Alton Towers Oktoberfest 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 18th Feb 2020.

1. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    Longer hours hopefully, dark rides, Currywurst and much drinking is all we ask Merlin, even you lot can pull this off. I want to be fat, drunk and get a fair few rides and I'm happy as can be.

Charlie Newbold and Rojo like this.
  2. Tentaclaws

Tentaclaws TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Tentaclaws
    Brilliant news and no matter how the event pans out, so nice to not only see a new offering, but something surprising! I think if Towers had teased a new event for this year, nobody would have guessed Oktoberfest, which in itself is a nice change.

3. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

I'm not sure, they are struggling to get rid of those large over pric...sized(!) Wicker Man mugs. A bit of Ein Prosit and human sacrifice. How very Germanic!

Seriously though this could be a great event. Merlin, please don't screw it up!

4. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Upcharge Olympia Munich Looping on the lawns?

ThisGuy, Charlie Newbold and MattyH like this.
  5. IDB

IDB TowersStreet Member

Hopefully travellers day doesn’t shift making the park dry for a day.

6. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    This is brilliant news, a new event is exactly what is needed and Oktoberfest is perfect. I initially thought that a new event would have been better in the summer period and wasn't keen on the idea of all of the events at Alton Towers being stacked up at the end of the season. However the summer is already busy at Towers, so an event in late September/early October helps to bring in more guests at a time when the park might be a little quieter.

Really hoping that they do go all out with this and get in some good German beer and food.

I love the Oktoberfest logo as well!

owentaylor121, Tibble, Rojo and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Nice to see some extra events coming in. Hopefully see some more earlier in the year if this is a success.

8. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Yep this is all about trying to spread out the crowds and get people to visit in the off-peak season between summer holidays and ScareFest.

It would be great to see more events in general, but I don't expect to see Christmas expanded, they can make good money from the hotel stays for the Santa Sleepovers and deliver a fairly high quality experience. Open the gates to everyone and they would get a load of MAP holders that therefore makes them no additional money but adds to the queues making the experience worse for the guests in the hotel. Better to offer a well-priced quality experience that makes money.
    It would be nice to see an Easter event or another thing between Easter and summer.

9. Boothy

Boothy TowersStreet Member

Well I, for one, am very excited about this.

10. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Last edited: 19th Feb 2020
    MakoMania, ThisGuy, jon81uk and 2 others like this.
  11. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

12. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Fixed :)

Steve74 likes this.
  13. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Late night rides sounds good, though wary of them being "selected". Suspect it'll be the very front of the park: Wicker Man, Mutiny Bay, Spinball

jon81uk likes this.
  14. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    If Wicker Man is included in the late night rides, I'm not complaining! I'd love to experience that ride at night, as I'm sure many others would!

Even though the drinking aspect doesn't personally interest me at all, I think that this event is a really good experiment by Alton Towers, and I sincerely hope it's successful so that we see more similar stuff in the future!

15. Steve74

That's probably true but don't forget at Scarefest, it is selected rides too - Rapids & most (all?) CBeebies rides closed after dark. Fingers crossed they are just referring to rides that can open after dark.

16. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I don't mind if only some of the park is open in the evening for evening rides. The primary focus of the event will hopefully be the Oktoberfest food, drink and entertainment. Rides such as Wicker Man in the evening to supplement this would be great, but there's probably not much point having Forbidden Valley or Dark Forest open as they will be away from the event zone.

Steve74, AT86 and jon81uk like this.
  17. Steve74

Maybe it'll be in theFountain Square and Hex will be in German for the event! :D:p

ThisGuy likes this.
  18. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I’m cool with selected late night rides. I doubt the event will be busy enough to warrant the whole park being open and as Rob says hopefully the focus will be on the food, drink and ents

AT86 likes this.
  19. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Hope they transform Royal Carousel into a spinning drinking bar like at Winter Wonderland, that’d be marvellous and obviously would never happen.

Joel3 likes this.
  20. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

There is also the need to start small so to speak. I would much rather they did it well and grow the event over the years, as opposed to trying to do to much too soon and end up cancelling it because it didn’t pull in enough guests in the first year to warrant the outlay.

Alsty likes this.