• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2025 birthday trip planning- My first non-UK park and first visit to Europa!

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I'll be turning 30 next year (I know it's a long way off but thought I should start planning now) and so it feels like a good time to finally visit a non-UK park, and Europa Park is right at the top of my bucket list. From early research it looks like the best travel option could be flying from Manchester Airport (the closest major airport to Sheffield) to Basel, then getting a taxi or hiring a car to the park. Won't know how many people are going till nearer the time, but it'll be all adults.

So, a few questions to start off;

- Is the travel route above definitely the best option from my area?
- Looking at the hotels all the regular rooms seem to have a double bed and a bunk bed in. Are there any that would be more suitable for a group of friends? We'd split into lads and lasses mind.
- Which hotel would you recommend?
- How many full days would you recommend for first-timers?
- Would you recommend Rulantica and if so, how much time?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Tom
I can't help you with hotels however I can do the other questions:
1. Don't get a taxi from the airport, it would cost an insane amount of money (I'm getting quotes for €200 each way). Hiring a car would likely be your cheapest option if it's a group (I'm getting quotes for £60 per day).
2. I agree Mancheste to Basel seems your best bet.
3. I'd suggest two days on park and one day in Rulantica would probably be sufficient.

I made the same first-time (and only 😥 ) trip (albeit from Leeds) with relatively little experience in 2017. I can answer some questions and throw in extra info.

1. We did Manchester - Basel (Swiss side, if that's relevant) and hired a car. It was a doddle, and by far the cheapest option.
  2. To maximise full days on park and lower cost, we flew in the afternoon and stayed in a B&B 3 minutes south of Rust for the night. We then drove to the park in the morning and checked into Castillo Aclazar for the remaining two nights. With a late flight on the final day, this allowed us *almost* 3 full days on park while only paying for two nights in Europa.
  3. I can only recommend Castillo Aclazar as we chose the hotel based on price alone. That being said, it certainly didn't feel like we had chosen the budget option. It was well themed both around the hotel and in the room and felt premium. I did wander around all the other hotels at the time for a comparison and honestly they just felt like different flavours, no more or less premium. Then again, I didn't stay in them so take that with as mush salt as you wish! 😄
  4. Three full days felt like a good amount to us. It was enough time to explore the park without rushing. We didn't do everything, but then we did focus a lot of time on re-rides of our favourites and pints in O'Mackays! Rulantica had only just begun construction so I can't comment on that.
As a side-note, most of my planning relied heavily on AstroDan's excellent topic on Trip Planning here. If you haven't already, I'd recommend giving it a good read. :)

I'll be turning 30 next year (I know it's a long way off but thought I should start planning now) and so it feels like a good time to finally visit a non-UK park, and Europa Park is right at the top of my bucket list. From early research it looks like the best travel option could be flying from Manchester Airport (the closest major airport to Sheffield) to Basel, then getting a taxi or hiring a car to the park. Won't know how many people are going till nearer the time, but it'll be all adults.

So, a few questions to start off;

- Is the travel route above definitely the best option from my area?
- Looking at the hotels all the regular rooms seem to have a double bed and a bunk bed in. Are there any that would be more suitable for a group of friends? We'd split into lads and lasses mind.
- Which hotel would you recommend?
- How many full days would you recommend for first-timers?
- Would you recommend Rulantica and if so, how much time?

Thanks in advance!

- The travel route may, or may not, be the best option. It depends on prices at the time.
- Some hotels do have 5 and 6-bed rooms. However, all are basically similar level. I suggest El Andaluz or Castillo Alcazar for proximity to the park and a slightly less expensive room rate - although all are amazing. Walking into Colosseo has the wow factor. Do not use Kronasar for your first visit as it's further away.
- 3 days on park + 1 day Rulantica is optimal.

Have you read the first post in this topic?

Feel free to ask questions, although I may merge this topic with the one above in due course.

- The travel route may, or may not, be the best option. It depends on prices at the time.
- Some hotels do have 5 and 6-bed rooms. However, all are basically similar level. I suggest El Andaluz or Castillo Alcazar for proximity to the park and a slightly less expensive room rate - although all are amazing. Walking into Colosseo has the wow factor. Do not use Kronasar for your first visit as it's further away.
- 3 days on park + 1 day Rulantica is optimal.

Have you read the first post in this topic?

Feel free to ask questions, although I may merge this topic with the one above in due course.
Ah thanks Dan, I'd not seen that post. Very useful!

Do some hotels have rooms with single beds (not including the kids bunk bed of course) instead of or as well as a double bed? That would be better for us.

Ah thanks Dan, I'd not seen that post. Very useful!

