• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

It really doesn’t, there are plenty of options for getting more ride into that space. Just look at your personal favourite The Smiler. That fits a ton of track into a far smaller space.

It’s short because they wanted the UK record but didn’t want to spend a lot of money.
Height doesn’t mean everything it won’t necessarily make it a better ride. Don’t see why they’re chasing records for the sake of it. Thought they’d finished doing that after Smiler

Out and back down the backstage pathway towards (and possibly even past) Inferno.

Can design the supports in such a way that the pathway is still accessible if required by vehicles etc.

They could've gone for the tallest and longest UK coaster if they tried. Alas in some ways they haven't.

Fully agree on "first drop being good doesn't make the rest of the ride good". A lot of Intamins have that issue.

Pretty sure I got hounded out the other week for saying it wouldn't necessarily be a great ride just because of it's drop, because of how short it is. Was told all the elements look good so it'll be good. It might be good, but I'm fairly certain quite a few people (not everyone) will be left wondering what could've been with a better layout, rather than what we got.

I'm not taking away from the fact it does look very impressive, but I feel like people have definitely been sucked in by the fact it's the tallest and fastest coaster, and ignoring how lazy/short the bulk of the ride actually is.

I don’t think they necessarily needed to go too much longer, and I’m not necessarily sure the length will be too much of a problem, for me at least. The elements that are there look excellent, in my view, and they should hold the ride up enough that the length hopefully shouldn’t be a deal breaker. Yes, it is definitely not the longest hyper in the world, but it’s hardly a one-trick pony either; I don’t mind a ride that isn’t the world’s longest if it packs some good elements into its length.

Yes, it would have been great if Hyperia was longer, but I’d much rather we had a short ride that packed really brilliant elements into its length, like Hyperia, than a long ride that mostly wastes its length, like The Big One.

If we’re discussing a longer Hyperia, though, I’ve always thought that something like this version from YouTube would have been absolutely perfect:

It’s not too much longer, and occupies the same approximate area, but feels a bit more “complete” somehow. It also adds a few more straight airtime moments for a bit of variety.

Last edited:
I'm thoroughly looking forward to riding it but i have a very different idea of what i would have liked in a hyper coaster but everyone likes different things.

I went to Orlando a couple of years ago and very much (based on the hype) expected to come away saying that my favourite coaster was either Iron Gwazi or Velocicoaster...nah, for me Mako was the one. Shows how peoples preference varies. Give me the plain, simple floater of a B&M any day. It's all good having these crazy elements, but i could not recall half of them. I can still feel that butterfly feeling in my stomach from Mako. Plus Iron Gwazi pretty much made my partner cry, so there's that. Couldn't remember a single thing from Gwazi due to how relentless it is. Hyperia should have been a B&M hyper, in my eyes.

I'm thoroughly looking forward to riding it but i have a very different idea of what i would have liked in a hyper coaster but everyone likes different things.

I went to Orlando a couple of years ago and very much (based on the hype) expected to come away saying that my favourite coaster was either Iron Gwazi or Velocicoaster...nah, for me Mako was the one. Shows how peoples preference varies. Give me the plain, simple floater of a B&M any day. It's all good having these crazy elements, but i could not recall half of them. I can still feel that butterfly feeling in my stomach from Mako. Plus Iron Gwazi pretty much made my partner cry, so there's that. Couldn't remember a single thing from Gwazi due to how relentless it is. Hyperia should have been a B&M hyper, in my eyes.
You can't really compare coasters here to the ones in America, their budgets are probably twice that of ours and they have way more land with probably no height restrictions.

Although it's only selling point so far is that it's a smidge taller than an Arrow hyper coaster built 30 years ago

With Hyperia though, its elements aren't as compact, despite being a compact ride of course. There'll likely be more time to appreciate the elements more as one would on a more drawn out Intamin hyper coaster, but with some more unique/crazy elements that try to eject you sideways and offer hangtime. RMC's are too berserk and intense for their own good.

Last edited:
1712691770453.png

Cbs No GIF by HULU

I watched the video from Jack Silkstone yesterday and he has a bit where he's stood in a rideline with the fencing and it felt like he was confined in a cage. The fencing for Hyperia looks like herding animals instead of creating an atmosphere for riders as they queue.
Yes I saw that too. Looks like the queue will be almost as bad as the Smiler but you won't need wellies

Hyperia is longer than any of Thorpe's other coasters but given how tall it is that's hardly surprising.

None of Thorpe's coasters are particularly long.

Do you think single fast track week be available after the opening weekend? If so what you reckon? £18 my guess
Currently the only way thorpe has advertised it is if you spend £100 on merchandise you can buy a £20 single shot or if you buy the £200 unlimited fast track you can buy a £20 single shot or stay in the hyperia room in the shart cabins and get one complimentary.

However long it'll be like that for, I have no idea.