• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Abandoned Theme Park Photos!

M

Mankey

For those who don't know, Nara Dreamland was a theme park in Japan (which was a massive rip off of disney parks) and in 2006 it was closed forever. Today I stumbled on some beautiful photos from both before and from recent years. There are some amazing photos where everything is overgrown and completely falling to pieces.

Enjoy chaps!

Click Here!

Mankey said:
For those who don't know, Nara Dreamland was a theme park in Japan (which was a massive rip off of disney parks) and in 2006 it was closed forever. Today I stumbled on some beautiful photos from both before and from recent years. There are some amazing photos where everything is overgrown and completely falling to pieces.

Enjoy chaps!

Click Here!

This one, has that American Adventure closed pictures feel - remorse.

However this one:

Novas said:
That's quite sad, it doesn't look like it was a write off of a park before it closed, unlike thishttp://www.themeparkreview.com/fantazyland/fantazyland.htm

:eek: - No idea how you found that Novas but oh my word!!! What the actual?

I was going to mention river country myself! and also Discovery Island which was an island zoo just across the lake from river country. I would link to some pics but I'm out right now. But they are well worth seeing, some of the creepiest theme park photos I've seen.

Edit: here's a link... http://shaneperez.blogspot.co.uk/2009/1 ... sland.html

It's been done again since too so there are more pics out there

I love abandoned theme park/attraction photos, and can often lose a few hours trawling the internet for them.

This is my favourite:

A place called Okpo park in South Korea, abandoned after a second fatality - a young child falling off the monorail-esque duck ride. In one of the links you can see the photographer's friend re-enacting this!

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/01/abandoned-amusement-parks.html

http://abandonedplaces.livejournal.com/1814560.html

I also love this place:

http://wackel.home.comcast.net/~wackel/Xanadu/index.html

Xanadu: Home of the Future was a strange tourist attraction in Florida, and was left to literally rot when the 'future' technology was rapidly overtaken by real life. There are some brilliant videos on youtube taken years after it had been abandoned, showing the building covered in mould and falling to pieces. It is a bit special to me because the cheap motel I stayed in on my first trip to Florida was just down the road from this place and we passed it on the bus everyday. It had just closed down when I was there and I remember wishing we could still go in because it looked so bizarre! I'm such a geek I even bought a book all about it and the 'technology' behind it!

I know it's been mentioned a couple of times but the River Country pictures are brilliant. There are also some good pictures online of the hotel Disney started to build as the other half of the Pop Century resort. It was left unfinished after 9/11, but right opposite the finished half of the hotel and in full view! It has now been rebuilt as the Art of Animation resort.

Trixico said:
Not a theme park exactly, but these photos of the long since closed River Country in WDW freaked me out.

http://www.moderndayruins.com/2008/01/disneys-river-country.html

I'm surprised Disney leave it standing in that condition. For a company so concerned with their image, I thought they'd remove it the first time photos like this showed up online.

How very fascinating! These couple of pictures surprised me!
2008-02-12--23_Florida_130.jpg

2008-02-12--23_Florida_157.jpg

Same with in Earthwürm's set!

disc1.jpg

disc2.jpg

The lights are still on! Does this mean Disney is STILL paying the electricity bill for something they've left to rot? Why?

Pictures of the SBNO Six Flags always fascinate me. I think it's just the fact that one day everyone was enjoying the rides, laughing, making memories and then, all of a sudden - it all stopped and was left to rot.

They sold a few of the rides but I'm surprised at how much of it is still standing, all these years later.

Isn't there one near Berlin? Pretty sure the final scenes of the film Hannah were shot there.

Niques said:
Pictures of the SBNO Six Flags always fascinate me. I think it's just the fact that one day everyone was enjoying the rides, laughing, making memories and then, all of a sudden - it all stopped and was left to rot.

They sold a few of the rides but I'm surprised at how much of it is still standing, all these years later.

I believe they tried to remove the rides but were stopped as they had stopped paying their lease after the hurricane so technically no longer owned the land or anything on it. That would make sense as to why nothing else has gone, the city of New Orleans has bigger things to worry about.

Earthwürm said:
Niques said:

I believe they tried to remove the rides but were stopped as they had stopped paying their lease after the hurricane so technically no longer owned the land or anything on it. That would make sense as to why nothing else has gone, the city of New Orleans has bigger things to worry about.

You would think they would make it a priority to sell off the rides to raise cash?

Ash84 said:
Great pics guys, got to say that woodie in the first park looks rather decent!

Ash

Heh maybe.
Don't take it as fact anyway, just something I seem to remember reading somewhere.

Some rather sad news today. Everyone's favourite abandoned Disney rip-off theme park is being levelled. The Daily Mail has an article on it here.

article-2322754-19B6907D000005DC-659_472x678.jpg

R.I.P :'(

What a great shot! Such a shame that they're ripping it down, looks like it could have been immense from the small sample that was actually built.

article-2322754-19B6AFA8000005DC-446_964x640.jpg