Do some hotels have rooms with single beds (not including the kids bunk bed of course) instead of or as well as a double bed? That would be better for us.
Not that I've seen. Most room configuration is like Alton Towers. Or most parks for that matter. That said, some rooms have two doubles - I've stayed in one in El Andaluz. You can always ask on booking. Remember- doubles at EP are basically two singles pushed together with two individual duvets.

The German way.

If you do end up with bunk beds - they are perfectly sizes for adults.

Not that I've seen. Most room configuration is like Alton Towers. Or most parks for that matter. That said, some rooms have two doubles - I've stayed in one in El Andaluz. You can always ask on booking. Remember- doubles at EP are basically two singles pushed together with two individual duvets.

The German way.

If you do end up with bunk beds - they are perfectly sizes for adults.
Thanks Dan, yes I think I heard about the double beds being two singles somewhere. Was going to ask about the bunk beds, that's handy that they're adult-sized. Think I'm going to keep Hotel Colosseo in mind, does look nice and the La Romantia Pizzeria is more to my taste than the other hotel restaurants. That said, can guests use restaurants in different hotels to the one they're staying in? Or can thy only use the restaurants in their booked hotel?

You don't need to be staying at a particular hotel to use their restaurants and bars. In fact you can go to any of the restaurants or bars on resort without staying at a resort hotel at all.

You do need to be a hotel guest to use pools, saunas and spas, but you can use those of different hotels than you are staying in if you choose to.

You don't need to be staying at a particular hotel to use their restaurants and bars. In fact you can go to any of the restaurants or bars on resort without staying at a resort hotel at all.

You do need to be a hotel guest to use pools, saunas and spas, but you can use those of different hotels than you are staying in if you choose to.
Thanks @NuttySquirrel, how far in advance is it advisable to book restaurant reservations?

If it's a weeknight, you could book right up until just prior - but if it's a weekend, I would recommend booking at least 3-4 weeks prior.

As soon as you can, in other words.

Silver Lake Saloon recommended on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights.

Flying from Manchester to Basel is a good choice, especially if you're coming from Sheffield. Taking a taxi or renting a car from there is the easiest way to get to the park with friends. Consider staying at hotels like Hotel Colosseo or Hotel Bell Rock for more spacious accommodations. A couple of full days should be enough to explore Europa Park, and allocate at least half a day for Rulantica if you're interested in water parks. Enjoy your trip and happy early birthday!

using the train from Basel is also really easy, the bus runs every 20 mins from straight outside the airport to the enterance of the train station, then you can get the train with one change to the Europa park station and then the short shuttle bus to the park. Great option if no one wants to drive,

Thanks all for the advice so far. Just a question about the hotel rooms that sleep six, even though it says up to six people it only mentions four beds (double bed and bunk bed), so what are the other two beds? Just a little confused lol.

Thanks all for the advice so far. Just a question about the hotel rooms that sleep six, even though it says up to six people it only mentions four beds (double bed and bunk bed), so what are the other two beds? Just a little confused lol.
Depends on hotel.

Itll be double + 2 sets of bunks most likely.

I joined the Hotel Friends program earlier and downloaded both apps to have a look. Think ideally I'd like three full days on park with a day either side for arrival and departure (so 5 days and 4 nights (Like @Matt N did I believe)). 3 days would give time for shows as well, as even though I'm more of a rides person I have heard good things about them. And if we do Rulantica we can take advantage of the early entry on our departure day if our flight is in the afternoon/evening. Obviously it depends on flight times but I'll have to wait until the 2025 flight schedule is released. Taking that into account, what is the earliest I should book/should be able to book the hotel and such?

Last edited:
I'd definitely recommend the 3 days on park @Skyscraper. That worked really well for us in 2022! Even though my parents said that if we go back, we'd probably only do 2 days in Europa Park next time and replace the 3rd with a day at Rulantica, I reckon 3 days in Europa Park is best for a first timer. I certainly felt that it was just right, anyway!

In terms of hotels; if I'm remembering correctly from when we booked our 2022 trip, I think the bookings come online in around October/November.

I'd definitely recommend the 3 days on park @Skyscraper. That worked really well for us in 2022! Even though my parents said that if we go back, we'd probably only do 2 days in Europa Park next time and replace the 3rd with a day at Rulantica, I reckon 3 days in Europa Park is best for a first timer. I certainly felt that it was just right, anyway!

In terms of hotels; if I'm remembering correctly from when we booked our 2022 trip, I think the bookings come online in around October/November.
Thanks Matt, that's useful to know. When do you think would be the earliest I'd be able to book the flights?
Been looking at the alternative option of flying from Stansted to Baden-Baden, and the flight times appear to be a little better. It's Ryanair though, and their baggage charges are extortionate. Still think the best option is Manchester to Basel if the times work out.

