• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Genuine question, as I am not familiar with these things at all, but do the park engage with fan sites such as TS, TT and TPWW etc to ask them to work with them to not 'spoil' surprises?

For example have they ever asked for drone footage not to be released until later dates? Essentially saying "we know we can't legally stop you, but for the benefit of the marketing we are working towards, please don't"?

I can understand them wanting to control the narrative as to what is released when, after all they are the ones spending 10s of millions on the investment, but appreciate they have little control in terms of stopping drone footage,

Last edited:
Genuine question, as I am not familiar with these things at all, but do the park engage with fan sites such as TS, TT and TPWW etc to ask them to work with them to not 'spoil' surprises?

For example have they ever asked for drone footage not to be released until later dates? Essentially saying "we know we can't legally stop you, but for the benefit of the marketing we are working towards, please don't"?

I can understand them wanting to control the narrative as to what is released when, after all they are the ones spending 10's of millions on the investment, but appreciate they have little control in terms of stopping drone footage,
I’m sure some things with the big/popular social media personalities is worked with/embargoed as they all release almost word-for-word exact same posts within about 5 minutes of there being an announcement.

That said if they wanted to keep Nemesis’ features etc under wraps they should have built a giant tent over it instead of an observation platform and not stored the ride components in the public car park. I’d argue that those two actions made it a public thing.

Looks like John Burton wasn't happy with TPW taking drone shots of the rides development.

From: https://twitter.com/CreativeJohnB/status/1753484048058782219?t=RQN4CrH6vulRzcgyHMy9lA&s=19

I mean, I don't really like that people take drone shots. It may be to the letter of the law, but it's not really in the spirit of privacy, on what is entirely private property. Buuuut...

"Disrespecting the artist", "ready to share their work..." come on. Talk about big headed hah.

I mean, I don't really like that people take drone shots. It may be to the letter of the law, but it's not really in the spirit of privacy, on what is entirely private property. Buuuut...

"Disrespecting the artist", "ready to share their work..." come on. Talk about big headed hah.
Actually... no creative on earth really wants their hard work to be broadcast before it's ready to be seen. So I understand it completely.

People work incredibly hard to bring their creations to life and I can see why he’s pissed off when I see comments on YouTube/forums/social media moaning about a lack of legs, speed, colour of track, lack of roar etc for an unfinished attraction! save the negativity until it’s actually finished, then we can critique this art (yes, art!) as much as we like.

The thing is that this is scenic construction in the outdoors, if this was something that could be kept private or confidential, like recordings for a new album, casting for a new movie or rehearsals for a play then that would be understandable.

Yeah whilst theme parks come under the banner of art, their visibility means they come under the same category as skyscrapers or civil engineering projects. The scope and visibility of such undertakings mean people are going to see the process from breaking ground through to completion. If they want to keep things away from people, then they could always wrap it up like they did with the Wicker Man structure.

I'm no fan of Sanbrooke or many of the other YouTubers flying drones nearby. But if you're complaining on Twitter, it clearly shows that you are living within the modern day, and drones are a part of that modern-day whether you like it or not...

It may be outdoors, but it isn't exactly the biggest structure out there, it's only really visible if you get closer to the Nemesis pit. What makes Alton Towers special is their knack for keeping things a secret. The less we know the better.

I'm sorry but John's response is so cringe! It makes him sound really big headed and seems like he is taken credit for other people's work. I stand with TPW over this. Shawn followed all of the correct laws and if John was not happy with it he could have personally reached out to Shawn who I am sure would have been happy to come to a better arrangement. John is the complete opposite of John Wardley. John Burton comes across like he thinks he's the only personal responsible for creating the ideas and making them come to life. It's a team effort and John Wardley was always praising the teams rather than blowing his own trumpet. I say send over more drones just to piss off big head burton.

John is the Creative Lead, that makes him the art director on the project. Like most creative leaders, he wants his team's work to be seen for the first time when it's finished, and I should imagine that the scenic teams working on the project would be thinking the same. John is speaking on behalf of his team.

