• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Those umbrellas are hilarious. Really looks like RCT1 🤣🤣
Was literally about to post the same thing haha.

Personally I'm well up for some big changes with Nemesis. The ride track will still be there and that's the main thing. A new colour scheme would be good, and maybe some other themeing updates to fit the current Phalanx story.

One thing I really hope they do not touch is the music. Imagine walking into Forbidden Valley and not hearing that? Do not let IMAScore or any of them other wallys anywhere near it please.

Hope they keep the 'Worlds most intense ride experience' sign too.

As much as Nemesis needed this work doing, Alton were unlikely to really secure funding purely based on that fact. They have likely needed to show they can increase visitation and improve guest KPIs off the back of the work being done - you're not really going to be able to get that purely off a retrack. Based on the level of marketing we've already seen, it's almost certain we'll see a fairly substantial backstory and publicity being done over the coming year or so. Pretty exciting stuff!
I feel like that would be true for (almost) any other ride, but for Nemesis I am not so sure. As much as you have to ensure KPIs and visitation improve over time, you also have to make sure they don't drop through inaction.

It was never going to cost as much, but they've done significant work on some of the other rides in RTP. Magic Mountain got re-tracked, for example.

Exciting yes, so why waste the potential for a great revamp with this naff Phalanx theme?

Could anyone explain to me what makes the Phalanx theme entertaining? I did Sub Terra, the most entertaining parts werent the Phalanx stuff. Neither is a moustache dude in a suit doing some A level drama "Evil politician" overacting.

Phalanx doesn’t really change the theme very much in all honesty. The original theme was a post apocalyptic landscape with a giant alien that had been investigated and pinned down securely to contain it. Most of that theme wasn’t directly communicated to the guest but it was the story board Wardley created to help guide the design team. There was also the early cult but that wasn’t meant to be something happening in the current day, but explains the standing stones in the design of the area.

Towers then took some inspiration from some of this early concept work to create sub-terra and just gave the organisation a name and logo from a piece of early merchandise. It adds something to the theme and doesn’t really take anything away as you still have a big monster being pinned down by metal in a post apocalyptic landscape.

It’s not like they haven’t done this before as they retconned the Ministry of Joy into X-Sector and some of the Oblivion signage.

My personal point of view is the Phalanx stuff is fine, and if we get themed uniforms in x-sector I will be a happy bunny as I hate the current generic Towers uniform.

Im going to be optimistic and hope the coaster isnt being retracked to tell the thrilling story of lead scientist Kate Cogs and evil new CEO John Dalton.
Knowing how Towers like to hide teasers (sometimes in plain sight), trying to see words in John Dalton (if correct spelling). So far just Doh Alton 🤣

Knowing how Towers like to hide things (sometimes in plain sight), trying to see words in John Dalton (if correct spelling). So far just Doh Alton 🤣

John Dalton is a famous chemist from the University of Manchester. He came up with atomic theory - that is, that everything is made of atoms. He even has a unit of mass named after him!

John Dalton is a famous chemist from the University of Manchester. He came up with atomic theory - that is, that everything is made of atoms. He even has a unit of mass named after him!
Didn't know that. I wonder then if that name being used is intentional?

Also quite a boring theme, in fact exactly the same theme with a different name and logo. In the whole world of possibilities with theme parks, I dont really think a park full of secret organisations is what guests flock to Alton Towers for. Thank goodness for Phantasialand where they really know how to do coaster themes.

The history of the SW themes is quite interesting really as Oblivions theme was originally planned for the project that became Nemesis but was dropped and the Alien theme developed instead. When they then designed Oblivion the secret weapon theme was reestablished.

You also have to bear in mind that this was all originally done 28 years ago, at that time parks like Phantasia land where doing generic themes such as cowboys/ western and where not really being that creative, it wasn’t until much later that some of the European parks took a massive leap in imaginative theming. Towers have gone back to more imaginative theme ideas with Wickerman which doesn’t have any suspicious secret organisations behind it…

They are not going to completely retheme Nemesis, but bringing in some of this back story will give it a bit of a fun refresh.

You also have to bear in mind that this was all originally done 28 years ago, at that time parks like Phantasia land where doing generic themes such as cowboys/ western and where not really being that creative, it wasn’t until much later that some of the European parks took a massive leap in imaginative theming.
Yes the original Nemesis theme worked well and was very imaginative for its time. It made the most of the landscape and the sat beast in the middle of the ride made for a fun visual. It got a bit worn and in need of revitalising.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that I find the Phalanx stuff slightly confusing and a bit dull, its a cool little nod to the comics but I think as a main focus of a rides theme its better suited to Sub terra than Nemesis itself.
That said, I think last night looked like a fantastic event and the Phalanx stuff worked well in that setting. As others have said I can't see it playing a huge role in the ride that opens in 2024, but feel we might see a fair bit more of it over the next 18 months.

I quite like this Phalanx marketing. It's a clever way to draw up interest throughout 2023 and into 2024.

I cannot see Nemesis having any major thematic changes. It's an established IP. The Phalanx stuff simply creates hype, enhances the story and links with Sub-Terra and Nemesis lore. In 2024 Nemesis will most likely be close to the original, with some themed uniforms, there might be some Phalanx references dotted around but I doubt it will be anything more than that (a bit like Ministry of Joy in XS). Reading the last few (very painful) pages, you would think Intamin are coming to rebuild the ride and it's going to be named Phalanx: John Dalton's Revenge

At this point, the Phalanx is clearly for marketing purposes to create hype. Looking at social media, it's working already!

I just wanted to say, I loved the effort ATR went to last night with the post-fireworks video and then, following walking up to Forbidden Valley, seeing all the things they had quickly done for the last 2 hours of its operation. Fantastic.

The only negative was that they closed the queue way earlier than was necessary. Frankly I was lucky to get a ride - and we joined at 8.05pm.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.