• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

The insane thing is, there's a lot of company's in the UK that supply Disney and Universal (mainly in terms of films, but it's a transferable skill set) with the tech that makes their ideas possible.
If Merlin want to up there game it's absolutely possible. At the same time if they'd rather double down and claim to be the mid-tier option they can still do that. Universal will definitely be calling on that talent.
Anyway, this has gone off topic from Hyperia, but it's interesting to consider as this ride is a turning point between old Merlin, new Merlin, and now threat of Universal Merlin.

We still have to appreciate that they try. We don’t get flat concrete parks like they do in other countries, and I know a lot of people who are completely blown away by places like towers. They’re flawed, but it’s good. Prehaps we’ve become too accustomed to it, but even with that, they should try harder.

Anything new on the second train?

The local forecast says otherwise.
Lower winds from now, well within range.
Are you sure? According to the Met Office, gusts in Chertsey appear to be above 30mph still, and this is not set to fall much below 30mph until the middle of tomorrow. Gusts briefly fall to 29mph at 8pm, but other than that, the gust speed seems to be sticking stubbornly above 30mph until the middle of tomorrow. Thankfully, tomorrow afternoon and evening and Wednesday appear to be forecasting relatively low gust speeds, so we should be testing by tomorrow or Wednesday even if not today.

Are you sure? According to the Met Office, gusts in Chertsey appear to be above 30mph still, and this is not set to fall much below 30mph until the middle of tomorrow. Gusts briefly fall to 29mph at 8pm, but other than that, the gust speed seems to be sticking stubbornly above 30mph until the middle of tomorrow. Thankfully, tomorrow afternoon and evening and Wednesday appear to be forecasting relatively low gust speeds, so we should be testing by tomorrow or Wednesday even if not today.
Well does anyone even know what the max gusts for Hyperia will be?

Well does anyone even know what the max gusts for Hyperia will be?
No, but I’d imagine there might be a reluctance to run it in gusts much above 30mph based on the other rides’ wind speed limits (as posted by Thorpe on their website).

If The Big One and Odyssey are anything to go by, I’d also imagine that it could have a wind speed limit on the lower end of the spectrum compared to the park’s other rides.

The local forecast says otherwise.
Lower winds from now, well within range.
Yeah looks like it could be on. Blue skies and a light breeze now.

In fairness I was looking out the window, not the forecast. Could be carnage again in 10 mins.

Edit: regarding the max wind speed for testing, I'd imagine they will want to proceed with caution.

Wouldn't be ideal if it stalled on the first test run in front of the Monks Walk hoardes.

Are you sure? According to the Met Office...
Come on Matt, I'm a bloody gardener!
Only one forecast on your laptop?
I have three to four, including current radar for actual rain!
Met office and BBC are the best to average out, but can show quite opposite forecasts for a single place.
This will still have the ability to test today, without doubt.
The forecast for the next few days, incredibly, is good!

You'd hope they'd have built the coaster in a way so it can be operated in highish winds.

Unlike the big one were Geoffrey Thompson wanted it built in a specific way and with those 2 big first hills and turnaround to draw attention to itself and the park.
It's not always down to the ride, you also have to consider the safety of those who have to evacuate the car from the top of the lift hill.