• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

A Seaside Rendezvous - NoLimits Competition

Martin

TS Member
A Seaside Rendezvous - NoLimits Competition

16by5om.jpg

After the roaring success of 2009's homecoming gigs by local-boys-done-good rock giants Muse, which saw the population of the small seaside town of Teignmouth briefly double, the local council have decided to open a pleasure beach style seaside amusement park and resort to attract tourists all year round. A lottery grant and private investment from local investors have provided a strong enough financial foothold to get the project off the ground. The park will be built on a brownfield site close to the promenade, right on the sea front, and will extend out into the English Channel. The flagship attraction when the park opens in 2014/15 will be a custom built Maurer Sohne on a man-made island separated from the rest of the park. And this is where you come in.

While news of the development is scarce do to contractual agreements, by means of support for TST and goodwill for the strong relationship the team have with the industry, they have given us a unique opportunity to make a real mark on the 'Pleasure Beach, Blackpool of Devon'. I have been able to negotiate with Maurer, the park designers and the council to get TST a spot on the design team for the new rollercoaster. All TST members are free to design a ride and submit it to the judging panel (me, Maurer, the park and the council), and the winner, should it be good enough, will have the honour of having their ride constructed.

This sounds interesting, can I take part?
If you have the NoLimits software, then yes! All you have to do is download the track file below and build a Maurer coaster, spinner or X-Car, and submit it before the deadline of midnight August 1st. The ride can be whatever you like, providing it is fun, thrilling, and accessible for most people-so no kiddie coasters, no ultimate thrill coasters. Supports can not go in water and do not include theming, 3D objects, trees etc, and do not edit the land. The file is already terraformed to match the island the ride will be built on. You can NOT use tools to build the ride. No AHG, no Newton, no Elementary, no ASG or anything else. This is a test of your building quality, not how good you are at entering numbers into a box. If you post images of your ride or any other details which will give away what ride is yours or what your ride is like, you will be disqualified from the competition.

OK, I've built my ride, now what?
Give it a name and add your TST username to the end of it. Upload it to Mediafire or some other similar site where I can download it, and PM me the link. When the deadline passes, I will download all the rides, change the names to make them anonymous, and the judging process will begin. Rides will be judged on build quality, excitement, originality and suitability (is it too thrilling, too big, too long, etc). After the rides have been judged, we will match them up with their owner and reveal the results!

This sounds fishy, what's going on?
Not at all, the rides will be renamed to make them anonymous, so we judge the ride, not the person. To make it more democratic for TST, there will also be a 'Riders' Choice' award, where members of TST, both those entering the competition and not, will be able to download the rides and rank them. The winner of this will help inform our decision, and details will be released closer to the time. I won't be entering the competition, as that is unfair, although I'll submit a design in the Riders' Choice for fun.

OK, sign me up!
The link to download the file is below, best of luck! Feel free to ask questions and discuss in this topic!

http://www.mediafire.com/?0wy6fk0kah9z6e9

Best of luck!

So long story short, thrilling but not ridiculous? It's taken me about 2 hours to digest your original post Blaze... :p

Also, you said no 3ds or anything, what about building stuff out of supports?

Bear said:
So long story short, thrilling but not ridiculous? It's taken me about 2 hours to digest your original post Blaze... :p

Also, you said no 3ds or anything, what about building stuff out of supports?
Pretty much, yes. I'm thinking along the lines of Cheetah Hunt's blend of thrill and family appeal.

And you can build things with supports, but it won't affect the decision, the competition is to judge tide building, not object building. Besides, the park will design all the theming and buildings. ;)

Fredward said:
Oh my god your obsession with the sellouts Muse is ridiculous Blaze! ;) :p
Nothing to do with me that a seaside town that just so happens to be the home of a particular band wants to build an amusement park. ;)

Besides, the Iron Maiden set you had for about a year and your insistence on quoting the lyrics to When The Wild Wind Blows at any opportunity tells me you're in no position to judge. ;)

You're both as bad as each other! :p

Any chance that the judging round, or at some stage anyway, can involve photos? For those of us without Nolimts but that are quite curious to see what's made. Include overviews guys! Always impossible to tell things without a good overview. :)

Rupert said:
You're both as bad as each other! :p

Any chance that the judging round, or at some stage anyway, can involve photos? For those of us without Nolimts but that are quite curious to see what's made. Include overviews guys! Always impossible to tell things without a good overview. :)
I'll release pictures with the Rider's Choice, so people without NoLimits can at least get a look at the rides.

And of course, when the results are finalised there'll be pictures.

Blaze said:
the Iron Maiden set you had for about a year and your insistence on quoting the lyrics to When The Wild Wind Blows at any opportunity tells me you're in no position to judge. ;)

Yeah but Iron Maiden aren't sell outs! ;)

Forgot to mention this, and it's quite important, so I'll edit the first post as well.

You can NOT use tools to build the ride. No AHG, no Newton, no Elementary, no ASG or anything else. This is a test of your building quality, not how good you are at entering numbers into a box.

Cheers. :D

Blaze said:
Forgot to mention this, and it's quite important, so I'll edit the first post as well.

You can NOT use tools to build the ride. No AHG, no Newton, no Elementary, no ASG or anything else. This is a test of your building quality, not how good you are at entering numbers into a box.

Cheers. :D

I realise that this is really late and I'm in no position to enter the contest as there's nowhere near enough time left but this rule seems a bit unfair. I have never used track tools on a coaster I've uploaded (apart from AHG) because I haven't mastered them yet so this wouldn't really affect me. However, to me it feels like people are being penalised for doing things properly.

Making a coaster with track tools takes a lot more planning, time and understanding of maths and physics than messing about with nodes till it looks right and the forces are in check. It's not just a case of typing numbers into boxes, it requires quite a bit of brain work just to make a simple hill in Elementary.

I sort of understand why you would introduce this rule, it does make the contest accessible and I do like the fact that No Limits is so easy to use but it seems unfair to put the people who have worked hard to get to grips with the tools are effectively pushed out of the contest.

Surely a coaster contest should be about the end product no matter how it is achieved and about best realising the layout in your head. Using tools is an effective way of doing this and can help develop peoples' understanding of maths whereas tweaking nodes isn't exactly a life skill.

I use tools all the time, but like I said, this is a test of ability using nodes. It's unfair to allow people to use tools because those who can't will most likely be left behind. I'd probably have to judge rides built with tools and those without separately, by banning tools it levels the playing field.

I've always believed you can't use tools effectively unless you have good ability and understanding with hand building, so it keeps tool users like myself sharp-I haven't hand built a ride in a very long time.

I disagree it's harder using tools. With Newton, you can just tell it you want so many G forces and so much banking, and it will do it, and AHG covers any mistakes you might make handbuilding a ride, (and of course, with AHG you don't need to bank or heartline at all, it does everything for you,) but hand building takes a lot of time and effort going over every inch of track to get it just right on your own.

Another reason, mostly for Newton, is this competition uses a landscape, and as you can't import them into Newton, you'd have very little idea if your track fitted.

In that case, fair enough in some ways. I thought that you might be a long time purist hand-builder who had never got into using track tools. I've never really used Newton much as I'm still trying to get to grips with Elementary so I've no idea how easy it is in comparison.

However, I still think that tools are there to help you create your layout as well as possible, they are available to everyone for free and as you say, you can't create a good track without good hand building skills. So it's not like it completely undermines ability and creativity.

CGM I am sure another comp will come around which allows tools....

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

We've not had as many entries as we hoped, and I a aware a few people do have unfinished rides, so we're extending the deadline. You have until midnight on the 17th of this month.

Thanks.