• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Really excited for Nemesis more than the others. I really do not think it needs more theming adding. What Nemesis lacked in themeing, it more than makes up in landscaping. Something no other coaster on this planet does as well. It makes up for less theming on the ride if you ask me.

Completely agree. Nemesis is not a rollercoaster built in a car park that needs theming up, it hugs the landscape and looks menacing as it is and additional theming has the potential to ruin the ride just as much as it could enhance it. It may not have loads of theming elements but it is one of, if not, the best looking attraction at Alton Towers IMO.

If you count the rocks pulled out the pit and used around the FV area, the station monster, the equipment around the vertical loop pit, the mushroom cloud tour bus, the entrance structure, the "gun" near the entrance to FV, the waterfalls and all the other little bits Nemesis actually has quite a lot of theming elements. Probably more than Thirteen has and most of the other coasters.

Funny thing is, I didn't realise how similar Nemesis and Smiler are in which not only both are built in a pit, the former does better IMO, but have a crab feature in the middle that the ride interacts with in which honestly Smiler's feature is IMO is more eye catching than Nemesis' one.

Some might say less is more but Nemesis needs to have a bit of a 'wow' factor when you first see it in FV in which if we are to forever lose her roar then there would have to have something to make up for it. Seeing this huge this huge alien monster twice the size of the original would no doubt be quite the feature with more leg chopper elements such as I mentioned of interacting with Nemesis' legs. Would it be too much? Maybe but it certainly would add to the experience of just watching the ride never mind actually riding it. Yeah, been watching a lot of Japanese Kaiju flicks that give me the idea, haha.

Regarding the rest of FV and the other features such as the gun and bus, yeah I forgot about them though I didn't really think as them for Nemesis as it was for the area? Anyway, I do feel since Ripsaw left it has made the area feel rather hollow though I do wonder if as part of the overhaul of Nemesis that maybe we might see more tweaks of FV getting added in improving the area? And don't get me started as how Air/Galatica fits in FV, IIRC, had thr oasis theme happened for Air I always thought in which that area of FV was to act as the last area of FV that was untouched by Nemesis' rampage or is that not true? Still, at least it would explain the theming choice better and a bit of a good vs evil thing there...not going to happen now since Air is somewhat, altered.

Some might say less is more but Nemesis needs to have a bit of a 'wow' factor when you first see it in FV

That's the thing though, I still think it does - when you approach and it reveals itself it still looks hugely impressive especially when the first train comes through the first corkscrew and round the helix - and this is from a pure ride standpoint, not just some big theming gimmick like the Wicker Man structure or Smiler marmaliser. I hope they clear away some of the overgrown weeds and grass in the pit, have the waterfalls flowing again (even clear water would be better than them off) and leave Nemesis exactly like it is.

Nemesis is built in a £5m pit! It hugs the terrain (where blood once flowed), it's a visual masterpiece in my eyes. Maybe it's the state of the pit these days, the damage to the station or the fact that the water now runs clear that may make one think it needs more theming. Apart from the pretty miserable break run (funnily enough, also true for Inferno) I wouldn't change a thing.

I want red water, the station fixed and the pit clear of vegetation. I don't think it needs anything else. Just seeing the whole thing from the monorail reminds me of how much of a showpiece it is. Better themed/landscaped than Thirteen, the Smiler, Rita and Spinball combined.

Apart from the pretty miserable break run (funnily enough, also true for Inferno) I wouldn't change a thing.
Always wondered why the brake run had you going up the monster's rear end which the more you think about it can be somewhat disconcerting.

Purely from a selfish POV but I hope they trim down the bushes here. Hard to get a head on view without a load of twigs in the way. Repaving it to how it was pre Air would be nice. (Aware this photo is 2002 or later) just for reference.

Team edit: Moved to a more relevant thread
aaa_nemesis_25.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think the brunt of this retrack/refurb will start at the beginning of the end of this season, It may over run into the season depending on the weather next winter and covid but they wont want one of their main rides being out of operation for an entire season.
Also think of joe public, they will be saying to the papers that the ride is unsafe thats why its closed lol

Has anyone thought if this could be done in 2 stages? Half one closed season half the next ?
I doubt it. Practically, that means you are essentially going through all the process of opening a new ride twice, which is time consuming, costly and not trivial. You'd also lose the ability to do any maintenance which requires the whole track to be removed.

Thinking of the optics, they'd be running a machine which was visibly half of one half another (unless they went to the extent of painting the track that hadn't been replaced yet to match the new track) - and the potential marketing gimmick that comes with a ride being new and improved would be rather watered down. It just wouldn't be a good look I don't think.

I think Merlin will bank the considerable saving on not running it for a full season, build anticipation and reopen the following season.

Would there also be issues with ware? Half the track being ran a season longer, long term causing a few more issues as its not waring at the same levels

he’s probably telling them ‘this is how you build a ride…..’

‘oh **** - what have you done to it!!!!’
"What have you done with Air you Morons? Where's my red water gone and why is Nemesis covered in weeds? At least that family ride over in..... sorry Nick did you say you turned it into a Dungeon!? Jesus wept, take me Towers St Bar I need a shot of..... what do you mean it doesn't exist anymore?"

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.