to excuse why an unusually shaped B&M invert was in a giant rock pit. Nothing to do with tanks and machine guns, that guff was mostly added later.

This "Phalanx" stuff is a choice and it worries me that this is a crappy retheme of an historic and iconic attraction via the back door.
Exactly - retheme the monster make it the centrepiece and kids and future generations will understand the ride - it deserves the best attention - it definitely should not be the ride people walk past to go on bloody Galactica

Why must everyone ride nowadays NEED to have a heavy narrative?? Can't it just look creepy or cool with a little backstory in a hunch-like manner?
I'd argue that theme parks, when they focus on theming, are all about world-building and immersion, are they not? The way I see it is that any narrative or little details put into a ride help to immerse you further into that imaginary world, so are almost always desirable and improve the experience.
Before we start getting ahead of ourselves, it's been stated many times that there will be no thematic changes.
For what it's worth, John also said that there were to be "a few surprises" when the ride reopened in 2024 in that R5 interview. I'm aware that the application said that there would be no major theming items added, but that doesn't stop them adding a few extra details to the queue and such.

Going back to what others what others were speculating on earlier about the colour, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a change in track colour is on the cards as part of the work that will be done.

The park are spending a lot of money on this retrack and presumably they’d want to give things a bit of a refresh visually as well as to show this. If the ride opened up again in 2024 with the same kind of paint job on the track as it has now a lot of the public might be confused as to why it’s already gone “rusty” looking or wondering why it looks exactly the same after being closed for a year.

I could see the park painting the track red and having trains with the same kind of LED lights that Monster at Grona Lund has.
Not logged in on here for about 9 years!

Just reset my password to say i doubt they will get LEDs on Nemesis - Grona Lund operates every night with the lights on whereas with Nemesis they would get used for about 20 nights a year.

See you in 2031!

I'd argue that theme parks, when they focus on theming, are all about world-building and immersion, are they not? The way I see it is that any narrative or little details put into a ride help to immerse you further into that imaginary world, so are almost always desirable and improve the experience.
It makes sense in america since many of theme theme parks there have characters from films, but in the UK its a bit different outside of a few exceptions such as Mythica. Its the lack of knowing a rides narrative is what makes them so encapsulating and great. They can be molded by the guests to whatever they think of.

Exactly - retheme the monster make it the centrepiece and kids and future generations will understand the ride - it deserves the best attention - it definitely should not be the ride people walk past to go on bloody Galactica
But they don't walk past it go on galactica, that's simply not the case. They go on it twice and ride galactica once.

For what it's worth, John also said that there were to be "a few surprises" when the ride reopened in 2024 in that R5 interview. I'm aware that the application said that there would be no major theming items added, but that doesn't stop them adding a few extra details to the queue and such.
Yes what are the two most successful areas of parks in the world - Hagrids and RofTR in epically themed areas - should we not desire that for own parks - not only for our own experience but also to attract external visitors and future revenue

To be serious, how is Forbidden Valley outdated? Its a simple, yet scary concept of a creature beyond human comprehension in the ground followed by a unique theme of purely flying with no origin. That's why it's called forbidden valley, there's so little known about the ride and the themes that it's considered dangerous.

Last edited:
It makes sense in america since many of theme theme parks there have characters from films, but in the UK its a bit different outside of a few exceptions such as Mythica. Its the lack of knowing a rides narrative is what makes them so encapsulating and great. They can be molded by the guests to whatever they think of.
I'd argue that there are many ways in which you can build a clear narrative without necessarily spoon-feeding it to people. For instance, at Europa Park, rides like CanCan Coaster are wonderfully themed and tell a wonderful narrative through the beautifully immersive queue lines jam-packed with detail, and the scenery throughout the ride.

Taking CanCan as an example, that ride doesn't once put a video screen in front of you to physically tell you a story. It doesn't even use boards to tell you a story. But that wonderfully immersive queue line jam packed with details and theming, and the heavy theming of the ride itself, tell an incredibly clear and cohesive narrative in themselves without necessarily needing to physically spoon feed you a backstory. Despite the lack of a video or storyboards, CanCan has an incredibly clear and wonderfully cohesive narrative that's conveyed beautifully, in my opinion; the theming and little details do all the storytelling you need.

It's similar with Wodan; that ride doesn't once stop you to physically tell you a story, but that queue line is so gorgeous, and such a work of art, that it does all the storytelling you possibly need and makes the narrative and theme pretty obvious without explicitly spelling it out to you.

I'm not saying that Europa Park is the level that Towers necessarily need to be shooting for (it would be unfair to compare Towers with Europa because EP is simply on a completely different scale, as well as a totally different type of park), but my point is that giving a ride a clear narrative isn't necessarily done by shoving you in front of a screen and physically telling you a story. The theming can be so, so detailed and wonderful that it tells its own clear story, and I'd argue that it's that kind of storytelling that Nemesis lacks. The monster and pit are impressive, but the ride lacks the little details to take the storytelling to another level.

One season there was a grassy knoll opposite a Schwarzkopf that 2 seasons later became a giant rock pit containing a fantastic B&M invert with "blood" rivers flowing into it, a giant monster of a station and creepy looking worship stones situated on what were once boring clear pathways. I'm not sure what more "theming" and "back story" people want for an intense 40 odd second coaster? Even in its current grimy, run down state, it still impresses the uninitiated.

To be serious, how is Forb Valley outdated? Its a simple, yet scary concept of a creature beyond human comprehension in the ground followed by a unique theme of purely flying with no origin. That's why it's called forbidden valley, there's so little known about the ride and the themes that it's considered dangerous.
I know people that work in X sector but they don't really tell you what they do. You drive past it and it's surrounded by a barbed wire fence, all looks a bit sinister.

Oh I just had a closer look and there is some absolutely mental rollercoaster there now with an annoying theme tune

I know people that work in X sector but they don't really tell you what they do. You drive past it and it's surrounded by a barbed wire fence, all looks a bit sinister.

Oh I just had a closer look and there is some absolutely mental rollercoaster there now with an annoying theme tune
Smiler has a great concept, but it just wasn't executed properly. Gotta give kudos to the designers of it as they tried to make it really thematically appropriate for X Sector. If they keep the creep feel of it the same but tone the theming ever so slightly down and add more subtle theming, it would be a perfect fit to X Sector!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.