• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Am I right in thinking that all of B&M's recent new coasters have been sand filled? Might be an "as standard" thing now.
Yeah, they do it on all their new installations now. I remember a thing about the locals complaining about Thunder Looper being too loud, but Nemesis?
The things in a huge quarry, how can the locals from Alton hear its howl all the way at the end of the Park, and like I said, A quarry?

I think they'll replace the trains but not with vest trains because as has already been stated there isn't the clearance for that. I imagine if they need to change the pit and supports to add the clearance for these trains we'd now know about it.
This idea that B&M don't make them trains anymore is obviously rubbish, they made similar trains because of clearance for Monster at Gruna Lund and when the re-tracked Hulk they gave it new trains but exactly the same as the originals even though B&M are now putting vests on there standard sit-downs. We only know this because of the clone of hulk being build at universal in china.
They may as well replace the trains as they too are exposed to lots of stress. In the long run it makes sense to replace them now rather than later down the line.

I think they'll replace the trains but not with vest trains because as has already been stated there isn't the clearance for that. I imagine if they need to change the pit and supports to add the clearance for these trains we'd now know about it.
This idea that B&M don't make them trains anymore is obviously rubbish, they made similar trains because of clearance for Monster at Gruna Lund and when the re-tracked Hulk they gave it new trains but exactly the same as the originals even though B&M are now putting vests on there standard sit-downs. We only know this because of the clone of hulk being build at universal in china.
They may as well replace the trains as they too are exposed to lots of stress. In the long run it makes sense to replace them now rather than later down the line.
I dont think they'll need to replace the current trains nemesis has as the tracks width is just as identical as the newer models.

I dont think they'll need to replace the current trains nemesis has as the tracks width is just as identical as the newer models.
I don't think they'll replace them because of the track. I think they'll replace them because they too will eventually wear out. They might as well replace them at the same time. I think the trains will be the same as the current one's just new.

I don't think they'll replace them because of the track. I think they'll replace them because they too will eventually wear out. They might as well replace them at the same time. I think the trains will be the same as the current one's just new.
Yeah, you're right!! Look at Monsters trains, they're identical to The original B&M trains. Thank goodness they're hoepfully not using Banshees trains!!!

Yeah, they do it on all their new installations now. I remember a thing about the locals complaining about Thunder Looper being too loud, but Nemesis?
The things in a huge quarry, how can the locals from Alton hear its howl all the way at the end of the Park, and like I said, A quarry?
True in a way about locals complaining about Thunder Looper, it really did live up to it's name in which it was so loud that cows were giving birth at the wrong time of the year because of the sound and there is the other two facts with it breaking height restrictions and that it being loud would have caused noise problems for guests at the hotel nearby that was just about to open and that is not including the locals.

Either way, with also it's age being that it was second hand, the poor beast was doomed to have a short stay at Towers.

Anyway regarding the roar, I don't personally care about this wee detail as for as long as the ride is not a rough rider then that is perhaps far more important. Plus if you want to make up for the lack of a roar, there is always a way of boosting the music around the ride to help build up the tension which would likely make up for it. I do wonder what minor tweaks will happen?

As said previously they literally cannot use banshee style trains as they are wider. They simply wouldn't fit. If they needed to make the pit bigger to fit these we would now know because of the planning application.
Banshee's trains are heavier too so wouldn't suit the compact layout.

The only thing I am personally not happy about is the sand filling of the track. The classic Nemesis roar will either be reduced or completely gone and that’s heart breaking as its one of my favourite things about Nemesis. Other than that, its amazing.

The only thing I am personally not happy about is the sand filling of the track. The classic Nemesis roar will either be reduced or completely gone and that’s heart breaking as its one of my favourite things about Nemesis. Other than that, its amazing.
Yeah, exactly. I can imagine a slight noise reduction by 15 percent, but with them almost fully filled with sand? That's just taking something special away from the ride, the roar always made you feel like you were going on a monster of a ride before even in your seats thanks to its intimidating howl.

Last edited:
Another thing, if they do replace the trains, I hope they try and theme it like modern incarnations of B&M inverts. They could properly make the train seem like the alien, like in the backstory.

AxFrbDRLZRdVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png

I will really miss the roar especially when it comes down off the lift hill.

As for locals hearing it, I’m sure others will agree with me but I’ve stayed in many a B&B miles away from Alton towers over the years and depending which direction the wind is blowing you can clearly hear nemesis!

People acting like filling the track with sand will result in zero sand.

Could still hear Duelling Dragons, the Busch and Sea World coasters and most of the others that have sand in them.

As someone else said, I'd rather have a sand filled Nemesis than no Nemesis at all.

I really hope they don't mess this up. It's as close to perfect as it is. I love everything about it. the pacing, the intensity, the theme, the audio etc.

Would be a huge huge shame if it's not as wild like a lot of the more modern inverts tend not to be.

Good to see that this has finally been confirmed as happening, it is needed to secure the long term future of Nemesis and I am pleased that Merlin are prepared to fund a major investment that would not generate the return that the same sum spent on a new attraction would.

The sand filling will of course make it quieter, but it will still have a roar. The setting of Nemesis in a pit and diving through tunnels undoubtedly helps generate a roar.

On my hunt for King Ina's rocks, wandering the Churnet valley, the only noise I could hear from within the park was Nemesis.
I could instantly tell it was Nemesis, and I would estimate that I was a good mile away from the ride.
Knowing my directions, I followed the noise to head towards the rocks, and it worked.
I couldn't hear air until I was virtually on top of it!
Valleys tend to act as sound chambers, Nemesis is at the top of the valley, facing the village.

I'd rather have a sand filled Nemesis than no Nemesis at all.

Nemesis as it is now is already sand filled, so there shouldn't be too much difference to the roar.
Interesting that they are adding a support on the helix, does this mean it is being re-profiled? If so I hope it doesn't lose too much of it's intensity.

Not necessarily. There are a lot of forces in that area so an additional support could simply be to allow some of the force to be taken off the existing support(s) and redistributed.

Technology has improved considerably in thirty years so I am sure B&M will have reviewed the stucture and applied up-to-date modelling to make improvements to the high stress areas. I am sure Alton Towers also supplied their own "hit list" of problem supports and footers as well.

As an aside... did anybody else notice "break run" on the plans? It goes without saying there would be a misspelling where Alton Towers are concerned :D

Another thing, if they do replace the trains, I hope they try and theme it like modern incarnations of B&M inverts. They could properly make the train seem like the alien, like in the backstory.

AxFrbDRLZRdVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png
I'd be up for themed trains on Nemesis as shown above, it seems that all past ideas that at first never see the light of day get reused one way or the other.

Having this trains be more 'organic' would ofc seem to hint that the track itself is part of beast and not the supports. Oh no, not this debate again...

Could someone tell this dumb jock here what is the steel that is pinning Nemesis down again? Track or supports? Feels like a chicken and the egg theory here. Funny if they did give Nemesis new themed trains then it might put this debate to bed once and for all and thank God for that! :p

My only concern for Nemesis though is not about new profiles but if they decided to add trim breaks for her which is something I'm praying they don't do.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.