• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Oktoberfest 2020

Given they usually have a stage for Franklin and the other characters, it would make sense for ScareFest to keep the same stage and tables really as it helps with the social distancing compared to the standing room on fountain square. They could run the family entertainment until 7pm or similar then offer something more adult such as a band for the last couple of hours and do a ScareFest version of Oktoberfest.

Yup there's a massive opportunity to really think about how they can merge the work put into the Oktoberfest setup to be used into Scarefest and later into Fireworks and maybe even into their Christmas offerings. Hopefully it's something they're thinking about.

Very, very impressed with the event from Saturday. The food is expensive, but I tried the bratwurst and split the mexican fries with a friend and they were very nice! Also had a toasted marshmallow around 8:15 which is a nice touch being able to toast it over the fire yourselves. The roaming entertainment is great, the performers on stage are also fantastic! Really, really hope to see this event return next year! 10/10 from me to be honest!

It's only available on The Smiler, Wicker Man and Nemesis according to the app - or at least it was last week

It also now appears to include Spinball Whizzer, again for £10.

Anyway straying off topic again here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If the BBC reporting is accurate that pubs, restaurants and I'm guessing anything with an alcohol license, will be restricted to table service, I'm guessing we'll be seeing a major change in Oktoberfest operations by the end of the week.

Thorpe's version in its cramped space looks a little doomed.

That's a very good point actually. In fact, not a single food outlet at Alton Towers is table service (unless that has changed this year, I've not been so would not know).

I wonder if for Oktoberfest they would be able to get around it because technically you are purchasing food and beers to take away to a larger communal seating area? It's not a typical sit in restaurant/pub environment.

I suspect most of the fast food options at Towers could be classed as takeaway. I'm not sure Just Chicken has seats at the moment, don't believe Dark Forest Burger Kitchen ever opened, and the Oktoberfest ones certainly are.

I would guess the alcohol licensing doesn't really allow itself to be classed as take away. The signs at the perimeter stating the limits to where alcohol can be taken, would make me think the lawns are the licensed area and so serving alcohol will require table service.

If the BBC reporting is accurate that pubs, restaurants and I'm guessing anything with an alcohol license, will be restricted to table service, I'm guessing we'll be seeing a major change in Oktoberfest operations by the end of the week.

Thorpe's version in its cramped space looks a little doomed.
Would it apply in this case though as many of these rules only apply to indoor situations - the whole area is outdoors and there is a much greater area to socially distance queue, unlike a cramped pub . I'm guessing they have plastic screens up at the bar as well, so if you SD queue, wear a mask, pay for and be given your pint from behind a screen, how is that any less safe than members of staff running around all those tables delivering drinks?

As it stands at the moment, everything is pure speculation. We'll need to wait until the full details come out tonight and subsequent legislation is published. Without that we're just playing guessing games

That's a very good point actually. In fact, not a single food outlet at Alton Towers is table service (unless that has changed this year, I've not been so would not know).

I wonder if for Oktoberfest they would be able to get around it because technically you are purchasing food and beers to take away to a larger communal seating area? It's not a typical sit in restaurant/pub environment.

Woodcutters may be the only place left open!

I suspect that at least some of the outlets will fall into the takeaway definition, as they’re essentially just food vans.

Number all the outdoor tables...social distanced queue for a table, online ordering and payment, jogging waiting staff?

I got the impression the new rules are more around places who primarily offer alcohol now need to have table service.
I assume as long as you go up to the counter with a mask on and don’t remove it until seated the fast food places (burger kitchen and chicken place) will operate the same as kfc and Pret do.

So errm Alton Towers, this is the kind of promo material you should be producing to advertise the event!

They have put out something similar, just with added focus on the covid stuff
Those photoshop images to try and sell Oktoberfest were bad, but the stuff being put out by the park now the event is on makes it look fantastic. This video really sells the event and the park in general

Towers Times are reporting that Oktoberfest has changed slightly to comply with the new Coronavirus rules. You must now be seated and then remain seated at the table. You put your hand up when you want service and they will then bring the drinks to you and take payment via contactless card.