Also, a question about booking multiple rooms... Am I right in thinking that if I booked two rooms I'd have to book the park tickets in two lots as well?

Thanks Matt, that's useful to know. When do you think would be the earliest I'd be able to book the flights?
Been looking at the alternative option of flying from Stansted to Baden-Baden, and the flight times appear to be a little better. It's Ryanair though, and their baggage charges are extortionate. Still think the best option is Manchester to Basel if the times work out.

Also, a question about booking multiple rooms... Am I right in thinking that if I booked two rooms I'd have to book the park tickets in two lots as well?
I’d probably say no earlier than a year in advance. You could even book quite a bit later than this (as a recent example, we booked our September trip to PortAventura in January), but the airlines often won’t physically have flights available more than a year in advance. Well, SkyScanner doesn’t let you search more than a year in advance, anyway…

As an aside, I’ve been looking these two options up for you @Skyscraper. I don’t know when you were thinking of going, but as an example, I put 22nd-26th April 2024 (similar sort of dates to when I went in 2022) into SkyScanner, and the prices and times were as follows:
  • London Stansted (STN) to Baden-Baden (FKB): Ryanair, £44 per ticket, fly out at 13:30 on 22nd, fly back at 22:05 on 26th, 1h 25m out, 1h 30m back
  • Manchester (MAN) to Basel (BSL): EasyJet, £81 per ticket, fly out at 14:35 on 22nd, fly back at 21:35 on 26th, 1h 50m out, 1h 55m back

We did London Stansted to Baden-Baden with Ryanair, and we found it a relatively decent option overall. We hired a car from Baden-Baden, and the drive down to Europa Park took around 45 minutes. My dad said it was very easy; it was mostly motorway (autobahn, in fact!) all the way down.

The only thing I would have against doing that route again is Stansted itself. That’s firstly because I personally live absolutely miles from Stansted, but that’s not necessarily relevant for you. Secondly, though, Stansted was not the greatest airport experience I’ve ever had, with all things considered. Going out of it was fine, but coming back into it was absolute chaos. We waited around 1.5-2 hours to get through immigration, and when we got out, we then had to wait for a further period of time to get a bus back to the car park, which we were then packed into like sardines when it arrived.

Maybe I just caught it on a particularly bad day, but that was my experience.

I’d probably say no earlier than a year in advance. You could even book quite a bit later than this (as a recent example, we booked our September trip to PortAventura in January), but the airlines often won’t physically have flights available more than a year in advance. Well, SkyScanner doesn’t let you search more than a year in advance, anyway…

As an aside, I’ve been looking these two options up for you @Skyscraper. I don’t know when you were thinking of going, but as an example, I put 22nd-26th April 2024 (similar sort of dates to when I went in 2022) into SkyScanner, and the prices and times were as follows:
  • London Stansted (STN) to Baden-Baden (FKB): Ryanair, £44 per ticket, fly out at 13:30 on 22nd, fly back at 22:05 on 26th, 1h 25m out, 1h 30m back
  • Manchester (MAN) to Basel (BSL): EasyJet, £81 per ticket, fly out at 14:35 on 22nd, fly back at 21:35 on 26th, 1h 50m out, 1h 55m back

We did London Stansted to Baden-Baden with Ryanair, and we found it a relatively decent option overall. We hired a car from Baden-Baden, and the drive down to Europa Park took around 45 minutes. My dad said it was very easy; it was mostly motorway (autobahn, in fact!) all the way down.

The only thing I would have against doing that route again is Stansted itself. That’s firstly because I personally live absolutely miles from Stansted, but that’s not necessarily relevant for you. Secondly, though, Stansted was not the greatest airport experience I’ve ever had, with all things considered. Going out of it was fine, but coming back into it was absolute chaos. We waited around 1.5-2 hours to get through immigration, and when we got out, we then had to wait for a further period of time to get a bus back to the car park, which we were then packed into like sardines when it arrived.

Maybe I just caught it on a particularly bad day, but that was my experience.
Thanks for that Matt. My birthday is mid-March so I'd probably be going early in the season. Out of Manchester and Stanstead the former is closer and easiest to get to from Sheffield. And from your list Ryanair might look cheaper at first glance but the baggage fees would add up quickly.

Still got loads of time though, although how quickly do Europa's hotels tend to sell out? By the time flights are available to book the hotel availability could be limited (and vice versa, don't want to book the stay and then find that the flight times aren't suitable/no flights). And another thing is local holidays, I'll obviously want to avoid those and go in term time.

Last edited: