• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Let’s not forget the scale of Alton towers! However they do need a better scheduled and ongoing cleaning maintenance. There should be budgets for Jet washing daily in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s not forget the scale of Alton towers! However they do need a better scheduled and ongoing cleaning maintenance. There should be budgets for Jet washing daily in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No need to jet wash daily - and logistically it would be near impossible to do - and to be fair to them, the paths are generally very clean and free from grime and litter. I think the main paths and plaza areas do get jet washed most closed seasons. Queue lines on the whole are clean too but with the odd exceptions (ride hosts litter pick and tidy up the queue lines when the rides close at the end of each day). But the ride hardware itself should really be done at least once a year just before the park opens - but that frequency depends on the severity of the grime I suppose.

Last edited:
When I stayed in hotel Charles Lindbergh at Phantasialand, they were going around Rookburgh and cleaning all the guest areas every morning. Anything accessible by someone with a brush on a pole sort of height.

Back to the topic, I can't see the budget for this and budget for maintenance being the same area of the budget.

Last edited:
I agree with others' posts on here while having SW9 would be amazing, there are more prominent matters that need addressing.

We have ageing coasters that are becoming increasingly unreliable. The smiler looks like a 'state' but at the same time, we get a 'smiler takeover' event which looks like it was organised by the local sixth forms media department.

Just little things bug me. That old air canopy bit of theming in Galacticas queue line with wires dangling. Surely they can just clear the wires off it? Or give it a quick jet wash? Smiler with its white paint (this colour scheme needs a fresh coat yearly) and the awful-looking stairway. The fairground rides in a 'themed' area with cheesy pop being blasted.

Towers do not need another coaster. There are no flats to break up your day. It's just coaster after coaster. It's meant to be a theme park with variety.

Imagine visiting the place for the first time this week. How confusing the whole thing is. The car park, and 50/50 monorail not working, long walk to the entrance. No internal transport (skyride). Smiler stickers and random theming everywhere, strange entertainment on separate stages but no main stage. You don't even know where the entertainment is on the sign near the main stage.

The whole food situation is a disaster. You can't get away with this kind of stuff in 2023. Everyone expects theme park food to be overpriced and was 'ok' before Amarak. (The service just needed working on as it was a bit sloppy.). However, people don't like being 'ripped off'. It's embarrassing having the 100% signs removed, mobile phone images for food on the self-service machines and the low-quality food offerings all over social media.

What makes matters worse, hotel prices have sky-rocketed and the food is dire. I loved staying at the resort. You are better off just going to Travelodge or premier inn these days.

This will all backfire in the end. They will have to do big sales, even bring back food franchises if people have zero confidence. The number of people I saw on a quiet day have a packed lunch in the gardens, said it all.

Long story short, go back to basics. Forget about SW9 until these things are sorted. Focus on actually having a decent scare-fest this year, rather than recycled mazes people have done time and time again. They need to revisit everything. Not from an enthusiast's point of view (we don't make them much money). Focus on the first-time guest, and how they would perceive the park. Would they care about another new coaster or their overall day being a good one?

Never been bothered about most flat rides myself, but there is no limit to the number of coasters, water rides and dark rides that I would love AT to have.

Wish we could have a coaster bigger than Shawn Sanbrooke's carbon footprint...

Going off the flat ride idea ide just adore having a waltzer anywhere in the park or even just a bog standered twister and lets face it cannonball in mutiny bay is basically a merry-go-round with spinning cars instead of horses.
The whole park is now focused of thrill seekers instead of the whole family experience in my eyes

Going off the flat ride idea ide just adore having a waltzer anywhere in the park or even just a bog standered twister and lets face it cannonball in mutiny bay is basically a merry-go-round with spinning cars instead of horses.
The whole park is now focused of thrill seekers instead of the whole family experience in my eyes
I do disagree with your last comment, you have 3 good family thrill coasters in Wicker man, Th13teen and Spinball, then add RMT and Octonauts for the kiddies and a whole two kids areas (CBeebies and Walliams). Mutiny Bay also had a range of family attractions to enjoy with young ones. I think horizon will go towards the Family thrill market so with all that you have a very good offering for all ages.

I do disagree with your last comment, you have 3 good family thrill coasters in Wicker man, Th13teen and Spinball, then add RMT and Octonauts for the kiddies and a whole two kids areas (CBeebies and Walliams). Mutiny Bay also had a range of family attractions to enjoy with young ones. I think horizon will go towards the Family thrill market so with all that you have a very good offering for all ages.
I m going to agree
(Ive been off park now so long im forgetting most of it lol)

there is a bog-standard twister right now, its Flavio's fabulous Fandango in the David Walliams area.
Marauders Mayhem is a teacups ride, nothing like a merry-go-round.

The last three additions to the park have all been closer to family rides with Wickerman, Gangsta Granny and Alton Manor. Then the next indoor ride (maybe coaster) is expected to be family thrill too.

But this thread is about the new indoor ride being built, not flat rides.

Last edited:
Having not attended the park in 7 years things are a little different now than then^^

The merry go round my brain was thinking of was the derby racer at bpb lol

I just hope the new build isn't inspired by valhalla.....an indoor soakfest... But a few flats under 1 roof would be a nice suprise

All rumours seem to indicate an indoor coaster instead of a dark ride. Tbh this whole thread has been a lot of this same discussion so I won’t go to far into it as it’s all available on previous pages. But having just opened Alton Manor and Gangsta Granny recently I don’t see them adding another dark ride just yet.

All rumours seem to indicate an indoor coaster instead of a dark ride. Tbh this whole thread has been a lot of this same discussion so I won’t go to far into it as it’s all available on previous pages. But having just opened Alton Manor and Gangsta Granny recently I don’t see them adding another dark ride just yet.
An indoor coaster is still a ride in the dark even if it isn't a "dark ride". At present all we know is it is an indoor ride.