• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Isn't Air essentially still here, for all intents and purposes? If you don't mind me asking, what do you think that Galactica materially changed about the ride experience aside from the short-lived VR?
Stupid name and stupid station videos. Oh and that silly bit of theming as you go up the lift hill. Air is a prime example of 21st century technology being an absolute disaster

So apparently the paramilitary forces associated with Sub Terra (a closed ride that very few people care about), who go around with guns and tanks now have a helicopter and a guy with a moustache?

What a disrespectful way to crap all over the parks most iconic coaster on it's closing day. If I was John, I'd be busy weeing in that bath that @Log Flume's Dennis caught him in. It's like Towers and all the army guys with guns have unzipped their boiler suits and staring urinating in the former rivers of blood.

I just can't see that lady with a microphone banging on about some "Phalanx investigation" with that awesome iconic sound track playing in the back ground and not feel like this genuinely is the end of an era.

I can only hope that this is all just silly marketing ploys and that Nemesis will return in it's full glory in 2024 without tanks, boiler suits, "red" painted track and a new "Sci-Fi" theme as others have suggested. But seeing all this nonsense I'm loosing hope.
They have always had military forces in play, The original story of nemesis was meant to be that the nemesis creature emerged with tentacles all over the place and the phalanx were brought in to pin down those tentacles, forming the track that you ride along. The phalanx were then forgotten about until Nemesis sub-terror where they we reintroduces to form the egg storyline, They were then reused again for the sub-species scare maze in 2015 that ran until 2019 and then only 3 years later have they been reintroduced. They have been in the park for a long time, they are nothing new. Hope that makes sense.

That's kind of my point - up by the guns there is an alien but the queue line literally just feels like you are going down some steps and into a station with little to no theming - it can be improved
By doing what? I certainly don't think they should add a pre-show. I think the one things that should be done is maybe some lasers, lots of smoke and some new speakers, blasting out the fantastic theme tune to the whole queue.

Isn't Air essentially still alive? If you don't mind me asking, what do you think that Galactica materially changed about the ride experience aside from the short-lived VR?
Unique concept attempted as air, Merlin could've expanded on it and add more theming to the ride, but decided with a generic Sci fi space theme instead
also @RIPCorky how much am I missing out when it was The Haunted House? Only manage to do it as Duel.

Regarding Nemesis' TBF, it could do with a minor tweak here and there but I'd like to see the pit bare again so you can at least get a better view of the beast and I'm not talking about the view you get of the beast as the brake run goes up its a*** which is something I can't quite unsee but then again that was a Tussauds oversight perhaps. A bigger Nemesis monster twice the size looking like a truly terrifying sight would be awesome to see in which could cover up the bare break run and maintenance shed better.

The Tom Baker audio story added while you're queuing could be a simple little thing to add for those who want to follow a story for the ride at least though that might be an unpopular opinion to some on here.

By doing what? I certainly don't think they should add a pre-show. I think the one things that should be done is maybe some lasers, lots of smoke and some new speakers, blasting out the fantastic theme tune to the whole queue.
For example - cover the lower queue line - have hanging vines like you are going into a different world - have screens in the station (good ones) that can immerse into why you are being launched into space to fight/save the creature - no pre shows more like Baron ghosts

Stupid name and stupid station videos. Oh and that silly bit of theming as you go up the lift hill. Air is a prime example of 21st century technology being an absolute disaster
Unique concept attempted as air, Merlin could've expanded on it and add more theming to the ride, but decided with a generic Sci fi space theme instead
also @RIPCorky how much am I missing out when it was The Haunted House? Only manage to do it as Duel.
In terms of the actual ride experience, though; isn't it mostly the same? Air was never a ride that relied heavily on theming, so I'll admit that I'm surprised that some feel that Galactica ruined it so much.

I could be looking at it too simplistically, and I totally get that, but to me, Air was a cyan flying coaster that rolled about a few times, hopped over some grass verges and flew through a few tunnels, and Galactica is still a cyan flying coaster that rolls about a few times, hops over some grass verges and flies through a few tunnels. Very little has materially changed about it, and while I apologise in advance as I know I'm going to get flamed for it... I think the few minor things that Galactica did change were mostly positives. I like the portal, I love the soundtrack, and I like that the Galactica revamp gave it a sense of theme that it never really had as Air. Sure, it's not a thematic masterpiece, but at least Galactica makes some attempt to convey a theme, which Air never did.

I was a lot younger but it was the best dark ride in the country. Sound was pumped up loud, you couldn't hear the ride system, it was dark, the lighting didn't give the props away. The queue line with everything working....it was the 90's.... things were moving, you didn't quite know how, it'll be sorely missed

being launched into space to fight/save the creature
But your not being launched into space, your riding on the tentacle's of the nemesis creature that have gone out to feed. The ride has been chained down by the military (the ride supports) and there are some people who wish to worship the creature.
There's no need for screens, I think that's part of the rides charm. I have no problem with them playing bits of the story in the queue, but I'd rather they tended to stick to the theme tune.

I was a lot younger but it was the best dark ride in the country. Sound was pumped up loud, you couldn't hear the ride system, it was dark, the lighting didn't give the props away. The queue line with everything working....it was the 90's.... things were moving, you didn't quite know how, it'll be sorely missed
Stop making me sad XD

Back to Nemesis, at least they could not heavily add Phalanx to it and retain its 'less is more' theming concept to it.

