• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Does anyone else worry on the presentation of the show building? On the plans did it state that it was going to be a green shed/building?

How will this look when completed? A large subterra building? Yes there is that strange signage part which comes out but it’s not going to be themed like Uncharted for example. If it’s just going to be this in that area, I feel like it’s going to look awkward. I’m sure the rollercoaster hardware inside will be great, just not sure on the building.

Does anyone else worry on the presentation of the show building? On the plans did it state that it was going to be a green shed/building?

How will this look when completed? A large subterra building? Yes there is that strange signage part which comes out but it’s not going to be themed like Uncharted for example. If it’s just going to be this in that area, I feel like it’s going to look awkward. I’m sure the rollercoaster hardware inside will be great, just not sure on the building.
On the basis of what's in the planning application? Nope I'm not worried. Alton Manor is a large green building, but it's hidden from a guest point of view when on park. I'd expect the same with this.

I don’t think they have yet released the details on theming that will hide the show building. Either because they aren’t finalised or because they don’t want to give away the theme. Or possibly both.

Well whatever they do it can’t look any worse than 13’s rusty scaffolding and tin sheets

Green show buildings are common in theme parks, Disney even has its own “go away green” shade it uses. It allows the building to blend into the surrounding trees so guests don’t notice it.

The park facing side of the building will have theming.

Interesting thoughts, and a fair justification.
Thanks! I must admit that it was seeing the building that FITH is being installed into that made me think. Then seeing the dimensions convinced me. (Take your point that the layout could be completely different and result in a different building size, but I suppose the point is that a FITH type ride can *definitely* fit in there and its a very big coincidence if Merlin are building something else in a building that is pretty much the same.) The other two points that I made are on their own just corroboratory factors really:

The John Burton point, I can see what you are saying but it feels like too obvious a hint to be a leg pull to me, he literally shows the RMC logo and mentions horizon, the other past suggestions weren't stated by him directly in public videos. I fully accept that this is down to opinion rather than fact! As for JW I feel like the FITH style ride fits with what he would be genuinely excited about and could easily see him classing it as 'next big thing' (again my opinion) and this is a bit of a looser point as he could equally be excited about something different.

FITH building under construction for info - (if I'm wrong it at least gives an idea of scale for Horizon)

IMG_8225.JPG

Just to point out, Fire in the Hole is a very unique ride. It is a dark ride meets rollercoaster, and it looks like the new version from RMC is a continuation of this. I certainly don't see it as being the next big thing, the ride itself is pretty simple but it is the scenes, story and effects that make it.

The building for the new Fire in the Hole being a similar size to the Project Horizon building is almost certainly a coincidence! I'm sure the building size of Project Horizon is also similar to other indoor coasters built around the world. I wonder how different in size it is to Uncharted at PortAventura?

@cactuselves thanks for the image

For me what it does show is that we are not going to get much coaster in the building. Its quite small looking at that.

The add in the interior queue etc. Tiny coaster which makes me think more dark ride / coaster

@cactuselves thanks for the image

For me what it does show is that we are not going to get much coaster in the building. Its quite small looking at that.

The add in the interior queue etc. Tiny coaster which makes me think more dark ride / coaster
I’ve been having very similar thoughts. The building dimensions lead me to believe that this will be more of a coaster/dark ride hybrid than a stand-alone coaster.

Reactions: Tom
I like the idea of a coaster/dark ride hybrid, but I think that it will just be a coaster. I would like to be wrong.

I expect you are all right in it being aimed at a march opening.

Can this site be viewed from any sort of height from any surronding rides or will we be stuck with a ground view.

I Love that there are so many options AT can take with this and cannot wait to find out more details.

Itll be interesting over the next couple of months if we see any activity. On my next visit ill be looking out for RMC or INTAMIN jackets in that area. :)

It's also interesting to note nearly all of the names we know who have historically gotten a lot of things right about new Alton towers additions or changes all seem to be saying intamin for this project.
That doesn't confirm anything either cause realistically nobody knows 100% unless you're working directly on the project with Merlin or the said manufacturer, just worth noting though.

John Burton was recently asked to use one word to describe Project Horizon, and he chose "captivating". Hopefully this does indicate that whatever the ride turns out to be, there will be a heavy reliance on theming.
Itll be interesting over the next couple of months if we see any activity. On my next visit ill be looking out for RMC or INTAMIN jackets in that area. :)
I might hang around the area wearing my Intamin lanyard when I'm next at Towers... ;)

78 weeks from this weekend could potentially be opening weekend in 2025:

1695571110053.png

Also, while skimming through the Construction Environmental Management Plan (yes, I'm that bored this afternoon), I noticed this paragraph, I wonder if this is or will delay the start of the site clearance?

1695571212152.png

Sounds like they're just having to wait until the bats are all out of the old derelict hot dog van doing batty things, then they'll have to quickly drag it to the edge of the development area in a suitable environment for bats (without damaging the van/home). Then the bats will return to the hot dog van in its new position and live happily ever after. Otherwise, the statement doesn't quite make sense.

I don't know if it's an old hot dog van, but that's what I chose to imagine.