• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Facts

The first rollercoaster at the park was the Corkscrew. It was removed in 2008, and a peice of its track now lies in the entrance plaza. If you walk up close, you can see a list of facts about the ride.

.First Installed 1980
Removed 2008
Opening Date 4th April 1980
Location Ug Land
Cost £1.25 million
Manufacturer Vekoma
Designer Arrow Dynamics
Type Of Ride Corkscrew
Track Length 728 metres
Height Of Drop 23 metres
Maximum Speed 44 mph (70 km/h)
Maximum G Force 3.1 G
Ride Duration Approx. 1 minute, 45 seconds
Capacity 48
Throughput 1,100 people per hour
Seating Arrangement 2 trains, 6 cars per train, 2 row per car, 2 seats per row
Restraint Type Shoulder restraints
Height Restriction Must be at least 1.2 metres

(Thanks ot Alton towers almanac for the info)

Maya said:
TH13TEEN is the most expensive ride at the Alton Towers Resort and costed 15 million pounds, however SW7, the new ride to open next year will cost 20 million.

Could it be argued that Thirteen in fact isn't the most expensive ride at the park if you take into account inflation?

In todays money, the following rides would cost:

Nemesis: £16m
Oblivion: £17.2m
Air: £15.6m

Is SW7 really going to cost £20m?

AirFAN said:
Is SW7 really going to cost £20m?

No, it's just the quoted budget. Like Thirteen, it won't actually reach that, it's just a nice round number for publicity.

Danny said:
Despite popular claims and beliefs, the corkscrews in the entrance plaza AREN'T part of a current existing ride that can be ridden ::)
There was me planning to go to the towers just to ride that one and to ride oblivion in reverse...

Hex - Legend of the Towers does not actually take place in the original Towers despite belief.

Alexsutton said:
I thought that The Blade and Ripsaw were suposed to be excavation machines used when digging uo the Nemesis creature.

Nope... I believe they are in fact rides! ;)

Stelios said:
Hex - Legend of the Towers does not actually take place in the original Towers despite belief.

You mean the actual Madhouse part doesn't. Obviously the rest of the ride is within the Towers.

Yeah I did mean that.

Remember to deny the non-enthusiasts claim of Rita being the fastest ride when it's a few mph lower than Oblivion's 68mph.

I'd also recommend using some of the facts from the Alton app.

Alton towers has links with Shrewsbury.
It was the seat of the Earl of Shrewsbury and Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 20th Earl of Shrewsbury. He also started the Talbot car company.

The Monorail is from the Expo 86 transportation Fair, held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. When the fair closed down it was relocated to AT. It a Swiss built Von Roll Seilbahnen AG Mark II,

The Monorail was opened on the 13 august 1987 by William Shatner (captain kirk). both him and George Takei (Mr. Sulu) where meant to open it together, but George got held up by fog at Heathrow airport.

The designer of the Towers, *Forgot his first name* Pugin, also designed the Houses of Commons.

:)

Adz95 said:
The designer of the Towers, *Forgot his first name* Pugin, also designed the Houses of Commons.

:)

parliament* more importantly big ben.

"Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin 1812-1852" he also designed alton castle in the village, and St. Giles' church in Cheadle, not so far away.

The show It's A Knockout had a special edition at Alton Towers back in 1987 starring the Royal family, many famous celebrities and entertainers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRB0EK0w3c[/youtube]

The lyrics to ITHOTMK
Slagt ham! Kristenmands søn har dåret
Dovregubbens veneste mø!
Slagt ham!
Slagt ham!
(a troll-imp): Må jeg skjære ham i fingeren?
(another troll-imp): Må jeg rive ham i håret?
(a troll-maiden): Hu, hej, lad mig bide ham i låret!
(a troll-witch with a ladle): Skal han lages til sod og sø?
(another troll-witch, with a butcher knife): Skal han steges på spid eller brunes i gryde?
(the Mountain King): Isvand i blodet!
English

Slay him! The Christian's son has bewitched
The Mountain King's fairest daughter!
Slay him!
Slay him!

May I hack him on the fingers?
May I tug him by the hair?
Hu, hey, let me bite him in the haunches!
Shall he be boiled into broth and bree to me
Shall he roast on a spit or be browned in a stewpan?

Ice to your blood, friends!

Here's one from a certain 10th anniversary event.. :)

Half of Toyland Tour's queueline tugboat still exists within the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory building.