Twitter has been vile this weekend.

I hate the way everybody has piled on TPWW.
Ok he’s not everybody’s cup of tea and he’s made mistakes in the past but he’s good for the industry. Kids love him, who then probably nag their parents to take them and he goes out of his way to support smaller parks.

What really gets me is the pure hypocrisy. JB didn’t mention the drone, his argument was that his “artwork” had been revealed early. A lot of the people who are piling in on Shawn were, this time last year, standing on a big rock to take images over the big fence of the Mandril Mayhem area as it developed. It’s exactly the same thing!

JB could have handled it differently and privately contacted TPWW if it bothered him that much. It’s nasty seeing this being played out on a very public space especially from such a high profile individual. I personally feel JB has come accross as quite “up himself”.

Lots of jealousy at play here.

(Not gonna go into the drone thing because I don’t know anything about the rules and laws)

Anyway that’s my personal take on it.

Never mind.

BPB must be loving it, it’s took the heat off them.

They’ll be another drama next week.

Just didn’t like the way everybody piled on.

To get back on topic, still not keen on the black and red personally. But really like the idea of the arm/pincer/claw grabbing onto a (fake) support.

Are personal attacks really called for, okay you may not like him for this reason or that. That’s fine, but what good does that do posting it on social media. I’ve met John twice, he’s been very pleasant both times and took time to speak to as many people as he could. People calling him for posting about a content creator online are literally doing the same thing here by calling John on a forum.

Well the creative lead was more than happy to allow cameras on site to broadcast it on the news. Maybe that's because he got to get his big head on TV though... not a fan of Burton at all.
They filmed the rollercoaster, on account of it being finished and it testing.

If they'd gone around the whole site covering the work on and in the station and the wider area that'd be a different matter. But they didn't, because they're not finished.

He should have reached out to TPW privately. TPW are responsible for a lot of the theme parks success due to their channel. It was a bad move on John's part.

TPW has no responsibility in the success of any theme park, it’s just a you tube channel.

I don’t watch Shaun’s channel but he was not breaking any rules and the sanctimonious geeks on Twitter need to grow up, and Merlin need to remind John Burton he represents their brand and encouraging a pile on isn’t exactly a good look.

Ultimately, John is understandably frustrated after working on this for years and is well within his rights to vent about things being spoiled. Similarly, TPWW flying a drone over the site may not have been to everyone's liking (mine included), but once again they're well within their rights to do that. No point getting frustrated with either party - at the end of the day, it's not really any of our business is it? Let's get back to being excited about next month!

It's closed season, so a lot of work that would have been intended as a "surprise" will be happening now.

Over the past few years we've seen a lot of hacks where content is leaked and then poured over meticulously, before the project is finished. John Burton, in this instance, is clearly making a comparison. They built a public viewing platform for the open season, they've released tid bits on social media and engaged in a decent marketing campaign. They've given the content creators, and worked with them, plenty to talk about and analyse.

This is the theme park equivalent of The Sun hanging outside the Doctor Who set, with a zoom lens, snapping bits and publishing photos before we've seen the final product. Borderline legal, morally questionable, done purely for the interests of selling more papers and getting more views.

Sanbrooke asked Alton Towers if he could get access to the site to film testing. He wasn't granted it. He then decided he was going to fly a drone over an active construction site and critically analyse a piece of work which isn't complete. It's very easy to be a critic, especially on the interwebs, we're all doing it now.

There are questions over whether Sanbrooke actually flew his drone within the letter of the law, he'd have had to launch it and land it on public property, and maintained a line of site with it at all times. He definitely shouldn't have flown it across an active construction site. He could have done everything that the CAA require, he could also post the flight logs online if he wanted to show he did everything right there.

John Burton is perfectly entitled to be annoyed about this, he's worked hard on a project. Sanbrooke is perfectly entitled to criticise work which hasn't been completed yet.

Burton, of course, could be talking about something else entirely and we've all gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.