• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The question is, though, will Nemmy 2.0 count as a new credit? :p
Personally, I don't think so, although am I right in thinking Hulk is?

It’s very subjective.

To me personally, it won’t be a new cred (Hulk V2 wasn’t a new cred for me, so Nemesis V2 won’t be either) because I feel that nothing is materially changing about the experience aside from the track. My rationale is; would you say that Nemesis V2 will be a new coaster that opens in 2024 or a hefty refurbishment of a coaster that opened in 1994? I’d go with the latter, therefore these types of retracks aren’t a new credit for me.

However, I could see why some people do.

Boiler suits are bloody hot. Used to use them in my last job and you'd strip down to underwear underneath and you'd still have buckets of sweat pouring off you. Themed uniforms are a great idea but one that warm might be a not great idea

It sounds like the very typical upper management decision for "immersion" without considering how it might affect staff who have to run up and down a ride platform for hours at a time.

I'd hate it too. Though at least fortunately they've been distributed AFTER this ridiculous summer.

Interesting article from The Times regarding Nemesis and an insight into the often discussed non-enthusiast view of the ride.

Also confirmation right at the end that there will be a ballot for the last rides.

A design technology teacher at my secondary school was once tasked with delivering a sex education class. The lesson was coldly pragmatic — sexual organs were discussed in the same tone with which he would have talked about plywood or fibreboard. Intercourse was a carefully calibrated process, rather like earthing a three-pin plug. Then, as the bell rang, the teacher spoke to the boys in their own language: “Believe me, lads, sex is even better than Nemesis at Alton Towers.”

Within this comparison was an important truth. For anyone like me coming of age in the Midlands during the Nineties, riding this rollercoaster was a transformative experience and a rite of passage. It marked a threshold: your voice deepened; you grew hairier; you felt crosswinds of shame and desire gusting in your adolescent soul. You grew tall enough to join the queue and — just maybe — brave enough to buckle up.

Last month Alton Towers announced that Nemesis is to close on November 6. It triggered an outpouring of grief on social media, from parents who had hoped that their children would ride it alongside them one day and couples whose first dates were in its carriages. It was clarified that Nemesis would be closing only temporarily for a revamp and reopening in 2024, but by then the intense public affection for what is regarded as Britain’s greatest rollercoaster had become apparent.

4eb13c9a-4964-11ed-84cd-44cc4c68f778.jpg

“There are people who have an extremely personal attachment,” says its creator, John Wardley, who ranks the rollercoaster as his proudest career achievement and still receives fan mail about it. “Some people felt that if Nemesis closed, a bit of their lives would go too.”

Wardley explains that Nemesis “tore up the rule book” when it opened in March 1994. It was Europe’s first inverted rollercoaster, meaning that those who ride it are suspended below the track with their feet dangling. And where most of its rivals were austere heaps of rail and scaffold, Nemesis came with a backstory like that of a Hollywood blockbuster: an alien monster had crash-landed in rural Staffordshire at some nonspecific point in history, and had been sleeping soundly beneath the log flume and picnic spots until maintenance staff disturbed its slumber and the beast metamorphosed into a 716m-long rollercoaster.

Nemesis was a ride and a landscape; even its loading station was done up like an alien torso (while faintly resembling spare ribs). Around it flowed blood-red rivers — Ribena, according to one online rumour. Operatically silly and sublime, it became an icon of the time. As Oasis vied with Blur in the Battle of Britpop, so Nemesis fought in the Coaster Wars against the likes of Big One, its contemporary at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Nearly 30 years after it was opened, Nemesis is still regarded as a masterpiece of engineering — thanks, in part, to Staffordshire county council. Wardley recalls how the local authority prohibited the rollercoaster from rising above tree level, making it necessary to burrow underground so that the ride could duck through tunnels and trenches; its knot of inversions, corkscrews and dives following each other like artfully strung together plot devices that still keep riders guessing today.

“At no point on Nemesis can you see what’s coming,” says Andy Hine, chairman of the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain. “You’re letting that machine control your destiny.”

Nemesis has long been a part of my life. I first rode it on a school trip at the turn of the millennium — a few frightened classmates pretended to need the loo as we neared the front of the queue, but those of us who braved it were kings of the classroom a day later. Later Nemesis would be a triumphant coda to my GCSEs; then one university reading week was spent lapping up its empty midweek queues.

A decade later I went to Alton Towers with the woman who is now my wife. Time had passed and that old theme park euphoria had diminished — we were no longer so wide-eyed; our knuckles not quite as white. But riding Nemesis was as magnificent as ever — like a dervish, there was an ecstasy in its wild dance.

I’m sad that the dance must draw to a close for now. Fortunately Wardley explains that any changes to the ride will be only “additional touches”; Nemesis is being rebuilt rather than redesigned, and the philosophy will remain the same.

“I want people to feel they have achieved something by riding Nemesis,” he says. “There aren’t many things in everyday life that test what you dare and dare not do.”

“No one has made anything like it before or since,” says Hine. “The ride only lasts a minute and a half, but the memory of it lasts for ever.”

Nemesis closes at the end of the season. A ballot will be held for the last rides (£42; Alton Towers)

Wasn't planning a visit to Towers this year but I'll be there in a heartbeat if I'm one of the winners!

Wonder how many entries they'll get? A few hundred I'd have thought.

Fair play to them for doing this, could have easily charged for it. And it will stop 50 odd people hanging around the entrance at closing time on the final day.

Already signed it! Hope I manage to get in, but it's unlikely. But hey, what else can you do but try?

Being one of Nemmys last riders WITH John Wardley. How can you say no?

This is the direct link

I love that you have to pass a nerdy facts test to enter the competition, just to sort the wheat from the GP chaff...

Have to say I'm a bit confused about the plan for 6th, is the main queue open until ride close or not? Don't care about being on the last train particularly but a night ride on Nemmy after the fireworks is mandatory...

I love that you have to pass a nerdy facts test to enter the competition, just to sort the wheat from the GP chaff...

Have to say I'm a bit confused about the plan for 6th, is the main queue open until ride close or not? Don't care about being on the last train particularly but a night ride on Nemmy after the fireworks is mandatory...
It states in the T&C's that winners have to be able to stay at the park until at least 10:30pm, so the final ride will most likely be sometime after general ride close at 9.

As I'm busy that day and nowhere near Towers, no last ride for me though I did have my last ride back in July so no real shame there.

Anyway, to wind things back regarding the uniforms for Nemesis, I agree that the main rides should have their own uniforms as Smiler, Galactica(?) and Wicker Man have with possibly Duel getting themed staff outfits maybe, likely I'd think Oblivion getting themed staff outfits again would be nice. However I can understand why the Nemesis staff are not fans on the boiler suit outfits as I work with those outfits on a heritage railway and they can be a pain to work with all day, never mind in the height of summer.

These are possibly temporary until they get the actual outfits for 2024, however even though some aren't fans on the Phalanx theme connecting both Nemesis and NST next door, am I only the one who's alright with that? To me it gives more of a united uniform image which for something military related is what you'd do. I'd no doubt that maybe in 2024 if Blade is still there or dare I say a new permanent flat ride on the Ripsaw site to coincide with the reopening, the staff too will all be getting matching outfits?

Either way, themed staff outfits for each area seems to slowly be becoming a thing at Towers which I do welcome.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.