In terms of the actual ride experience, though; isn't it mostly the same? Air was never a ride that relied heavily on theming, so I'll admit that I'm surprised that some feel that Galactica ruined it so much.

I could be looking at it too simplistically, and I totally get that, but to me, Air was a cyan flying coaster that rolled about a few times, hopped over some grass verges and flew through a few tunnels, and Galactica is still a cyan flying coaster that rolls about a few times, hops over some grass verges and flies through a few tunnels. Very little has materially changed about it, and while I apologise in advance as I know I'm going to get flamed for it... I think the few minor things that Galactica did change were mostly positives. I like the portal, I love the soundtrack, and I like that the Galactica revamp gave it a sense of theme that it never really had as Air. Sure, it's not a thematic masterpiece, but at least Galactica makes some attempt to convey a theme, which Air never did.
Air was a weak theme, well the theme didn't fit with forbidden valley anyway, Alton Towers being Alton Towers took that weak theme and decided to change it to something that didn't fit even more so than the original. VR was a fad, gives people headaches and motion sickness, what idiot decided to plant it on a rollercoaster???

But your not being launched into space, your riding on the tentacle's of the nemesis creature that have gone out to feed. The ride has been chained down by the military (the ride supports) and there are some people who wish to worship the creature.
There's no need for screens, I think that's part of the rides charm. I have no problem with them playing bits of the story in the queue, but I'd rather they tended to stick to the theme tune.
I'm just a GP that visits with 12 year olds - the lore only makes sense to people who know the story - to make it a great ride for the future I "feel" it needs to explained better - the general queue times on quieter days say Nemesis needs a retheme of some sort as Galactica can get bigger queues and its so much less of a ride - that's obviously due to throughputs and operations

Air was a weak theme, well the theme didn't fit with forbidden valley anyway, Alton Towers being Alton Towers took that weak theme and decided to change it to something that didn't fit even more so than the original. VR was a fad, gives people headaches and motion sickness, what idiot decided to plant it on a rollercoaster???
Some non passionate Business man that saw VR as Trending on his Twitter XD.

In fairness, I was quite glad to see the back of the VR as well. In their defence, I actually quite liked the VR the first time round, but I did it again the year after and had totally gone off it... the VR experience, for me at least, was a quirky novelty for the first go, but one that had little re-ride value.

VR was (briefly) popular, in fairness; I know many who thought it was cool!

However, I'd argue that Galactica doesn't fit with the area any less than Air did. It admittedly didn't improve things, but I don't think it made them worse either; Galactica, for me, kept FV in cohesive homeostasis rather than improving its cohesion or making it less cohesive.

I'm actually going to slightly disagreee with you here. In the original nemesis story there was a military force who's job it was to control the nemesis creature a pin it to the grown with steel (the supports), the phalanax are a military branch who are closing off the area to worshippers (riders) as there seems to be a problem. I imagine next year they'll have some sort of phanax takeover by nemesis worshippers and forced to reopen the area. It seems the only logical way to do it.
Oh and they better not change the soundtrack, that I do agree with, it's great and if they try and change it they will just ruin it.

In the "Nemesis story" aka an obscure comic released for marketing reasons that did what all comics do and tried to elaborate on the story? I was there in 1994 when the top of the Thunder Looper granted an excellent view of Nemesis. There were no boiler suits, no tanks, no helicopters and no posh talking blokes with moustaches. There were rivers of blood, a big monster, some large rocks that sparked images of people in hooded gowns taking part in cult worship like out of the adverts and the Beast in the back ground.

Last edited:
Regarding Nemesis' TBF, it could do with a minor tweak here and there but I'd like to see the pit bare again so you can at least get a better view of the beast and I'm not talking about the view you get of the beast as the brake run goes up its a*** which is something I can't quite unsee but then again that was a Tussauds oversight perhaps. A bigger Nemesis monster twice the size looking like a truly terrifying sight would be awesome to see in which could cover up the bare break run and maintenance shed better.

The Tom Baker audio story added while you're queuing could be a simple little thing to add for those who want to follow a story for the ride at least though that might be an unpopular opinion to some on here.
This is pretty much what I am saying - male the monster the key part of the theming - for me it just blends in - like I said I laterally only realised the monster was tied down two weeks ago as the RAP queue was so long I was under the chains for the first time

In the "Nemesis story" aka an obscure comic released for marketing reasons that did what all comics do and tried to elaborate in the story. I was there in 1994 when the top of the Thunder Looper granted an excellent view of Nemesis. There were no boiler suits, no tanks, no helicopters. There were rivers of blood, a big monster, some large rocks that sparked images of people in hooded gowns taking part in cult worship like out of the adverts and the Beast in the back ground.
What I mean is that I see no other way for them to do it. It just made the most sense. I hardly think they are spoiling the story by doing that. I just don't think they could've closed it without adding another chapter to the story so to speak. I'd like to see the old theming elements come back (especially the red water falls but I just think that's impractical)
I'm just a GP that visits with 12 year olds - the lore only makes sense to people who know the story - to make it a great ride for the future I "feel" it needs to explained better - the general queue times on quieter days say Nemesis needs a retheme of some sort as Galactica can get bigger queues and its so much less of a ride - that's obviously due to throughputs and operations
Galactica gets a bigger queue because it's goes through less people an hour. My parents love the ride and it's there favourite despite the fact that you say it the theme doesn't make sense. It's not meant to make sense. People like mystery, not the story told to them on a plate.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.