• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Historically there's not been much overlap between lego parks and other Merlin parks in terms of new rides. If one lego park gets something new and it's a success then it's very likely to be rolled out elsewhere - Ninjago dark rides and all the flying theatres with supporting Zierer tower rides are probably the best examples of this but they've also added a submarine ride to LLC relatively recently and clearly thought about copying LLW's Haunted House too.

Lego rides don't seem to get rolled out further than the lego parks though - I can't really think of any major LL rides that have jumped across to the other parks. Even if they were to use the same ride hardware in LLC and Towers at similar times, I'd imagine the themes would be totally unique to leave them with the option of adding the Lego version into Windsor at some stage

Well there was the B&M wing coaster deal for both Legoland in Germany and Chessington, so it's not out of the realms of possibility that they'll be the same ride.

Good to see them going to Huss again, hopefully Merlin have learnt their lesson purchasing cheap tat like Croc Drop.

For clarification my point is hardware related, not theme.

I doubt we will see lego wt AT, despite the fact a mini lego land in that area would work.

It would make sense, Merlin do like multi buy deals as they make good business sense.

Also, you are limited to what hardware you can realistically put inside a building to maximise space and the constraints of the building, further limiting options within my opinion, this supports the hypothesis that they would purchase multiple designs from a single manufacturer for multiple indoor coasters, because options are even more limited than outdoor coasters. I mean why wouldn't you, when you save a lot of money? Not doing it almost seems like the unlikely option in my opinion.

We are seeing huge expansions and investments in Merlin right now, one of the ways they are able to achieve this is through smart purchases that maximise hardware for specific costs (multibuys). Rides are not cheap, especially on the scale Merlin now seem to be purchasing at, they will use everything they can to bring the cost down, as would any company, this is first day business school tactics.

If someone was in charge of purchasing and they were spending huge sums on money and not buying in a multibuy fashion, they perhaps would not be in that role very long, not in this day and age.

Last edited:
It would make sense, Merlin do like multi buy deals as they make good business sense.

Also, you are limited to what hardware you can realistically put inside a building to maximise space and the constraints of the building, further limiting options with in my opinion, this supports the hypothesis that they would purchase multiple designs from a single manufacturer for multiple indoor coasters, because options are even more limited than outdoor coasters. I mean why wouldn't you? When you save a lot of money. Not doing it almost seems like the unlikely option in my opinion.

We are seeing huge expansions and investments in Merlin right now, one of the ways they are able to achieve this is through smart purchases that maximise hardware for specific costs (multibuys). Rides are not cheap, especially on the scale Merlin now seem to be purchasing at, they will use everything they can to bring the cost down, as would any company, this is first day business school tactics.

If someone was in charge of purchasing and they were spending huge sums on money and not buying in a multibuy fashion, they perhaps would not be in that role very long, not in this day and age.

92499e5b6de21b5f5466e6373dafc8ed.jpg

Anyone know if this applies to roller coaster “machinery” as may have something to do with it?…

92499e5b6de21b5f5466e6373dafc8ed.jpg

Anyone know if this applies to roller coaster “machinery” as may have something to do with it?…

From a liquidation section of the gov website. The government define plant and machinery as the following:

"Generally speaking, plant and machinery is an asset that is used by a business for the purpose of carrying on the business and is not stock in trade, the business premises or part of the business premises. The difference between plant and machinery is that generally machinery will have moving working parts, and plant will not (though computers and similar electronic devices are considered to be machinery, despite have no moving parts). The working parts of a machine are also considered to be machinery."

Rollercoasters and rides would be considered as machinery, under the government's own definition. Supporting parts of the attractions could also be considered as plant equipment.

Savings are double fold then, not only do you get large tax breaks right now, you also receive multibuy deals.

If Horizon has been purchased as part of a multi coaster deal surely the most likely candidate would be Mack, alongside Hyperia? Both in the UK, both planning around the same time, and both different enough in presentation for the public not to notice/care about any similarity.

