• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
TBH regarding the VR thing, it was just after Smiler crash and the park saw it's budget slashed for the following season and needed something as an easy stop gap and VR seemed like something easy to do on paper but in practice...umm.

Let's be honest, even if Air was never changed you'd still have no VR anyway like now so nothing really changes. If Air was to return they'd have to go all out and bring back the Oasis theme but I know that would make it look even more out of place unless they decide to build a big wall to split FV in two (Yeah, Merlin does a Trump) in which Air has its own themed area and if you want, expand to that car park for extending this new themed area.

The Oasis theme actually is a rather good idea if they were aiming for a Ying Yang thing with JW wanting Air to have a 'hero' Theme and this would have made that point far more cleaer. That said, it and Nemesis though would need two separate areas to make it work and that does mean splitting FV in half I'm afraid to say.

In fairness, I was quite glad to see the back of the VR as well. In their defence, I actually quite liked the VR the first time round, but I did it again the year after and had totally gone off it... the VR experience, for me at least, was a quirky novelty for the first go, but one that had little re-ride value.

VR was (briefly) popular, in fairness; I know many who thought it was cool!

However, I'd argue that Galactica doesn't fit with the area any less than Air did. It admittedly didn't improve things, but I don't think it made them worse either; Galactica, for me, kept FV in cohesive homeostasis rather than improving its cohesion or making it less cohesive.
It was an expensive mistake to make. They could have spent the cash dare I say it, theming the tunnel for example... Might just be me but I think technology like that, TV screens, virtual reality, "fancy" motion simulators should be kept away from a theme park but even more so a Rollercoaster. You can't substitute say the thrill of Oblivions drop or the Helix on Nemesis with technology.

Wickerman is the perfect ride where they got the theming and ride absolutely nailed on. But it does annoy me when people say their other coasters aren't themed or they don't have pieces of theming on or around the ride when Nemesis is basically a huge monster. People need to look at the bigger picture instead of moaning a queue line has no television

What I mean is that I see no other way for them to do it. It just made the most sense. I hardly think they are spoiling the story by doing that. I just don't think they could've closed it without adding another chapter to the story so to speak. I'd like to see the old theming elements come back (especially the red water falls but I just think that's impractical)

Galactica gets a bigger queue because it's goes through less people an hour. My parents love the ride and it's there favourite despite the fact that you say it the theme doesn't make sense. It's not meant to make sense. People like mystery, not the story told to them on a plate.
THANK YOU

What I mean is that I see no other way for them to do it. It just made the most sense. I hardly think they are spoiling the story by doing that. I just don't think they could've closed it without adding another chapter to the story so to speak. I'd like to see the old theming elements come back (especially the red water falls but I just think that's impractical)

Galactica gets a bigger queue because it's goes through less people an hour. My parents love the ride and it's there favourite despite the fact that you say it the theme doesn't make sense. It's not meant to make sense. People like mystery, not the story told to them on a plate.
There is loads of room for improvement, it's 30 years old - that's a good thing - Merlin can have a good time keeping the enthusiasts happy and selling a story to the GP, which will be great for marketing

It was an expensive mistake to make. They could have spent the cash dare I say it, theming the tunnel for example... Might just be me but I think technology like that, TV screens, virtual reality, "fancy" motion simulators should be kept away from a theme park but even more so a Rollercoaster. You can't substitute say the thrill of Oblivions drop or the Helix on Nemesis with technology.

Wickerman is the perfect ride where they got the theming and ride absolutely nailed on. But it does annoy me when people say their other coasters aren't themed or they don't have pieces of theming on or around the ride when Nemesis is basically a huge monster. People need to look at the bigger picture instead of moaning a queue line has no television
You literally cant see its a big monster though because of the sight lines

Going back to what others what others were speculating on earlier about the colour, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a change in track colour is on the cards as part of the work that will be done.

The park are spending a lot of money on this retrack and presumably they’d want to give things a bit of a refresh visually as well as to show this. If the ride opened up again in 2024 with the same kind of paint job on the track as it has now a lot of the public might be confused as to why it’s already gone “rusty” looking or wondering why it looks exactly the same after being closed for a year.

I could see the park painting the track red and having trains with the same kind of LED lights that Monster at Grona Lund has.

What I mean is that I see no other way for them to do it. It just made the most sense. I hardly think they are spoiling the story by doing that. I just don't think they could've closed it without adding another chapter to the story so to speak.

Mostly only nerds will understand the "Phalanx" nonsense references. There was every opportunity to just close it as a creepy discovered alien pit and reopen it in 2024 with whatever creative guff the marketing team could muster. No one but people like us understand the relevance to "Phalanx", this seems like a partial retheme dating from the opening of NST to the reopening.

There doesn't need to be some silly over elaborate back story. It's a big hole, with a great and iconic inverted coaster sitting within it, centered around a giant monster, surrounded by creepy worship stones and blokes wearing hoods worshipping it. It came to the surface to "feed" and was discovered during "routine excavations" and was later pinned down. It's an alien horror theme that was created to excuse why an unusually shaped B&M invert was in a giant rock pit. Nothing to do with tanks and machine guns, that guff was mostly added later.

This "Phalanx" stuff is a choice and it worries me that this is a crappy retheme of an historic and iconic attraction via the back door.

I'm not denying that Nemesis' monster and pit are impressive. However, I do think there is quite a bit of scope for some more theming and expanded storytelling on Nemesis. As I said, Nemesis doesn't appear to have any theming aside from the monster itself, in its present form at least. I also don't think it has an overly well conveyed story for the first time rider in its present form.

Compared to something like Wicker Man, where you have the big 60ft structure, the pre-show, the fire and the smoke filled tunnels, as well as all the little details like the wicker structures, banners, rune charts, signs etc strewn through the queue line and area, Nemesis does feel to me like it lacks that extra something to make it a properly themed ride with a well conveyed story. I'd even argue that 1 or 2 of the others at Alton Towers, and certainly some of the rides at Thorpe Park, have more strongly conveyed themes than Nemesis in its present form.

Mostly only nerds will understand the "Phalanx" nonsense references. There was every opportunity to just close it as a creepy discovered alien pit and reopen it in 2024 with whatever creative guff the marketing team could muster. No one but people like us understand the relevance to "Phalanx", this seems like a partial retheme dating from the opening of NST to the reopening.

There doesn't need to be some silly over elaborate back story. It's a big hole, with a great and iconic inverted coaster sitting within it, centered around a giant monster, surrounded by creepy worship stones and blokes wearing hoods worshipping it. It came to the surface to "feed" and was discovered during "routine excavations" and was later pinned down. It's an alien horror theme that was created to excuse why an unusually shaped B&M invert was in a giant rock pit. Nothing to do with tanks and machine guns, that guff was mostly added later.

This "Phalanx" stuff is a choice and it worries me that this is a crappy retheme of an historic and historic attraction via the back door.
I agree in the sense that I don't really see the need for the name phalanx or anything in specific, in fact I think it might've been better if it had been closed by completely mysterious people, without a name or identity. But I don't think this is the worse way to go about it.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.