• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

You see, I disagree completely. If I was John Burton that's exactly what I would do. If it was an RMC I wouldn't choose to "accidentally" refer to it in my video

But by 'accidentally' revealing it as an RMC - he's starting the hype. They're getting us all talking about the project. I have no doubt people involved have a good scroll through these forums and gather feedback as well. We know how good their marketing can be.

Although you could well be right and it is just a big misdirect. I guess we will find out!

Thoroughly expecting Zamperla or Intamin. Just can’t bring myself to understand why you’d put an RMC indoors in the first place! Obviously I don’t know the track parameters and other details of their family model, but when you have other manufacturers who are seasoned in the family market it would seem strange to take such a risk on a still relatively new company’s new product. And if it was something similar to fire in the hole I’d be rather let down, the park has just opened two dark rides in Gangsta granny and Curse (and refurbished Sub-Terra. I’m hoping it’s something that at least offers some thrill like Uncharted or DarKoaster.

But by 'accidentally' revealing it as an RMC - he's starting the hype. They're getting us all talking about the project. I have no doubt people involved have a good scroll through these forums and gather feedback as well. We know how good their marketing can be.
Starting the hype doesn't equal confirming the manufacturer though. A few misdirects gets people talking (a prime example being this topic which was pretty dead as of late). That's hype, it doesn't have to include any sort of accurate new information.

As for feedback, the majority of this attraction will be long planned and backed by plenty of market research already. Reading this topic over the last 24 hours will no doubt likely be a source of amusement over much else.

Somebody could go around the trees in the park and engrave "SBF Visa 2026" like what happened with Thorpe with the "RMC 2020" malarkey and people would believe it.

Thoroughly expecting Zamperla or Intamin. Just can’t bring myself to understand why you’d put an RMC indoors in the first place! Obviously I don’t know the track parameters and other details of their family model, but when you have other manufacturers who are seasoned in the family market it would seem strange to take such a risk on a still relatively new company’s new product. And if it was something similar to fire in the hole I’d be rather let down, the park has just opened two dark rides in Gangsta granny and Curse (and refurbished Sub-Terra. I’m hoping it’s something that at least offers some thrill like Uncharted or DarKoaster.
We all know Merlin love a worlds 1st so to be the park to get their new family coaster would be appealing.

Reading ppls replies i think i agree that friday will just be announcing the ride model but i am still quietly confident thats what horizon is.

Would RMC announce a new model without having sold at least 1 of them to a park somewhere?

Starting the hype doesn't equal confirming the manufacturer though. A few misdirects gets people talking (a prime example being this topic which was pretty dead as of late). That's hype, it doesn't have to include any sort of accurate new information.

At the end of the day, it's whether you believe it's the truth, or it's just a harmless tease. And the fact it seems to coincide with RMC revealing some sort of compact family model that looks perfect for an indoor coaster, I believe there's truth in it.

You have John Wardley himself essentially confirming Project Horizon as SW9 - and in that interview he did he mentioned Towers would be getting some sort of 'new technology' (or something along those lines).

And then interestingly you have RMC themselves posting videos/pictures with quotes such as 'WHATS IN THE WOODS' 'SOMETHING'S ON THE LOOSE'. And hinting to 'OO' in those quotes and other sentences they've posted. You have this image below of Project Horizon, where you clearly see the building and queue are surrounded by trees. Could this be a hint towards a possible theme?

Or maaaybe I am just looking way too much into it. Fun, either way.

Attachments

• projecthorizonapp05.jpg
    projecthorizonapp05.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 35
Would RMC announce a new model without having sold at least 1 of them to a park somewhere?
Silver Dollar City, which has already been announced. This will be a follow up announcement to showcase the versatility of the ride type as standard, rather than with all the added extras FITH has (water splashdown, onboard audio, etc etc).

I really would like it to be an RMC, although I think a lot of people are taking this at face value because its potentially a family coaster and disappointed its not a full scale RMC but the way I see it, it has a lot of potential and makes quite a bit of sense.

Firstly, yes it may be a family coaster but that doesn't mean it won't be a good ride, Wicker man and Thirteen are classified as family coasters yet they still deliver a very good experience for everyone.

Secondly, It will be RMCs first UK installation, and who knows if that could mean other UK parks take an interest in their work? This could very well be a catalyst for other RMC products to be built here.

Thirdly, we know that merlin like unique rides, and they are tasked with building a dark ride of some sort, so surely and indoor RMC would be a unique answer? of course they could have gone to Intimin, Mack, Zamperla, or even Gerstlauer but wouldn't have that been a bit of an obvious decision for a park that is home to some of the strangest and bespoke rides in the world?

For the everyday visitor this will be a fun, well themed, solid attraction, but for enthusiasts this will be a weird, unique and interesting ride built by one of the worlds currently best manufactures.
Alton Towers + John Wardley hasn't disappointed us with any roller coasters yet so I feel like we are in safe hands

Last edited:
If it’s a new RMC design it would tie in with Wardley’s comments last year about the ‘next big thing’ coming to AT.
Personally, and this is just pure speculation from my end, I think that could refer to something more akin to an SFX Coaster or Vekoma OmiCoaster like Cosmic Rewind, because that's even more innovative technology that'd give a UK audience more of a wow factor than what RMC are offering with their family coaster model.

Last edited:
Can't imagine "the world's first Rocky Mountain Construction family coaster" making much of a dent in the minds of the nation on TV adverts.

Then again..."world's first Jumaniji-themed coaster" was shamelessly used.
Agreed, the vast majority of people have no clue what an RMC is so to use it as a uk first tagline would be odd. Ever more so if they used it on a coaster you can’t even see with your own eyes.
In that video, john burton is stood outside of oblivion which is themed to a big black hole, black holes have an event horizon, and project horizon shares the word horizon

OO? looks a bit like two ends of a tunnel or wormhole? at the start of a wormhole there is a black hole
a new black hole?
I think you’re reading too much into it personally. He’s stood outside oblivion because it’s a fantastic photo and video opportunity with the drop in the background.

In that video, john burton is stood outside of oblivion which is themed to a big black hole, black holes have an event horizon, and project horizon shares the word horizon

OO? looks a bit like two ends of a tunnel or wormhole? at the start of a wormhole there is a black hole
a new black hole?
This might be controversial to some, but I don't quite get the obsession over The Black Hole returning in some form if I'm honest.

There's a few generations who've never even ridden the thing so the nostalgia factor is limited to the hardcore fans - it closed 18 years ago after all. I'd much rather a brand new unique theme be used over regurgitating rides of old.

I thought I would air some thoughts as to what the park has potentially hinted. I have heard before, although from what source I cannot recall, that the reason the UK doesn't have an RMC yet was due to the restraint design not meeting compliance with the intensity of the ride in the UK. This personally seems like a bit of a logical fallacy (Most western ride standards are set through international comittees such as ASTM-F24 and IAAPA) but with a family coaster, this would circumvent that issue. The teased photo of the coaster layout is very built for a squared site. The support structure seems to be very squared off and fitted for a building as opposed to an outdoor site, and the reuse of land for multiple elements by going over and under itself is very trademark of an indoor coaster. It would not be an unreasonable layout for a coaster to go in Horizons shed. However, a small part of me really wants this to be a massive wind up on Merlin's part, just as a humungous power move by them, reminding us mere mortals that the marketing gods have us at their eternal whims.