From a liquidation section of the gov website. The government define plant and machinery as the following:

"Generally speaking, plant and machinery is an asset that is used by a business for the purpose of carrying on the business and is not stock in trade, the business premises or part of the business premises. The difference between plant and machinery is that generally machinery will have moving working parts, and plant will not (though computers and similar electronic devices are considered to be machinery, despite have no moving parts). The working parts of a machine are also considered to be machinery."

Rollercoasters and rides would be considered as machinery, under the government's own definition. Supporting parts of the attractions could also be considered as plant equipment.

Savings are double fold then, not only do you get large tax breaks right now, you also receive multibuy deals.

That’s really interesting. Essentially, due to the tax write off (if you’re making profit and paying tax unlike say Blackpool Pleasure Beach) you can install ride equipment at no cost.

One would expect to see lots of new rides all over the UK being constructed then. Maybe next closed season will be extremely exciting.

This might also play into Universal GB; all their new ride hardware would be a tax write off…

No, it only removes the tax element, 100% tax deduction, not cost reduction.
You still have to pay the other 75%...or there would be an awful lot of businesses buying an awful lot of p&m.
I do it myself in a smaller way, end of financial year new machinery depends on the previous years business...spend a grand on new kit or throw it at the taxman.
So I'm moving over to full cordless courtesy of the taxman.

I had way too much time on my hands over the festive period, and wanted to mess around with some ai, so put together this concept of what I'd like to see project horizon turn into.

Very much pure speculation obviously but I thought some people may enjoy! (take with a huge pinch of salt...)

https://www.behance.net/gallery/187569955/The-Secret-Garden-(Alton-Towers-concept)

Genuinely though, I think the park doesn't capitalise enough on its history and intrinsic 'magic' with its themes, outside of hex. I'd love to see something similar to this to take us back to the glory days of the 90's. I also hope we do see a full rework of Walliams world and not just an obtrusive theme stuck onto an existing area.

I can’t get over how perfect this would be for Alton towers and that area of the park, really impressed! Can yourself and AI work for Merlin please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if they will give it a new project name given the negative attention it might get with the Horizon computer system in the Post Office scandal, unless the ups and downs of ruining a Post Office is the theme ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's a stretch even for the media to conject

That’s really interesting. Essentially, due to the tax write off (if you’re making profit and paying tax unlike say Blackpool Pleasure Beach) you can install ride equipment at no cost.

One would expect to see lots of new rides all over the UK being constructed then. Maybe next closed season will be extremely exciting.

This might also play into Universal GB; all their new ride hardware would be a tax write off…

First year tax deduction only, Is that the first year of a new business or, the first year that this discount applies?

If its new business only it won't apply to Merlin. If its first year for the discount I assume they only have one year to use it.

Last month people were talking about this project no longer happening in 2025 because of the lack of work and a cited 18 month build. I'm just wondering why the build time given is so long compared to other rollercoasters we're seeing this year? Drayton's new coaster (potentially a similar model) seems to be shooting up very quickly and the AT proposed location means work can take place during open season i believe?

Is is the construction of the outbuilding that extends the project time in particular? Is there a timeline on the supposedly similar ride at Legoland in the US?

Reactions: Ash
I wonder if they will give it a new project name given the negative attention it might get with the Horizon computer system in the Post Office scandal, unless the ups and downs of ruining a Post Office is the theme ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Postman Pat: Jess's Revenge.

(lets just hope any computer systems aren't installed by Fujitsu!)

The exterior of the building is themed to Fajitsu's UK headquarters in Berkshire. In the Pre-show, Mrs Goggins is being led away in handcuffs to be prosecuted for crimes she did not commit. Jess has turned evil and now sits upon the lap of Paula Vennells, who turns around in her chair "we've been expecting you".

Will you venture into the Horizon system and ride it's software to clear Mrs Goggins name? But be quick, Fajitsu have called for reinforcements from Japan, and a group of Post Office auditor goons are hot on your tail with briefcases full of fabricated evidence.