• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Live - Saturday 6th July 2013

Surely all food/drink within the arena was outsourced to an external company or provided by the event organisers? Therefore it wouldn't be down to Towers to set these prices?

I'm just presuming though.

AstroDan said:
The park should have been open to concert guests only; that way the standard day ticket holders wouldn't have felt like they were missing out.

Food and Beverage prices aside, I enjoyed the event.

£4 for a tiny bottle of lager though... just terrible.
How would that work exactly for the huge amounts of guests using bogof who don't pre book and travel for a day out? Would they just not feel even more hard done by?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BigAl said:
Alton have been charging people £4 for magnums and other ice lollies / ice creams in the queue for The Smiler. If someone offered you a magnum and a small bottle of lager for £8, you'd think they were pulling your leg. :p

£4 for an ice lolly???!! OMG. Mind you, given the hot weather and the cattlepen hell hole and the long queues i'm surprised they havent put the price of a bottled drinks up to a fiver to cash in.

GaryH said:
BigAl said:
Alton have been charging people £4 for magnums and other ice lollies / ice creams in the queue for The Smiler. If someone offered you a magnum and a small bottle of lager for £8, you'd think they were pulling your leg. :p

£4 for an ice lolly???!! OMG. Mind you, given the hot weather and the cattlepen hell hole and the long queues i'm surprised they havent put the price of a bottled drinks up to a fiver to cash in.
Don't tempt them!

If people are willing to pay these stupid prices then you can't really blame the attractions. They are there to make money after all. :p People can take their own things in if they don't agree with the pricing, and if others stopped paying these prices, perhaps these attractions might see that people aren't happy and lower them.

AstroDan said:
The park should have been open to concert guests only; that way the standard day ticket holders wouldn't have felt like they were missing out.

Towers really really don't want drunken people at their concerts so they are deliberately priced high to dissuade drinkers. The Water park beers are the same.

BigAl said:
If people are willing to pay these stupid prices then you can't really blame the attractions. They are there to make money after all. :p People can take their own things in if they don't agree with the pricing, and if others stopped paying these prices, perhaps these attractions might see that people aren't happy and lower them.

People sometimes don't think about how hot it is going to be, and prepare for it. E.g take more cool drinks.

I am waiting for heat related colapes to start happening in the smiler queueline. with the design of it, and low amounts of access points for staff. it worries me that if a certain amout of colapes happen it going to
A) Put AT medical service under strain.
B) Throw doubt on Queueline safety.
C) Make Alton Towers look they are more intrested in making money then Guest health care.

Most people will when they feel rough due to heat will buy cold drink and ice lollies to cut down/ stop heat stress affecting them.

delta79 said:
BigAl said:

People sometimes don't think about how hot it is going to be, and prepare for it. E.g take more cool drinks.

I am waiting for heat related colapes to start happening in the smiler queueline. with the design of it, and low amounts of access points for staff. it worries me that if a certain amout of colapes happen it going to
C) Make Alton Towers look they are more intrested in making money then Guest health care.

Most people will when they feel rough due to heat will buy cold drink and ice lollies to cut down/ stop heat stress affecting them.

I saw a lady using a umbrella in the queueline to protect her from the sun which is a good idea plus it keeps the vom off you from when guests are ill on the ride. :p

Natalie said:
delta79 said:
BigAl said:

I saw a lady using a umbrella in the queueline to protect her from the sun which is a good idea plus it keeps the vom off you from when guests are ill on the ride. :p
I took I'll in the queue line this week, and there was no way for me to get out. We had to continue forward, as and when the queue moved. Eventually we got out the sun and inside, only for it to break down. When we eventually got to the front of the queue, I collapsed on the stairs to the station.

Awkward.

Shortly afterwards I was sick everywhere, and long story short, I'm now in hospital.

So, from a medical point of view, the queue like is horrendous. There's no shade, the emergency access gates are locked up (to stop access to ride area, I know). There is little room to move, so if you are Ill like I was your only option is to proceed forward, or retreat backwards, depending on your location. Either way, it's a difficult job.

The lack of shade in that queue is dire, and being in a concrete box does not help. It's easily one of, if not the worst queue I've ever been in. Shockingly bad planning. Whoever was in charge of designing that queue should be chained up and left in the middle of it to rot.

I hope it's nothing too serious, T. Given you are still in hospital, it would seem to indicate this is something more than a bit of heat stroke? (Totally understand if you don't want to go in to detail, so I won't ask). Either way, get well soon mate.

evilcod said:
AstroDan said:

How would that work exactly for the huge amounts of guests using bogof who don't pre book and travel for a day out? Would they just not feel even more hard done by?

I'm sure vouchers weren't accepted on the T's and C's?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure but still.... What they do about people who turn up on the day. Which will happen.

evilcod said:
Not sure but still.... What they do about people who turn up on the day. Which will happen.

I accept that some people still appear, but it was clear that Alton Towers, with their 1.2million Facebook followers, were making every effort to tell everyone about the event.

For those non AT-Live guests, I very much doubt a great experience was had at the park on Saturday.

GaryH said:
BigAl said:

I got a ice cream in The Smiler queueline shop for £2 last week? Pretty much standard price.

Well I feel sorry for the two guys that were in front of me, Alastair and Danny on The Smiler's opening day that purchased two for £8. You can buy a pack of 8 from Tesco for £4! :p

AstroDan said:
evilcod said:
AstroDan said:

I'm sure vouchers weren't accepted on the T's and C's?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
No vouchers were accepted on the day. The overwhelming amount of guests were there for the concert, so it's obvious they can sell themselves and don't need to do day visitors as well.

The idea, if people remember, for Black Eyed Peas etc was to be concert only. But ticket sales flopped, so they got scared off. Maybe if ATL is consistently popular they'll make them concert only eventually.