• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

A rant about a bad haircut

ScottishChris

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Legend
I'm feeling very depressed. Went for a haircut yesterday - to a new barber who has excellent reviews. I now have the worst haircut I have ever seen. It doesn't lie flat, its pretty much shaved short at the sides and long on the top and makes me look like Jim Carey in Dumb and Dumber, but with less hair around the sides. The most ridiculous thing is I said thank you and paid the guy - I'm far too british and polite.

I shall be wearing a hat for the foreseeable future.

I still like a nice crop, 2 in summer, 4 in winter, 3 in spring/autumn.
Every time I get nits, or woodlice, or every 3 months, whichever comes sooner.
The joys of gardening and crawling through bushes backwards.

I had a similar haircut when I was about 11, when I had to go last minute to a hairdresser who wasn’t my usual (I can’t remember why)… my dad referred to it as “the Dumb and Dumber cut”!

If it’s any consolation, hair does at least grow back, so it’s not permanent.

I also cheated on my regular barber just before Christmas and went to a different one, purely because they were open Sunday and it was the only chance I had. You can't mess up a 0.5 back and sides, but I normally have just about enough length on the top to brush it back and to the left. But he cut it too short and left it sticking up, leaving me looking like Dolph Lundgren in Rocky 4 if he ate too many Big Macs.

I don't even have baldness to look forward to so that I don't have to bother with it anymore as it doesn't run in my family.

I’ve been going to the same barber for 15 years. Tried a different one, once, never again.

I dread the day mine finishes working. I’ll just grow dreadlocks then.

I’ve been going to the same barber for 15 years. Tried a different one, once, never again.

I dread the day mine finishes working. I’ll just grow dreadlocks then.
Gone to the same barber for several years as well. He knows how I like my hair, and it's honestly never a dull moment in that place. His reaction when I came out to him (and the whole conversation beforehand) was hilarious. :p

I'm almost dreading the day I have to say 'Sod it' and get a number 2 (or shorter) all over. Yay, receding hairlines...On the flip side, I wouldn't mind reaching for the hair dye again at some point before I have to do the whole buzz cut thing. :p

is reaction when I came out to him (and the whole conversation beforehand) was hilarious. :p
You came out to your barber? Dang, I never knew that was on the list! My old barbers don't speak much English (one of the reasons I wanted to try somewhere else - they waxed your nose and set fire to your ears even when you said you didn't want it!).

The one big plus about my old place is they have pictures of Zak Efron, Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth on their wall. I guess that they have not actually cut their hair, and are a tool to point to in the hope you get something similar... but who knows? Maybe Mr. Hemsworth comes to Northern England every few weeks to get his hair cut by the esteemed gentlemen I had been going to for 5 years (have no clue what his name is, and I guess that if I were to ask he would simply stick a cotton bud covered in wax up my nose)

You came out to your barber? Dang, I never knew that was on the list! My old barbers don't speak much English (one of the reasons I wanted to try somewhere else - they waxed your nose and set fire to your ears even when you said you didn't want it!).

The one big plus about my old place is they have pictures of Zak Efron, Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth on their wall. I guess that they have not actually cut their hair, and are a tool to point to in the hope you get something similar... but who knows? Maybe Mr. Hemsworth comes to Northern England every few weeks to get his hair cut by the esteemed gentlemen I had been going to for 5 years (have no clue what his name is, and I guess that if I were to ask he would simply stick a cotton bud covered in wax up my nose)
Oh yeah, I did. He's a great guy (if a little crazy sometimes), and I got the sense he'd be fine with it, so I just took the opportunity when it presented itself. I mean, at that point, it was almost as though I couldn't not say it!

I go to the Turkish barbers now. They get fire and all sorts of fancy stuff going on. Razzle Dazzle. Plus, they let me get a pint from next door and sit there with it, win win.

Now that I've found a decent Turkish barber, I've been pretty pleased with them for a while to be fair.

I've recently found the Turkish barbers too. Great on the hair, well what's left, and the ears but the beard. Well, it ended up fair to, er, organised? It was like they stuck a George Michael beard on what was once a rugged forest.

So my solution now. Go to another barbers for my beard trim every few weeks and go to them for my hair.

My wife thinks I'm odd but it works.

My old barbers don't speak much English (one of the reasons I wanted to try somewhere else - they waxed your nose and set fire to your ears even when you said you didn't want it!).

I prefer going to the Turkish Barbers because they do the ear flaming and really take care to shave all the neck hair and stuff, the ear flaming really makes a difference I think.

I don't really have a regular barber, I generally go to the same shop, but will just take the next member of staff who is available. Also generally barbers (and especially Turkish barbers) do most of their work with the clippers, shaved sides and longer top is pretty standard, I saw someone who came in with shoulder length hair get told there is nothing they could do for him as the barber didn't know how to cut his hair!

I asked for a short back and sides but blended in and not cut too “high”… this is how I left 40 minutes later. I too felt like I belonged in dumb and dumber

Attachments

• IMG_9261.jpeg
    IMG_9261.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 28
I've had a few of these, it is just easier now for me to be confrontational if I do not like it and refuse payment or demand it is sorted. I've noticed lots of barbers in the area being new, giving equally as crap haircuts too.

I asked for a short back and sides but blended in and not cut too “high”… this is how I left 40 minutes later. I too felt like I belonged in dumb and dumber
Sides look fine, its the fringe that is a bit off.

Last edited:
Good News!

I went back to my old barbers and was confronted by a new member of staff who spoke absolutely zero English. After muddling around looking for old selfie to demonstrate what I was wanting haircut wise, he got to work. The chat, as expected, was non existent. I got the blade, the fire and the nose wax without even asking. It was the best darn haircut I have ever had.